BluegrassPreps.com 2019 Preseason Mr. Football Watchlist

Following up on last year's inaugural BGP Mr. Football Watchlist, welcome to 2019's first installment. The second post won't occur until after the season's opening weekend. We'll be capping the list at 16 players each week to avoid the overcrowding that sometimes plagued the watchlist last year. As you'll see below, the players have been divided into three groups. Suggestions for additional names to track this season are welcome. If a player's name disappears from the list, that doesn't mean he can't return at a later date. Comings and goings from the watchlist will be dictated by that athlete's level of play coupled to some degree with his team's success.

Front Runners

Beau Allen (QB, Lexington Catholic)

2018: 3,729 yards/42 TDs/9 ints./65% comp.

Career: 7,757 yards/89 TDs/21 ints./63% comp.

He's the top QB prospect in the state for a reason, and one of the top rated pro-style passers in the country. Allen has all the tools to be an elite signal caller. Plus, he's a UK commit, which always helps with statewide visibility. If there's a favorite right now, it might be Beau. The biggest potential hurdle for Allen comes in the form of Boyle County, a district rival that has owned the Knights in their previous three meetings and features multiple Mr. Football candidates of its own.

Beau Allen Junior Season - Beau Allen highlights - Hudl

Michael Mayer (TE/LB, Covington Catholic)

2018: 46 catches/1,029 yards/12 TDs - 98 tackles/18 TFL/3 sacks

Career: 60 catches/1,261 yards/15 TDs - 177 tackles

Listed at 6'5" and 240 pounds, and with the athleticism to stand out when competing against running backs and wide receivers at national combines, Mayer is perhaps the most impressive physical specimen in Kentucky this year. His performance at The Opening over the summer earned him the status of USA Today's #8 player in the country. Nearly every recruiting service worth its salt rates the Notre Dame commit as the top tight end in the nation.

Michael Mayer Junior Year - Michael Mayer highlights - Hudl

Reese Smith (WR/S, Boyle County)

2018: 53 catches/1,173 yards/20 TDs - 55 tackles/3 ints.

Career: 139 catches/2,871 yards/43 TDs - 147 tackles/19 ints.

There might not be a more accomplished player in the Commonwealth than this WVU commit. Smith has achieved some degree of All-State recognition as a freshman (honorable mention at safety), sophomore (2nd team WR), and junior (1st team WR). He burst onto the state scene in 2017's 3A championship game with 120 yards and 3 TDs receiving, plus two interceptions and a pick-six to propel Boyle County to a state title as a sophomore.

Junior Season Highlights - Reese Smith highlights - Hudl

Vito Tisdale (RB/DB, Bowling Green)

2018: 1,081 yards from scrimmage/12 TDs - 22 tackles

Career: 1,443 yards rushing/23 TDs - 103 tackles/5 ints. - 9 non-offensive TDs

Tisdale has been in the state's football consciousness since his days dominating the competition at the middle school level. He made a seamless transition to the high school game as a day one starter for the Purples his freshman year. He doesn't have the numbers that some of the other candidates do, but he commands the attention of opposing teams as much as any player in Kentucky, be it on offense, defense, or special teams.

218 season - DeVito Tisdale highlights - Hudl

Locks for the Watchlist

Malachi Corley (RB/WR/DB, Campbellsville)

2018: 1,025 yards rushing/863 yards receiving/26 total TDs - 94 tackles/2 ints.

Career: 3,155 yards from scrimmage/41 total TDs - 206 tackles/6 ints.

There isn't much Corley doesn't do well on the football field - running, catching, tackling, picking off opposing QBs, returning kicks. He's in prime position to inherit Logan Castleman's title of best all-around football player in 1A. Last year, he averaged 14 yards per touch for an Eagles squad that returns enough talent to be considered among 1A's top teams entering the 2019 season.

Junior Year Highlights - Coach Corley highlights - Hudl

Izayah Cummings (WR, Male)

2018: 41 catches/597 yards/11 TDs

Career: 52 catches/865 yards/15 TDs

Ignore the numbers, because they don't really stack up to some of his pass catching contemporaries on this list. Cummings' inclusion here is largely based on his status as Kentucky's top WR prospect and the fact that he's the star player for the defending big school champs. Oh, and he passes the eyeball test at 6'3" and north of 200 pounds. He just needs to get on the field, something he's only done in 17 of Male's 27 games over the past two years. When healthy, he can play at a level that few others in the state can match.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Axthv

Jackson Hensley (WR, Pikeville)

2018: 39 catches/829 yards/16 TDs

Career: 91 catches/1,625 yards/22 TDs

The recent Harvard commit showed out in a big way at Kroger Field last year to help keep his Panthers within arms length of Beechwood. Despite the eventual loss, his 155 yards and two long touchdown receptions put him on a lot of radars that he'd previously flown under. With the offensive firepower Pikeville possesses, expect performances like that one to be commonplace for Hensley in 2019.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B80U6

