Wedding gifts for parents?

00Rocket28

My son and daughter-in-law bought the parents beautiful glass picture frames from Things Remembered that had a wonderful passage about parents/children, and had it engraved with their names and the wedding date. I put one of my favorite candid wedding photos of the two of them in it, and it's on my mantle.

With my wedding 23 days away, my soon to be wife and I are having trouble knowing what to get our parents..Anyone have any ideas they've used or heard of?

Assuming you had engagement photos taken, frame one of them up very nicely for your parents, and give it to them along with a thoughtfully hand written card - you write the card to her parents, and she writes the card to yours. Include a gift certificate to a relatively high end non-chain restaurant for $50-100.

Obviously, Rocket is an evolved, enlightened, and involved groom. :p

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-questions/wedding-planning-advice/qa/do-parents-get-wedding-gifts.aspx

Wedding Etiquette: Do Parents Get Wedding Gifts?

Q.

Should my fiance and I purchase wedding gifts for our parents, as we did for our wedding party?

A.

Yes. It's such a nice thank-you for all the help they've given you with the wedding -- financial, emotional, and otherwise -- not to mention all the support and love they've given you throughout the years while you were growing up. A personalized photo album of wedding pictures, an amazing picture frame, a gift certificate for a special dinner, a poem you've written, a weekend away -- anything's appropriate, as long as it's personal and within your financial bounds. Take a moment a few days (or hours!) before the wedding to share some private time with your parents and present them with your gift. You might each give your own parents a gift, or you might have the present be from both of you to each set of parents.

Rocket, This is the frame my son and daughter-in-law got for me, my ex and his wife, and her mother and her brother (he gave her away as her father is out of the picture). At the top it is engraved with "Parents hold their children's hands for a little while..." and at the bottom "But their hearts forever." with the date of their wedding. The one they gave us an 8x10 size but holds a 5x7 pic. It made me cry. Anyway, they seem to be about $30 each, and engraving is extra, I think.

000634748.jpg

Rocket, This is the frame my son and daughter-in-law got for me, my ex and his wife, and her mother and her brother (he gave her away as her father is out of the picture). At the top it is engraved with "Parents hold their children's hands for a little while..." and at the bottom "But their hearts forever." with the date of their wedding. The one they gave us an 8x10 size but holds a 5x7 pic. It made me cry. Anyway, they seem to be about $30 each, and engraving is extra, I think.

By the way, that is not my son and daughter-in-law in that pic. :lol: He's not that tall. :D

We gave our parents a Lenox picture frame which holds the wedding invitation on one side and a picture of us two on the other. My friends who live in NY, NY presented their parents with a weekend trip to see them in NY, NY with accommodations at the Waldorf Astoria hotel.

I just don't understand it. In my opinion, it is a day about the bride and groom, not the parents. Who comes up with all these dos and don'ts? I wouldn't want or expect my child to buy me a gift on their wedding day, it just doesn't make sense to me.