Ouch - fan hit in head at Cubs/Pirates

This is why I taught my wife to PAY ATTENTION when at the ballpark (I even showed her how to keep score). Only get up to get food, take care of business, and come back to your seat between innings. In the past she would bring a book with her until a person talking on her phone got hammered one day two rows in front of us.

This is why I taught my wife to PAY ATTENTION when at the ballpark (I even showed her how to keep score). Only get up to get food, take care of business, and come back to your seat between innings. In the past she would bring a book with her until a person talking on her phone got hammered one day two rows in front of us.

So true. I went to a Reds game a couple weeks ago, first big league game I've been to in a couple years. So many people were on their phones and not paying attention at all. It is inevitable that this kind of thing will happen and it could happen more. You don't have to be completely engaged, but you have to pay attention.

I would say this is why nets need to extend down first and third base lines, but it didn't help in this case.

They are extended in most college stadiums, but I've seen people sitting behind the net get bonked on top of the head because they were not paying attention. Same goes for ricochets off the press box.

I would say this is why nets need to extend down first and third base lines, but it didn't help in this case.

I hate the nets (excluding those behind home plate area). I usually get seats down either line just so I don't have to sit behind one.

Anyone remember the plexiglass backstop at Crosley? I hated sitting behind that thing as well.

They are extended in most college stadiums, but I've seen people sitting behind the net get bonked on top of the head because they were not paying attention. Same goes for ricochets off the press box.

They're need in college stadiums due to the aluminum bats. One of these days they'll switch.

What about tightening up the net? How hard could that be? I have a hard time believing that girls head was up against the net.

You can stretch that stuff all you want, but there's always going to be some give to them. I imagine that if you stretch them too much, you sacrifice the integrity of the material.