Brycen Huddleston (LB/KR, Highlands)

2018: Tackles not available/5 non-offensive TDs

With all due respect to the other names on this list, Huddy might be the ultimate gamer in Kentucky this year. He has intangibles galore and a nose for the football packaged with D1 athleticism. He also has a nose for the end zone despite never touching the ball on offense, as evidenced by his seven career non-offensive touchdowns. He'll be playing his college ball in the MAC at Eastern Michigan University.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B0pCR

Reed Lanter (QB, Boyle County)

2018: 2,949 yards/39 TDs/6 ints./66% comp.

Career: 5,821 yards/67 TDs/13 ints./66% comp.

For such a gifted QB, Lanter's about as low profile as you can get. It helps that he's flanked by some of the most explosive athletes in Kentucky. The guys around him provide a lot of the highlight reel plays while he stands cooly in the pocket and makes throw after throw. But as you can see above, the numbers are there. As is a championship ring, with another possibly to come.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AvC8U

Octavious Oxendine (DT, North Hardin)

2018: 86 tackles/21 TFL/4 sacks/3 fumbles recovered

Overshadowed by Jacob Lacey last year, Oxendine enters the 2019 season as the top defensive lineman in Kentucky. A breakout summer on the camp circuit has earned Double O offers from the likes of UK, UofL, Oklahoma, Texas, and Penn State. He's the centerpiece of the defense for potentially the top non-Louisville team in 6A.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AwdAM

Walker Parks (OT/DL, Frederick Douglass)

Standing 6'6" and weighing in at a lean, athletic 275 pounds, Parks has risen the ranks of the nation's top recruiting outlets to become a top 10 offensive tackle prospect. Accordingly, he received offers from prominent programs such as Notre Dame and Auburn, but spurned them in favor of the reigning national champion Clemson Tigers. With all of the talent around him at Frederick Douglass, Parks could be on the verge of winning a championship of his own.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Atyvz

Jake Sloan (WR, Pulaski County)

2018: 116 catches/1,666 yards/13 TDs

Career: 235 catches/3,112 yards/24 TDs

Sloan, who topped the state in catches and yards last year, has a shot at finishing #2 all time in career receptions and could crack the top five in career yards. His combination of route running, sure hands, and 6'3", 210 lb frame help make him one of the top pass catchers in the state. He's committed to play his college ball at EKU.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2AusQy

Jayden Stinson (QB, Mayfield)

2018: 3,327 yards/37 TDs/4 ints./65% comp.

Career: 5,474 yards/63 TDs/9 ints./65% comp.

Stinson put together one of the most statistically impressive seasons in Mayfield history last year. Which is saying a lot, given the high level of QB play the Cardinals have enjoyed, especially over the past decade. His TD/interception ratio of 9 to 1 was tops in the state last year. The only thing missing from his resume is a state title, something the Cards should be heavily favored to win this season.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Ax7w3

John Young (OT, Christian Academy of Louisville)

Young's mammoth frame (6'6", 300 lbs) and athleticism garnered him offers from Ohio State, Michigan, and Georgia, among many others, before he eventually chose to stay in-state and committed to UK. He already owns two state championship rings ('16 and '18) with a shot at a third this year in 3A.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Ax2w6

On The Bubble

Landen Bartleson - RB/DB, Boyle County

CA Collins - RB, Breathitt County

Drew Hartz - QB, Owensboro Catholic

Jeriah Hightower - RB, Madisonville-North Hopkins

Devin Johnson - RB/LB, Johnson Central

Nick Mitchell - RB, Glasgow

Keaton Martin - RB, South Oldham

Dalton Ponder - QB, Williamsburg

I like Beau Allen and the fact he’s a UK commit doesn’t hurt his chances either. But I think Vito will give him a really good run because I bet BG will use him every way possible so his stat line could be impressive with all the diversity to it. Also with BG’s schedule he could have some big wins on his resume as well.

There's no shortage of spotlight games for the front runners this year. Here are some dates to circle on the calendar:

September 6th - Allen's Knights versus Mayer's Colonels in an early season test for each.

September 20th - John Young leads his Centurions into Danville to face Boyle County.

September 27th - Huddleston and the rest of the Highlands defense will face their stiffest test of the season as the Birds and Boyle County renew their sporadic series.

October 11th - Boyle and its trio of stars host Allen's LexCath squad.

October 18th - The first of what will almost certainly be two meetings between Mayer and Huddleston.

November 1st - Tisdale gets his shot at Trinity. There's no better opponent to go off on than the Rocks.

