Goodell: NFL to extend Rooney Rule to women for executive positions

On Thursday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that the league is going to expand efforts to get more women into executive positions around the league as well. Speaking at the NFL Women’s Summit, Goodell said that the league will extend the Rooney Rule requirements for interviews with executives to women.

“We have something called the Rooney Rule which requires us to make sure when we have an opening at the team level or the league level that we are going to interview a diverse slate of candidates,” Goodell said. “We are going to make a commitment and we’re going to formalize that we as a league are going to do that for women at all of our executive positions.”

Goodell: NFL to extend Rooney Rule to women for executive positions | ProFootballTalk

It's a mandate for diversity in interviewing. Didn't say anything about requiring diversity amongst new hires. You still get to hire the candidate you want.

I guess I just don't see the problem in adding a few interviews into the process.

Come on CWB, if no one hires any women you know there will be trouble.

They call it an interview mandate but we all know that is a play on words for a hiring mandate.

They call it an interview mandate but we all know that is a play on words for a hiring mandate.

I'm currently worling for an employer who requires EEO interviewing, and my previous two employers did the same. Construction management, much like football management, is a very white/male dominated industry. Out of the three companies mentioned, I've worked with 7 construction estimators, and 31 project managers...only two were women. I've never heard anyone have a single problem with that either.

I'm currently worling for an employer who requires EEO interviewing, and my previous two employers did the same. Construction management, much like football management, is a very white/male dominated industry. Out of the three companies mentioned, I've worked with 7 construction estimators, and 31 project managers...only two were women. I've never heard anyone have a single problem with that either.

:thumb:

I get both sides of the argument, but the pendulum for me has begun to swing back to this line of thinking.

If that is a case, then the NFL does a poor job mandate wise with hiring African Americans as executives and coaches, in a sport where the majority of players are African American. To me it is not about hiring a minority or female, but more about overcoming the good ole boy network.

If that is a case, then the NFL does a poor job mandate wise with hiring African Americans as executives and coaches, in a sport where the majority of players are African American. To me it is not about hiring a minority or female, but more about overcoming the good ole boy network.

If owned an NFL team I would want the best people possible in my organization, the good ole boy network doesn't accomplish that and I sure as heck don't need any mandates telling me so.