Covington Catholic 13 Scott (Kenton) 2

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Going with the "Senior in Training" Grant Schreiver. Grant goes three for four (double) and scores a run and Eric Schneider who went three for four with an rbi and 2 runs scored.

Gruber Grill Defensive Star of the game: Three plays tonight brought a smile to my face.

Scott bottom of the 1st and Brain Fagel makes an outstanding diving catch in center for the third out.

Scott bottom of the 2nd men on 1st and third with one out. CovCath turns a DP as Maile K's the batter and a Scott runner tries to steal second, but the throw to second is cut off by Best who throws the ball back to Lankheit for the third out of the inning for a rare 1-2-4-2 DP.

Scott bottom of the 6th and one run has already scored. Men on 2nd and 3rd when Schneider just about climbs over the first base railing to make a foul ball catch.

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Tonight I am picking the number nine hitter for CovCath Seattle Stein: Top of the second and with the base loaded Stein hits a rope down the third base line that drives in three runs and earns Seattle a double. Those three runs were all the Colonels needed tonight to win the game.

Edited by Theoldguy

CovCath pitching:

Maile W (5-0) 77 pitches 5 innings 23 PA 7 hits 2 runs 2 earn runs 2 walks and 8 K's

Hellmann 5 pitches 1 inning 3 PA and 1 hit

Tomlin 9 pitches 1 inning 4 PA 2 hits and 1 K

CovCath hitting:

Best 5 PA 1 run scored 2 hits (double) 1 rbi 1 walk and 1 cs

Schneider 5 PA 2 runs scored 3 hits 1 rbi and 1 sac

Lankheit 5 PA 1 hit (double) 1 rbi 1 walk 1 K and 1 sf

Nienaber CR 1 run scored

Mader CR 1 run scored

Severson 5 PA 1 run scored 2 hits (triple) and 1 walk

Grosser 5 PA 1 run scored 1 rbi and 1 walk

Arnzen 4 PA 2 runs scored 2 hits 2 rbi's 3 walks and 1 sb

Schreiver 4 PA 2 runs scored 3 hits (double) 2 rbi's 1 k and 1 sb

Maile 2 PA 1 walk and 1 K

Roth 2 PA 1 hit 2 rbi's and 1 K

Robinson CR 1 run scored

Nienaber CR 1 run scored

Stein 4 PA 1 hit (double) 3 rbi's

CovCath improves their record to 14-2 and next plays Campbell County @ Florence Freedom on Wednesday April 27th @ 5pm

CovCath improves their record to 14-2 and next plays Campbell County @ Florence Freedom on Wednesday April 27th @ 5pm

I think Cov Cath will be the only team to get their full amount of games in this year.

Any idea what the Freedom get out of high school teams playing there other than the notoriety?

Not to get off topic of the thread but I think it is a great move by Mr. Brown to have High School games there. It gets more people to his stadium with hopes of them coming back to catch a Freedom game this summer. I think he had a chance to make a few bucks when he was able to sell beer but I guess he's not allowed to do that now so the gate money goes towards his cost to cover the staff, etc..

With his son being a Frosh at Cov Cath, I'm sure he is a High School fan as well. It's a great place to play and to watch games and wish our team would play more there. Saturday would be a great day to start at 8AM and have games all day long but it's probably too late to plan something like that. The 9th Region tourney is a great time to watch local baseball at the Freedom.

Not to get off topic of the thread but I think it is a great move by Mr. Brown to have High School games there. It gets more people to his stadium with hopes of them coming back to catch a Freedom game this summer. I think he had a chance to make a few bucks when he was able to sell beer but I guess he's not allowed to do that now so the gate money goes towards his cost to cover the staff, etc..

With his son being a Frosh at Cov Cath, I'm sure he is a High School fan as well. It's a great place to play and to watch games and wish our team would play more there. Saturday would be a great day to start at 8AM and have games all day long but it's probably too late to plan something like that. The 9th Region tourney is a great time to watch local baseball at the Freedom.

Unfortunately, the weekends at Champion Window are already booked with youth tournaments. In fact, the 9th region tournament won't even be played on a weekend there, as they had already committed those dates for youth tournaments. Next year it would be great if some team up here in the 9th would book the field for Fri-Sun for a nice-sized high school tournament. Hard to run a big tournament with only one field, but perhaps you plan on using both Freedom and one other nice field (Dixie, St. Henry) and if you get crummy weather, you re-format the tournament to use just Freedom's field.

Somewhere either in another thread it is quoted as saying 750.00 rent plus they get concessions.....................

They now charge $500 for field without lights usage and $750 with lights. If the gate proceeds cover this amount, there is no charge to the teams. If the gate is short of this amount, the teams must make up the difference. And, yes, they also keep concession profits and these do not factor into offsetting the $500/750 expense.