November 1st - Allen and Parks share the field in the biggest game in Lexington this season.

I like Beau Allen and the fact he’s a UK commit doesn’t hurt his chances either. But I think Vito will give him a really good run because I bet BG will use him every way possible so his stat line could be impressive with all the diversity to it. Also with BG’s schedule he could have some big wins on his resume as well.

BG’s schedule also could be the one thing that prevents him from winning it. That’s a tough schedule. I hope they can show some improvement from last year and hopefully give Vito a chance at being a finalist for Mr. Football.

I think this will be a close race down to the wire between the front runners in this thread.

I think Beau Allen is in the early lead because of his numbers and he is the hometown kid headed to UK. He’s the easy choice for the lazy voters.

Reese Smith is my sentimental choice. I know the kid. I know the family. I’ve watched him play and followed his athletic career since he was 8-9 years old. I wish I could say I am not biased but I absolutely am 100% biased. I hope he wins it and I will be pumping him up all season long in threads just like this one. You’ve all been warned. :lol2:

Vito Tisdale is another sentimental choice. I went to high school with his dad and I am loving seeing Vito playing for BG just like his dad and brother did. Vito is arguably the best athlete amongst these finalists and he will have a very nice college career wherever he chooses to go. I hope that he has the season needed for him to have a chance to win.

Michael Mayer will deservedly get all of the NKY hype. Kid is a beast. Pure physical specimen. I’m not sure if he will get the votes to win but I am certain he will put together a season deserving of the honor.

Outstanding list and work @DevilMayCare!!!! I always look forward to these threads this time of the year. I expect some great conversation either in these threads or sparked by these threads all season long.

Tisdale has the name recognition but his production is going to have to massively increase.

Tisdale only averaged around 80 rushing yards per game last season and only scored 10 rushing TD's. In BG's biggest games he also had some of his worst performances.

Tisdale will need to really step up in those same games to knock off three very worthy candidates in Reese Smith, Beau Allen, and Michael Mayer who all three are capable of having monster seasons statistically.

For me, you can't go wrong with Allen or Smith. They check every single box and bring their A-game every night.

I also will not bat an eye if Mayer wins it. I think he has the best chance of any kid in KY right now to be playing on Sunday's.

For me, you can't go wrong with Allen or Smith. They check every single box and bring their A-game every night.

I also will not bat an eye if Mayer wins it. I think he has the best chance of any kid in KY right now to be playing on Sunday's.

As a neutral observer, I prefer years like this where it's a little more open. Last year it was WanDale's to lose from the opening kickoff of the season. The chances are extremely high that this year's winner comes from that upper tier of front runners, but at least we'll be kept guessing for a while.

Of the schools represented on this list, only Male (Jones, Bush and Beaumont), Boyle County (Duggins and Dawson), Bowling Green (Fant and Carothers), and Highlands (Lorenzen and Towles) have claimed this award before. Surprisingly, Mayfield, Covington Catholic, and Lexington Catholic have never had a winner.

Question regarding Boyle County's candidates:

At the college level, you often hear about multiple candidates on the same team hurting each other's chances of winning the Heisman. Any chance that applies here? Boyle could have as many as three players in contention this season.

Surprisingly, Mayfield, Covington Catholic, and Lexington Catholic have never had a winner.

Of the years the AP has released a list of Mr. Football finalists, or have at very least published lists of players in the discussion for the award, here are the finalists for each of those schools:

Mayfield: Terral Starks (1997)

Covington Catholic: Mike Woolf (1987), Paul Hladon (1988), Adam McCormack (1992), Drew Ellison (2005), Kam Butler (2017), AJ Mayer (2017), Casey McGinness (2018).

Lexington Catholic: Justin Burke (2005), Domonique Hayden (2009)

Of the years the AP has released a list of Mr. Football finalists, or have at very least published lists of players in the discussion for the award, here are the finalists for each of those schools:

Mayfield: Terral Starks (1997)

Covington Catholic: Mike Woolf (1987), Paul Hladon (1988), Adam McCormack (1992), Drew Ellison (2005), Kam Butler (2017), AJ Mayer (2017), Casey McGinness (2018).

Lexington Catholic: Justin Burke (2005), Domonique Hayden (2009)

I'm going to guess that no one's had more finalists without a win than CovCath.

Question regarding Boyle County's candidates:

At the college level, you often hear about multiple candidates on the same team hurting each other's chances of winning the Heisman. Any chance that applies here? Boyle could have as many as three players in contention this season.

Only twice in 32 years has someone won Mr. Football while having a teammate as a finalist - 1998 (Lorenzen and Derek Smith of Highlands) and 2008 (Deuce Finch and Matt Brutscher of St. X).