Elk Hunt

I made my annual $20 donation, and new this year, a $20 donation for my son.

I have no doubt that he will get drawn, he is a lucky little sucker. lol

Well if you're paying his fee, sounds like you're more than entitled to be his one legal accompanying "observer", and I'd say you're pretty well entitled to a good 40 or 50 pounds of meat :lol2:

Assuming with $20 donations, you were only putting in for the bull firearm and cow firearm draws? That's what I did.

So what does this actually cost a person to do this?

Well if you're a Kentucky resident, it's the cheapest elk hunt anyone can get. There's the cost of the drawing entry, which is $10-$40, depending on which combination of hunting options you enter for. Then there's the $20 hunting license and the elk permit, which are both only required if you are drawn. Elk permits run $60 for a cow elk, and $100 for a bull elk. Beyond that, it's on you depending on what you spend for gear and whether or not you pay a guide. Guides are not required, but they are highly recommended because they generally work on obtaining hunting access on privately owned lands. If you don't have access to privately owned lands, your hunting is limited to the wildlife management areas in the elk restoration zone, which is something like 1/50th of the total acreage of the elk restoration zone.

Guides, for what it's worth, cost $750 and up.