Neighbor's Dogs...

I almost killed them yesterday. At the property I hunt on, it's never been an issue until this year. They've run around the front of the property near the road barking up a storm before, but I normally hunt the back half so it wasn't a huge deal.

Anyways, I was walking to my stand yesterday and they came charging at me(there were 4). They circled around me barking and growling and came within about 20 yards or so. Scared the absolute hell out of me. I threw a rock and yelled at them, and they finally left.

They came onto the property barking at me again today, but not like yesterday.

I told the land owner(he doesn't actually live there) and he told me not to think twice and start shooting if I see them on the property again. And yesterday, I would have felt completely justified doing it, not really today.

What's your policy about dogs?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shooting a dog if I was surrounded as you were. Negative association seeing fido friend shot would go long way in curbing them "running that property again."

The flip side to that is dog owners who let theirs roam with hunters orange collar on and they are civil. I'm ok not seeing a deer due to a dog/s who aren't showing fangs and surrounding me! Hope that helps...

You are in a pickle since you don't own the land and don't want to jeopardize your hunting privileges. If dogs came at me on my property buzzards would be there in a few hours. If you do decide to take them you are welcome to hunt on my farm. Dog owners can suck.

At one time, we had neighbors move in on both sides of us a couple houses down and they had a boxer, a boxer mix and a small Doberman. They had chased me onto our patio while I was working in my flower beds when I had not seen them, and I have a really bad back. At the time we also had 4 small grandchildren who were out playing on the gym set and riding in our driveway. We went to each house and told them we would shoot them if it wasn't taken care of. One owner of the small Doberman was moving anyway and I think the other two are kept on a chain or leash. But my husband would shoot them if us or our grandchildren see them on our property. Plus we reported it to the local warden. I hate to even hit anything with my car, but you are within your rights to protect yourself. Whomever owns these animals have probably been warned by the neighbors who are there all the time.

Personally I couldn't shoot one unless it really attempted to attack me. If I'm armed, I'll take my chances with one actually running at me attempting to attack. Couldn't shoot one for barking at me 20 yards away. All dogs are different so you never know what one is going to do, much less a pack of them, but I'm also a firm believer that dogs can sense fear. IMO, you did right by standing your ground and yelling/throwing the rock at them. Now they know your are the Alpha, which honestly is probably why they didn't harass you as bad the next time you encountered them.

Given how you described the situation between the land owner and the dog owners, I would leave the dogs alone and let the land owner deal with that mess. The last thing you want is to have to deal with an armed man for shooting one of his dogs while your on someones land that he doesn't like... Just sayin..

Personally I couldn't shoot one unless it really attempted to attack me. If I'm armed, I'll take my chances with one actually running at me attempting to attack. Couldn't shoot one for barking at me 20 yards away. All dogs are different so you never know what one is going to do, much less a pack of them, but I'm also a firm believer that dogs can sense fear. IMO, you did right by standing your ground and yelling/throwing the rock at them. Now they know your are the Alpha, which honestly is probably why they didn't harass you as bad the next time you encountered them.

Given how you described the situation between the land owner and the dog owners, I would leave the dogs alone and let the land owner deal with that mess. The last thing you want is to have to deal with an armed man for shooting one of his dogs while your on someones land that he doesn't like... Just sayin..

According to dog owners, they always have their dogs under control. If dogs are in the wild, they must be wild Dogs and a danger to all.

Just ask any dog owner.

You hate babies too? :lol2: My goodness man.

Love dogs! My beef is with the dog owners that let the dogs do what dogs do. Keep em in your own yard.

As for babies????? That one all bundled up in white is awful cute!

Not really. TAC lives close to the country and nobody ties their dogs up in the country.

The guy across the street has an invisible fence and actually uses it. He has 4 barkers and must be deaf. Owners up the street have the invisible fence but don't like to use it because the collar is uncomfortable for the dog??????? Owner down the street lets his dog run, but for some reason it does not come in my yard. :sssh:

Any given time you can drive down my street and see a dog or two or three randomly walking around. The wife won't even walk the street any more. That is a problem!

I would never shoot a domesticated dog unless threatened. If I was in the situation like you where 4 were surrounding me, they would get one warning shot for the Glock. After that I'd have to start putting them down.

I use to think like this until my son was attacked by a roaming beagle when he was 5 or so...he's 22 now and still has the scars around his eye....We, and he at the time, thought the dog wasn't aggressive, went to pet it (it was in our yard) and was attacked.

I don't always pull the trigger, because I'm compassionate about God's animals, but any dog that shows teeth sleeps deep...