Top 5 players to ever come out of Bracken/Augusta..

I've been familiar with Bracken Co, Augusta, Deming, Maysville, St Pat, Mason Co, Tollesboro, Lewis Co, Fleming Co teams since the early 50's and they have all had their share of good ball players. I think Larry Wood of Bracken, Fred Walker of Maysville, Ronnie Lyons and Chris Lofton of Mason, Chris Harrison of Tollesboro, Ralphie Davis of Lewis Co, Fran Stahl and Jay Gast of ST Pat, the Kelsch boys and Ike Reynolds of the 1960's Augusta, and Deming--probably Steven Staggs ,Scotty Graves or Joe Mitchell and Fleming Co would have to be Clay Evans. This would be interesting to see what others think .

I don't remember Larry Wood playing from the 50's, but Pete Hause and John Rice were pretty good players for Bracken. I know that Hause and Rice both held the scoring record at BC at one time. Hause would probably still have it if there had been a 3 point shot.

The Kelsch Boys and Ike Reynolds were also very good. I believe they lost the district finals in 1965 to a very good Pendleton Co. team who had the Wright(Jackie and Pete) boys playing for them. PC who went on to win the Reginals.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO. John Roberts could never be top 5 at Augusta. There has just been too many players come out better than him. I mean when you have a kid that tall and he wanted to step out and shoot 3's instead of just hammering on people. Thats weak. I would say Derick Bach would make top 5 players instead. The other 4 i would probabley have to agree Bill could just play, Robin could hit any shot he pulled, Kirk done it all, and Patrick was a shooter.

From all the games that I watched Augusta play back then. The reason Roberts was outside so much is because the panthers did have much at the guard the position. When you have Bach and Roberts the better two with the ball, b/c Kirk was so young then and Hinson and Kelsch were sketchy at times one b/c Todd was young also.I would have rather than taken my chances with Bach and Roberts. If it had been a year later then Kelsch and Kirk would have had it in there hands.

Thanks for who you remember Devilman, but those werent some of the best to come out of Augusta...

It was SNAPP not Sapp...

Augusta's top scorers are

Brian Kirk

Bill Kelsch

Buddy Murray

Patrick Kelsch

As far as Bracken goes I know Eddie Hopkins is there all time leading scorer.

Dont forget Mark Tucker and Adam Reed.

Now that you mentioned it I rember Mark Tucker and Chris Linville. Sorry for the memory lapse.:eek:

• 10 years later...
Nope, I enjoy looking up old Bracken County basketball history and sharing it to a new generation. Right now I'm working on a project with some coaches and adminstrators to honor some of the Polar Bear greats

Let us know when this book comes out

A combo book on Bracken County/Augusta High School basketball history is an awesome idea and way overdue

Isn't there a similar book available in the local library on Mason County/Maysville High School basketball history?

Nope, I enjoy looking up old Bracken County basketball history and sharing it to a new generation. Right now I'm working on a project with some coaches and adminstrators to honor some of the Polar Bear greats

Would really like a book on the history of the old district(Bracken County,Augusta,Pendleton County,Robertson County) as well as that Bracken/Augusta book. Maybe LC Dawgs can contribute