Inside the 9th Region (2/15)

Walter

It is finally here. The final week of the regular season. District match ups have been set and teams are getting ready for what they hope will be a long post season run. Let's take a look at last week's action and review this week's top 10.

1. Covington Catholic (21-6)

Winners of 10 straight now, the Colonels are absolutely rolling after beating Newport (63-32), Ryle (63-46), and Dixie Heights (58-31). Andy Flood led the Colonels in their games against Newport (22 pts, 8 rbs) Dixie Heights (17 pts, 10 rbs), while CJ Fredrick put up a game high 20 points against the Red Colonels and tied with Cole Vonhandorf for team high in points against Ryle with 14.

Up Next: 2/16 v Simon Kenton, 2/19 at Madison Central, 2/20 v Highlands

2. Newport Central Catholic (21-4)

In their only game last week, the Breds absolutely dominated Holmes in a 59-41 victory. Down two starters, Ben Weyer led Ron Dawn's squad with 23 points and double figure rebounds. The Breds shot 49% from the floor, while limiting Holmes to just 31% for the game. That type of defensive effort will be needed as the Breds look to make a deep post season run.

Up Next: 2/15 v Bellevue, 2/18 v Conner

3. Cooper (21-3)

After winning 8 straight, and 5 without leading scorer Sean McNeil, the Jaguars finally had a slip up with a 69-53 home loss to Campbell County. Adam Kunkel finished with 14 pts, 8 rbs followed by Chris McNeil with 11 points. The Jaguars responded, however, with a 60-27 win over Ludlow behind 13 points from senior Trevor Rohlman.

Up Next: 2/16 at Dixie Heights, 2/19 v Scott

4. Holy Cross (19-7)

After picking up a 67-58 win over Dixie Heights earlier in the week, the Indians had one of their biggest slip ups of the season as they fell to Beechwood 49-47 in a game that would have clinched the #1 seed in the 35th district tournament. Leighon Schrand led Holy Cross with 21 pts, 7 rebounds in the win over Dixie and 14 points in the loss to Beechwood. Tyler Bezold finished with 15 points in both games.

Up Next: 2/15 v Newport, 2/19 at St Henry

5. Conner (15-8)

The Cougars move up in the rankings this week after a 71-56 win over Highlands. In that game, Michael Scott scored his 1,000th career point in a 17 point effort. Spencer Hemmerich led the Cougars with 23 points. Big week ahead for Jim Hicks' team as they look to close out the regular season with two road wins.

Up Next: 2/16 at Holmes, 2/18 at Newport Central Catholic

6. Holmes (11-11)

Tough week for the Bulldogs as they fell 59-41 to Newcath in their only game last week and found out today that they will meet Covcath in the first round of the district tournament. Markel McClendon led Holmes with 14 points in the loss to Newcath. With the Bulldogs having a season that many didn't expect in the preseason, the key for them will simply be to close out this week strong and head in to the district tournament with a couple wins and confidence.

Up Next: 2/16 v Conner, 2/19 at Simon Kenton

7. St Henry (12-14)

The Crusaders had a solid week last week, picking up wins over Beechwood (51-44) and Newport (91-77). The Cru did have a slip up against Walton Verona (61-55) but Walton has been a nice surprise in the 8th region this year at 17-7. Paul Wallenhorst (27 pts), Adam Goetz (26 pts), and Maley (21 points) combined for 74 points in the win over Newport. Goetz led the Cru with 15 points in the win over Beechwood.

Up Next: 2/16 at Ryle, 2/19 v Holy Cross

8. Dixie Heights (16-9)

Rough week for the Colonels as they fell 67-58 to Holy Cross and 58-31 to Covington Catholic. Hunter Meyer and Reed Bradfield led the Colonels with 16 and 14 points against Holy Cross but Bradfield was the only Colonel to get in double figures, with 13 points, against Covcath.

Up Next: 2/16 v Cooper, 2/19 at Boone County

9. Beechwood (14-12)

The Tigers lost their sixth straight game in a 51-44 loss to St Henry, then turned around and shook the 35th district up with a 49-47 win over the previous #1 seed, Holy Cross Indians. JT Toebbe led Beechwood with 23 points in the St Henry loss while 8th grader Caleb Jefferson led the Tigers with 18 points in the upset win over Holy Cross. JT and Ben Toebbe combined for 23 points with 12 and 11, respectively.

Up Next: 2/15 at Gallatin County, 2/17 at Grant County, 2/19 v Highlands

10. Newport (15-11)

It's been a painful few weeks for head coach Rod Snapp as he has watched his team lose 5 straight, including both games last week to Covcath (63-32) and St Henry (91-77). Ethan Snapp was the only Wildcat to get to double figures with 10 against Covcath and he followed that with a 25 point performance against St Henry. Kedan Davis led Newport with 30 points, 7 rebounds in the St Henry loss.

