10th Region Recap and Rankings - 12/19

mcpapa

While the 10th may not be one of the Commonwealth's powerhouse regions, the first quarter of the season has been both unpredictable and competitive. At least a half dozen squads look to have the talent and coaching to make a serious run at Rupp come tourney time. Here is this week's recap, beginning with the always-a-crapshoot regional rankings.

1. Campbell County (6-1, 2-1 region). The Camels came off the puzzling loss at Bracken County with three quality wins last week. Three Camels hit double figures as the Camels blitzed the Paris Greyhounds, 80-53, getting 13 from Cole Hegyi and 15 from Garren Bertsch and Joel Day. Hegyi leads the team in scoring and rebounds at 20.0/5.9. Thursday saw coach Russell's squad win a squeaker, with junior Tanner Clos hitting a pair of game-winning free throws to seal the 61-59 win over previously undefeated Dixie Heights. Finally, Bertsch tallied a career-high 31 as the Camels bested NewCath in the John Turner classic by the score of 74-63, with Hegyi contributing 25.

2. Scott (5-2, 4-0 region). The rankings get tougher from here. Scott gets the nod at this point in time, largely on the strength of the 10th's only unblemished regional record. The week saw the Eagles fall to Holy Cross by the score of 77-73, despite a 44-point effort from the 10th's leading scorer, senior guard Jake Ohmer. Ohmer is averaging 31PPG and is 18-30 from distance, a sweet 60% clip. The Eagles rebounded from the loss to Cross with a 64-56 win over Aiken (OH).

3. Clark County (4-4, 3-1 region). The Cardinals started slow, dropping a 49-45 decision at Woodford County but bounced back strong with a 66-44 drubbing of 40th district rival Bourbon County behind 19/7/4 from junior Ryan Cooper, a double-double from Will Philpot and a 10-assist effort from Jordan Graham.

4. Paris (4-4, 3-1 region). Coach Brooks' Greyhounds were poised to jump to the top of the heap early, but this week put an end to that. Eric Johnson was the only Greyhound to reach double figures in the 80-53 drubbing at the hands of Campbell County, and two losses out west in the Murray Bank Classic left the Hounds on the wrong end of an 0-3 week.

5. Mason County (5-4, 2-2 region). Coach Biggs' Royals began the week with an impressive 76-61 win over 39th-district rival Bracken County on the strength of 31 points from Isaiah Garrison and 13 from freshman Sam Kumler. Mason County then played back-to-back games on Friday and Saturday, besting East Carter 78-66 behind 24 from Dunaway and a career-high 22 from Kumler; then falling to Male at home by 7.

6. Bourbon County (2-5, 2-2 region). Colonels took on two 40th district foes last week. Began with a 66-57 win over Montgomery County. Three in double figures - Blackburn with 20, Wilson 18 and Ranson 17. Friday found coach Sosby's squad on the wrong end of the 66-44 game in Winchester.

7. Bracken County (4-3, 3-2 region). Austin Crawford led all scorers in the 76-61 loss to Mason County at The Fieldhouse with 33 points. Coach Hinson's Polar Bears bounced back with a 65-53 win over Bishop Brossart behind Crawford's 33/12/7 stat-filling game.

8. Pendleton County (3-4, 2-2 region). Coach Belcher's Wildcats are one of a number of teams still trying to find consistency; splitting a pair of non-region tilts late last week; defeating Tates Creek 79-57 before falling to Beechwood 55-49. Soph phenom Dontaie Allan averages a double-double at 29.3/12.7; and notched his 1,000th point and 400th rebound in a Monday ten-point win over Augusta.

9. Nicholas County (5-2, 3-2 region). The surprising Bluejackets went undefeated this week with wins over Fleming County (69-62) and 38th district foe Robertson County (67-62) behind the 1-2 punch of Trent Letcher and Spencer Morris.

10. Montgomery County (2-6, 0-2 region). The Indians are still struggling without senior Jerryd Jones and haven't tasted victory since the first week of the season; and dropped all three games this week (Bourbon County, Taylor County, Franklin County). They are led in scoring by super soph Brennan Canada.

The rest:

11. Harrison County (1-6, 0-2) Finally got in the win column at Grant County

12. Robertson County (7-3, 1-2) 3 straight wins out west, played Nicholas tough

13. Augusta (4-5, 1-3) Fighting a 3-game losing streak

14. Bishop Brossart (1-7, 1-1) 32-point loss to Highlands exposed the 'stangs' youth

15. St. Patrick (3-3, 0-2) Fighting the injury bug

16. Calvary Christian (4-2, 1-2) Akeem Riley one of the 10th's best-kept secrets

17. Silver Grove (0-7, 0-1) Struggling to put the ball in the basket

Player of the Week. Campbell County senior swingman Garrett Bertsch, tallying 15, 13 and the career-high 31 in the Camels' three wins last week.

Games to watch this week:

Campbell County @ Holmes, 12/20

Scott - Central Hardin, 12/21, SKIT

Paris @ Nicholas County, 12/22

Mason County/Madison Central, 12/22, Murph Classic

Bracken County/Madison Central, 12/23, Murph Classic

St. Patrick @ Augusta, 12/19 (how many Polar Bears in attendance)

Edited by mcpapa

Very close to what I had:

1. Campbell County

2. Scott

3. George Rogers Clark

4. Paris

5. Bourbon County

6. Mason County

7. Bracken County

8. Montgomery County

9. Pendleton County

10. Bishop Brossart

11. Nicholas County

12. Harrison County

13. Robertson County

14. Augusta

15. Calvary Christian

16. Saint Patrick

17. Silver Grove

I definitely agree with Papa's statement about this being very, very weak. I also agree it's super competitive. Nothing will surprise me this year other than whoever wins this region beating anyone at Rupp

Edited by AndOneDad
Spell check error

I agree that the Region is down year however Campbell has played some other the top teams in the 9th as well and won those games as well. With wins over Holmes, Newport Central Catholic and the undefeated Dixie Colonels. I feel Campbell would be a competitor in the 9th for a top spot with the way they have been playing. They face off against Covington Catholic in a few weeks and that will be a great test for the Camels.

I agree that the Region is down year however Campbell has played some other the top teams in the 9th as well and won those games as well. With wins over Holmes, Newport Central Catholic and the undefeated Dixie Colonels. I feel Campbell would be a competitor in the 9th for a top spot with the way they have been playing. They face off against Covington Catholic in a few weeks and that will be a great test for the Camels.

I also wonder if Campbell Co is separating themselves from the pack. The loss to Bracken is a bit of a head scratcher, but outside of that game, their results aren't far from a top 25 team in the state.

I also wonder if Campbell Co is separating themselves from the pack. The loss to Bracken is a bit of a head scratcher, but outside of that game, their results aren't far from a top 25 team in the state.

My sentiments exactly......If they play CovCath close....... I'll retract my statement because Cov Cath could easily win it all. They are definitely a state top 5 team.