Top 5 players to ever come out of Bracken/Augusta..

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my memories from 83-till present:

I remember for Bracken County: The Florers, The Engus Brothers, Tyler Bess, The King Boys.

Augusta: Troy Archibald, The Sapp Brothers, Keith Randolph, Robin Kelsch, Brian Kirk.

Thanks for who you remember Devilman, but those werent some of the best to come out of Augusta...

It was SNAPP not Sapp...

Augusta's top scorers are

Brian Kirk

Bill Kelsch

Buddy Murray

Patrick Kelsch

As far as Bracken goes I know Eddie Hopkins is there all time leading scorer.

Dont forget Mark Tucker and Adam Reed.

I think the post said "top 5 players", not the top 4 scorers. This is just the kind of wrong message we teach our young kids. There is a lot more to being a good player than just scoring, such as defense, assists, rebounding and just being a "team" player.

The Snapp twins were fun to watch, but they were NO where near the top-5 in Augusta's school history, I would be willing to say not top-20.

Going old school here for A-Town: Jim Appleman and Joe Goecke were excellent players during their time and Appleman is in Augusta's Hall-of-Fame w/his jersey retired and there only 7 or 8 of those on their walls. Including the girls and the guys teams.

Bill Kelsch is by far the best shooter to ever don the orange and black and the teams he played w/were the best ever at the school. Isacc Reynolds and Buddy Murray were very good players also during that time period.

Larry Thomas Archibald was a tremendous player at Augusta in the early 80's, but unfortuanately he passed away in early November of his senior season and never played a game that year. Great shooter from the baseline and a complete brute underneath the basket. This was the following season after Augusta upset Pendleton County at Pendleton County for the last district title for Augusta in 1982.

As for more recent players: Not saying these guys are top-5, but awfully good players and entertaining to watch.

Robin Kelsch--very good shooter and had a knack for getting the ball

Darren Garrison--freakish type athlete w/a solid stroke

Chris Linville--unbelievable senior season where he averaged 28.5 points a

game and was deadly from 3

Patrick Kelsch--great shooter, crazy range, and a smart player on the court

Kris Larkins--another great athlete, w/range and hops

Derrick Bach--very good athlete, not top-5 material, but an athlete

Todd Kelsch--good shooter, heady floor leader, good handles

Brian Kirk: all-time leading scorer in school's history, gritty and savvy on the

court, he could just about do it all, had an unbelievable & uncanny

ability to get to the rim and finish

As for Bracken County:

Ted Smoot--a beast of a player and went to Florida State

Eddie Hopkins--all-time leading scorer, was a tremendous ball player and

athlete

Stacey "Pud" Florer--a true beast down low, great work ethic

Mark Tucker--great shooter, hard-nosed, good floor leader

Adam Reed--tremednous ball handler, good shooter, very smart player

Eddie Day--another very gifted athlete

Both schools have had a long rich history of basketball!

I think the post said "top 5 players", not the top 4 scorers. This is just the kind of wrong message we teach our young kids. There is a lot more to being a good player than just scoring, such as defense, assists, rebounding and just being a "team" player.

How many players you know that are considered good players that dont score something???

Name a few... Kris Larkins from a Augusta was a great player and rebounder, but he also scored 18 points a game.

However, I do agree with you when you say that.. You dont have to be a good scorer to be a great player, but at the high school level only those who score get a lot of recognition!

Sad but true. I'm sure you can think of several players that didn't score a lot but were great players also. Ike Reynolds was one. Hard to say how many assists he had to the school's 2nd leading scorer. Hard to say how many rebounds Buddy Baker had too. Coach Phil White had a tremendous amount of rebounds also. But, as you say, high school athletes don't get that kind of recognition.

Sad but true. I'm sure you can think of several players that didn't score a lot but were great players also. Ike Reynolds was one. Hard to say how many assists he had to the school's 2nd leading scorer. Hard to say how many rebounds Buddy Baker had too. Coach Phil White had a tremendous amount of rebounds also. But, as you say, high school athletes don't get that kind of recognition.

Do I thiink they deserve the same recognition?

YOU BETTER KNOW I DO

From what I understand Coach White had a great deal of assists also because of the fact he played with a couple of those guys that "just scored."