Belfry 48 West Carter 27

campbellfield

First of all, hats off to the West Carter Comets. They have a good team and they never quit. I was impressed with them. This was a good game for a half. West Carter came out ready to play and moved the ball on Belfry. Belfry scored on every possesion, but they didn't get their hands on the ball much in the first half.

WC moved the ball on Belfry's defense and held a 14-13 lead in the 2nd quarter. Belfry eventually took a 21-14 lead in at the half.

3rd quarter was all pirates as Belfry scored 27 points. JV played the last few mins of the 3rd and all the 4th, giving up 2 hard fought touchdowns to the Comets.

The Pirates will host Russell this week in what should be a great battle.

Did Belfry scout West Carter? Seemed like they were a little lost in the first half or a little bit looking past the Comets. WC played hard, but Belfry, in the end, was just too strong, fast, and good. The pirates have some nice players, especially two of those backs. Congrats to them, and best of luck as they continue in the playoffs.

Not to take anything from W.C., my old buddy Kevin Brown had his boys ready to play! I just think you had to expect a bit of a letdown after Belfry beat Johnson Central last week.

Probably true Braveheart but teams that are a caliber of Belfry can't do that or someone will slip up and beat you.

I am not going to try and explain what Belfry may or may not have done wrong during this game. Yes they played an emotional game last week, but I don't think that gives you a free pass on being mentally unprepared for this one. So I won't use that excuse.

I'm not sure it was a case of being flat anyway. The offense wasn't flat and that is 3/4 of the same guys that play defense. Why would the defense be the only one to be flat? The offense looked sharp and scored a touchdown every possession through 3 quarters. (Problem was they only got 3 possessions in the first half)

West Carter had a good game plan. A la Sheldon Clark, they came out and were content with gaining 4 yds per carry and move the chains a little at a time. They rode this philosophy to 2 first half scores, all the while keeping the ball out of Belfry's hands. It was a good plan, IMO. They ran good play fakes, used misdirection and even executed a really great fake punt for a huge first down on their 2nd scoring drive.

Belfry's play may not have been great on defense, but I can't say it was because of being flat or unprepared. I just don't know. What I CAN say is that in the first half, West Carter's offensive line won the battle in the trenches against Belfry's defensive line, and they deserve all the credit for that. I was proud of them because they looked a lot better than I expected them to look coming into this game.

Belfry's halftime pow wow must have been a good one. :D

As soon as Belfry came out in the 3rd quarter, you could see a difference. The offense still looked sharp, and the defense had a little more spring in their step. They put up 4 quick touchdowns and led 48-14 with about 3 minutes to go in the third quarter. At that point Belfry looked like they could have really poured it on the Comets and made a statement.

But, true to form, Coach Haywood must have been confident the game was in hand and he started substituting his 2nd stringers. The young guys got a little over a quarter of experience in a good battle with WC's guys. The Comets moved the ball on the Belfry JVers, but it wasn't a blow out. They did score two touchdowns on them, but they had to earn them. I really enjoyed watching the JV guys playing their hearts out till the end.

The final result was a score that looks unexpected at 48-27. But when the smoke cleared, I think the Belfry varsity AND the Belfry JV learned some valuable lessons last night. And that is what it's all about.

Probably true Braveheart but teams that are a caliber of Belfry can't do that or someone will slip up and beat you.

Bingo. I'm sure that lesson was sufficiently etched into the young men's minds by the staff. I thought it was a real positive the way they came out in the third quarter and dominated from there on.