Latos vs. DeSclafani

Latos had a decent outing Friday night against Washington. 6.1 innings. 6 hits, 2 earned runs and he had an RBI at the plate. Latos dropped his season ERA to 7.31. He remains 0-3.

DeSclafani - 2-0 . 0.86 ERA. On the mounds Saturday against the Cubs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me Deslafani. I think he has better stuff than Latos at this point. What really makes the decision easy for me though is what's between the ears, Desclafani is head and shoulders above Latos in terms of mental makeup IMO. The guy is focused and and seems dedicated to improving each and every start.

Give me Deslafani. I think he has better stuff than Latos at this point. What really makes the decision easy for me though is what's between the ears, Desclafani is head and shoulders above Latos in terms of mental makeup IMO. The guy is focused and and seems dedicated to improving each and every start.

I think that's hogwash. On the bump Latos is a battler. To say otherwise is either sour grapes or you just aren't paying attention. Now if you want to say Latos is a complete donkey in every aspect of life, including being a decent teammate, I concur.

I think that's hogwash. On the bump Latos is a battler. To say otherwise is either sour grapes or you just aren't paying attention. Now if you want to say Latos is a complete donkey in every aspect of life, including being a decent teammate, I concur.

I never once said that Latos wasn't a battler. All I said was I like DeSclafani's overall makeup better at this point in their careers.

I never once said that Latos wasn't a battler. All I said was I like DeSclafani's overall makeup better at this point in their careers.

I'd take both, or either, with the ball in their hands on the mound. I'm glad Latos is gone, but his performance on the mound had nothing to do with it.

Latos strained a hammy running to first base Wednesday night and was pulled out of the game. He pitched 5 innings, 5 hits, 3 runs all earned, 2 walks, 3K's. He did not figure in the decision but the Marlins went on to win.

MIAMI -- Marlins right-hander Mat Latos exited the game against the Mets in the bottom of the fifth inning Wednesday night with a left hamstring strain. The Marlins -- who went on to win the game, 7-3 -- said Latos will be re-evaluated Thursday and is day to day.

Latos, who was seeking his first win this season, said he sustained the injury when running to first base after hitting a single to center field. He left the game after consulting with the Marlins' trainer, and slammed his batting helmet against the wall of the dugout on his way out.

Donovan Solano pinch-ran for Latos and scored on a single by Giancarlo Stanton to tie the game at 3. Latos pitched five innings, allowing three runs on five hits with three strikeouts and two walks. He threw 84 pitches, 54 for strikes.

"I felt it running down the line, actually just coming out of the box," Latos said. "There was no pop or anything, so that's good. I can walk on it, I just can't straighten my leg out. It's just real tight."

Latos did not figure in the decision, but said he was glad to see Sam Dyson toss two solid innings in relief and the Marlins take the series against the Mets.

"It was a good series win for us, but it [stinks] to be taken out of a game because of something like that," Latos said, adding that he didn't have a chance to enjoy his hit.

Disco coming back to earth. 5.0 innings, 4 runs all earned, 4 hits, 5 K's. 5 walks.

Most important figure here? 5 walks. At least 2 scored. Don't think control has been a problem for him in the past, but haven't checked. At least 2 of Atlanta's runs were BBs (including the #8 hitter before the pitcher doubled him and another in).

At this point, Latos (when healthy) is the better pitcher and it isn't even close, in my opinion. I'm not a big Latos fan, but I love his attitude on the mound. I don't think he's healthy, but he battles.

With that said, I'm perfectly content with the Reds trading Latos for Wallach & Disco.