Bad Moon a rising?

oldrambler

Recently we have seen tradgedy from eartquakes in Japan along with other weather related events around the Pacific coast areas of the world as well as other major events everywhere. I realize yesterday's earthquake/sunami events were on March 11th...certain events destructive floods and earthquakes were predicted on or around the March 19th full moon. They were/are calling it "moonageddon". Reason given was that on the March 19th fulll moon that the moon would be closer to the earth than it has been in years and the gravitational pull could set off major earthquakes around the world along with other tragedies. Some scientest are saying no, nothing to it and I certainly don't follow or put a whole lot if anything in astrology but one has to admit that all these events seem a little too close.......:idunno::eek:

I couldn't find the article on this that I saw on Yahoo a couple of days before the Japan quakes but I did find this one........

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/moonageddon-on-march-19-our-nearest-neighbour-will-be-biggest-and-closest-since-1993/story-e6frg12c-1226015990436?from=public_rss

This is another example of sensationalistic journalism.

Here is an article by a credible astronomer: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/11/no-the-supermoon-didnt-cause-the-japanese-earthquake/

Some important counterarguments for the "Moonageddon" article:

1) Astrology is not astronomy. Astronomy is a science and astrology is fun, but not scientific.

2) Lunar perigee (when our moon is closest to earth, due to it's elliptical orbit) happens once a month. We are a week away from it. So, this event did not happen during lunar perigee. If we are to draw a correlation between closeness of the moon and natural disasters, then literally half of the time, the moon is closer than it is now and half the time it is further away than it is now. Many natural disasters happen around lunar perigee and many happen around lunar apogee (the moon is farthest in its orbit from us). Additionally, many happen at all points between.

Other things that I have seen blamed as causes for the earthquake (all bogus): an increase in solar activity (flares, sunspots), a rogue comet (Elenin, I believe), a planet X or planet Nibiru.

I could go on and on about the REAL cause of earthquakes, but I won't. :D Unless someone wants me to...anyone...anyone?

This is another example of sensationalistic journalism.

Here is an article by a credible astronomer: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/03/11/no-the-supermoon-didnt-cause-the-japanese-earthquake/

Some important counterarguments for the "Moonageddon" article:

1) Astrology is not astronomy. Astronomy is a science and astrology is fun, but not scientific.

2) Lunar perigee (when our moon is closest to earth, due to it's elliptical orbit) happens once a month. We are a week away from it. So, this event did not happen during lunar perigee. If we are to draw a correlation between closeness of the moon and natural disasters, then literally half of the time, the moon is closer than it is now and half the time it is further away than it is now. Many natural disasters happen around lunar perigee and many happen around lunar apogee (the moon is farthest in its orbit from us). Additionally, many happen at all points between.

Other things that I have seen blamed as causes for the earthquake (all bogus): an increase in solar activity (flares, sunspots), a rogue comet (Elenin, I believe), a planet X or planet Nibiru.

I could go on and on about the REAL cause of earthquakes, but I won't. :D Unless someone wants me to...anyone...anyone?

You tectonic thing, you.

BUT, the moon does have effects on the Earth.

Well, yes. It causes normal ocean tides, not tsunamis or earthquakes.

Spring pollens cause my allergies, which result in me sneezing and coughing. They don't cause my knee pain.

One thing that I find interesting is the polar shift, some say we will have one soon, and the quake also caused the Earth to shift 4 inches on it's axis, I find that interesting as well.

Please explain what you mean by "polar shift" and what is expected to happen soon.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Getting rid of a superfluous "s"

BUT, the moon does have effects on the Earth.

One thing that I find interesting is the polar shift, some say we will have one soon, and the quake also caused the Earth to shift 4 inches on it's axis, I find that interesting as well.

That's nothing. The first time the 10th Region was played somewhere other than the Mason County Fieldhouse, the Earth shifted 5 inches off its axis.

Maybe it's Narnia! Has anyone checked the wardrobe recently? :eek:

Here is an excellent article: http://www.news.com.au/technology/japan-earthquake-scientists-dismiss-moon-apocalypse-as-nonsense/story-e6frfrnr-1226020181199

The fact that these theories are being lapped shows a worrying disregard for science and suggests an almost hysterical, apocalyptic reaction to the natural disasters that have pounded the globe in recent months, including the Queensland floods and the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Scientists said that although the Moon can have an effect on tides, it cannot cause earthquakes.

Professor George Helffrich, a seismologist at the University of Bristol in the UK, said: "Complete nonsense. The moon has no significant effect on earthquake triggering."

Geologists said that the deadly Ring of Fire bordering the Pacific Ocean was the cause of yesterday's earthquake.

The vast series of mountain chains and deep trenches is renowned for its volatility, and when it rumbles under the volume of the world's largest ocean, the scene is perfectly set for devastating tsunamis.

Dr Roger Musson, of the British Geological Survey, said: "The cause of this earthquake is that the Pacific Plate, which is one of the largest of the tectonic plates that makes up the crust of the Earth, is plunging deep underneath Japan.

The article also lists the largest earthquakes on record. It's an interesting list.