Oil back up to 111 dollars a barrel today

newarkcatholicfan

The International Energy Agency, OPEC and others have said that they see signs that consumers are using less fuel as prices rise. In the U.S., retail surveys by MasterCard SpendingPulse indicate that motorists have cut back on gasoline purchases for the past seven weeks.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Oil-rises-above-111-per-apf-2273027191.html?x=0

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The economy is not improving.

The media keeps trying to tell us it is.

It is improving. It's not where we want it but it is showing the signs necessary to get the prices going up. The price of oil will continue to rise until we get to a point where it causes another recession.

It is improving. It's not where we want it but it is showing the signs necessary to get the prices going up. The price of oil will continue to rise until we get to a point where it causes another recession.

Just because you think it is doesn't mean most think it is not. I'm nowhere near convinced.

Just because you think it is doesn't mean most think it is not. I'm nowhere near convinced.

Just because you think it isn't doesn't mean it's not. In this case we look at economic indicators and they are rising, albeit slowly, but they are rising.

We all have different definitions of "improving." I'm using the most strict definition while many(maybe you) are using a definition that requires it to be at a certain level.

My point is simple. As the economy begins to improve there will be more demand which will lead to continued increases in cost.

So a couple of questions:

1. If people aren't using as much, the price increases for remaining buyers to cover the amount of oil on the market, yes?

2. If people are using just as much, the price increases because of the high demand?

So a couple of questions:

1. If people aren't using as much, the price increases for remaining buyers to cover the amount of oil on the market, yes?

2. If people are using just as much, the price increases because of the high demand?

I'm far from an economics expert but I don't believe #1 to be true. If the demand is not there the production will decrease.

#2 is the problem for us. The supply of cheap crude is diminishing. As demand goes up (see China) the price is going to skyrocket.

My place of employment has brought back all 80 employees that were laid off and hired 14 new employees with more possible hirings to come later this year. We are expanding as well.

Another area factory announced a multimillion dollar expansion as well as hiring up to 80 new employees.

If that isn't signs of an improving economy I don't know what is.

My place of employment has brought back all 80 employees that were laid off and hired 14 new employees with more possible hirings to come later this year. We are expanding as well.

Another area factory announced a multimillion dollar expansion as well as hiring up to 80 new employees.

If that isn't signs of an improving economy I don't know what is.

Could be an improving industry, product line etc, but I see your point.