Up Next: 2/15 at Holy Cross, 2/17 v Augusta, 2/18 v Villa Madonna

The Rest

11. Ryle (10-14)

12. Highlands (6-14)

13. Lloyd (10-15)

14. Ludlow (11-15)

15. Bellevue (15-13)

16. Boone County (4-21)

17. Dayton (12-14)

18. Villa Madonna (11-14)

19. Cov Latin (3-15)

20. Heritage Academy (0-23)

A few more thoughts...

Covcath and Newcath are clearly the two best teams in the region right now. Both are clicking on all cylinders and depending on the draw in a couple weeks are who I like to meet in the 9th region finals.

With that said...assuming Sean McNeil comes back healthy for the district/region tournament, Cooper throws their name back in the hat as a legit contender.

I love what Ryan Schrand is doing at Holy Cross and he has a GREAT group of seniors, but I just don't think they can make any noise away from the Finn. Don't be surprised if they lose to Beechwood in the rematch, and if they don't, it wouldn't surprise me to see Covcath beat them by double digits in the district finals.

Other than Bezold and McNeil's injuries, what do you think are other contributors to Cooper and Holy Cross sliding away from CovCath and NewCath? Back in January, all 4 were in their own group. Even though Cooper has a very good record, it just feels like they are not on the same level as CCH and NCC right now

Edited by That One Guy

Other than Bezold and McNeil's injuries, what do you think are other contributors to Cooper and Holy Cross sliding away from CovCath and NewCath? Back in January, all 4 were in their own group. Even though Cooper has a very good record, it just feels like they are not on the same level as CCH and NCC right now

Outside of Sean being hurt I think the one thing that hurts Cooper is an athletic big that can score the basket. Not only is Sean their best player but also their tallest!!! I think that is why they matchup well to CovCath and not so well to NewCath!! If Sean is ok, Cooper should be ok! Just rely on the outside shot too much without Sean and when it isn't falling they will struggle at times

Outside of Sean being hurt I think the one thing that hurts Cooper is an athletic big that can score the basket. Not only is Sean their best player but also their tallest!!! I think that is why they matchup well to CovCath and not so well to NewCath!! If Sean is ok, Cooper should be ok! Just rely on the outside shot too much without Sean and when it isn't falling they will struggle at times

Will McNeil be 100% by region? I know he'll probably be back

Will McNeil be 100% by region? I know he'll probably be back

Not looking ahead but should they make it there he should be pretty darn close to 100% physically by then, the question will be how fast he can get back in the swing of things with his shot and not feeling hesitant toward the wrist.

Highlands has been in that 10-13 spot for the past 5 yrs and it is downright embarrassing. I know the program has been set back in recent years due to several factors of which I wont even begin to discuss in this thread. However, it needs to be said that the fact that Beechwood, St. Henry, Newport, are consistently ranked above them is unacceptable. I know there is talent coming up but in the end they still should have enough athletes to rank in the 7-10 range. Being on the outside looking in for so many years now should be unacceptable.

What if the football program had not only 1 losing season but 2 in a row?

Highlands has been in that 10-13 spot for the past 5 yrs and it is downright embarrassing. I know the program has been set back in recent years due to several factors of which I wont even begin to discuss in this thread. However, it needs to be said that the fact that Beechwood, St. Henry, Newport, are consistently ranked above them is unacceptable. I know there is talent coming up but in the end they still should have enough athletes to rank in the 7-10 range. Being on the outside looking in for so many years now should be unacceptable.

Highlands is 6-9 vs St Henry, Newport and Beechwood the last 4 years. That could be a big reason they are continually ranked behind them.

5 through 10 are pretty much a toss up depending on the week. I don't think I've ever had this much trouble ranking teams inside the 9th region.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

I agree - don't see any of those teams as legitimate contenders. I was high on Cooper but the CC game was a wake-up call. Having McNeil back AND playing at a high level will be necessary for them to beat CCH or NCC.

It seems like HC lost some steam when Bezold went down - if Cooper and HC don't get their mojo back it could be a two horse race between CCH and NCC.

Exactly. ...did u not read my post. They should be ranked that way but it is unacceptable or should be.

I like to see the anger and the passion from Q-Ryche in this post. No excuses like you often see or how hard kids are trying, injuries, wait till next year, etc. The results aren't there and he's not happy about it. Sounds like a guy who wants more out of his program. Nothing wrong with that. That's just being an honest fan. Good post.

I don't know if another thread has been started on or if someone attempted to start one on Highlands drop in basketball, but I'd like to know what factors have made this happen