Russell 28 East Carter 10

Cubster

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most boring unispired performances I have seen in a while. Russell came out with no emotion and played that way for most of the game. They better learn that they can't just turn it on and off.

East Carters defense stacked 11 in the box and dared Russell to throw. They did a little bit but for the most part just stuck to the grind out running game. Drew Abrams again hit the holes and ran hard. The player of the game IMO was the Russell offensive line.

Jones ankle did hold him back. It appeared he was not up to full speed running the ball. He did throw it well and had a few go off the tips of the recievers fingers. The passing game was there anytime they wanted it.

East Carter did play hard and with ALOT more emotion.

One of the most boring unispired performances I have seen in a while. Russell came out with no emotion and played that way for most of the game. They better learn that they can't just turn it on and off.

East Carters defense stacked 11 in the box and dared Russell to throw. They did a little bit but for the most part just stuck to the grind out running game. Drew Abrams again hit the holes and ran hard. The player of the game IMO was the Russell offensive line.

Jones ankle did hold him back. It appeared he was not up to full speed running the ball. He did throw it well and had a few go off the tips of the recievers fingers. The passing game was there anytime they wanted it.

East Carter did play hard and with ALOT more emotion.

let's see

Reason for East's to play hard and with ALOT more emotion;

1. Playing at home

2. It's Homecoming

3. They are underdogs on their home turf

4. They haven't beaten Russell in ???? years

5. The opponent is Russell

I don't intend to be mean FBall, but it's the same story every week with your first post at the end of the game. (Flat, Unspired, no emotion, can't play that way, etc etc etc). I stood directly behind the bench and I heard every Sr. Captain walking around telling the other players before the opening kickoff to "ruin their homecoming celebration" "step it up" etc.

Yes, East took the ball down deep into our territory on the first drive, but the defense did stiffen up and force a field goal. East did make deep into our territory 2 other times, once on a punt return that should have been called back with 2 blocks in the back in clear site of an official, and the other when the 2nd team defense was in.

I do agree with you that the MVP was the o-line tonight. With 11 men stacked in the box, it made blocking lanes hard to create,but I thought they did a good job. Jones was a little long on several passes that were open tonight, but did hit a few shorter passes that turned into long runs. He was most definetly favoring his leg tonight, that's why I'm glad he was only used sparingly on defense.

Once again, I apologize if my opening statement is harsh, I just want folks to understand these are 16, 17 year old student-athetles out there and we need as fans to do our part to build them up and talk about the many positives and not dwell on the one or two negatives.

Thats not mean and I understand. But talk is cheap. Play that way on the field.

They are 16-18 years old. Thats plenty old enough not to have to be built up. I think this team is extremely talented. They need to play up to that level of talent on every play. Not just when they feel they have to. This team needs to play with more of chip on their shoulder.

The building up part. Russell played with its best player injured and as you said sparingly on defense and did not allow a TD against the starters. Against a team that was fired up and determined to prove a point.

They are 16-18 years old. Thats plenty old enough not to have to be built up. I think this team is extremely talented. They need to play up to that level of talent on every play. Not just when they feel they have to. This team needs to play with more of chip on their shoulder.

The building up part. Russell played with its best player injured and as you said sparingly on defense and did not allow a TD against the starters. Against a team that was fired up and determined to prove a point.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you. And that is exactly the point that should be hit home with the players. What I see is more of the turning off / on of the motivated play still being done by our younger 1st team players. The good news, is that I am seeing fewer players each game doing that. I think the challenge that Ashland gave last week helped in that regard.

I agree, that each week Russell needs to go into the game knowing that their opponent wants to be the one to take them down a few notches.

But I am seeing progress. Which is good

Good night all, talk again tomorrow. it is getting late.

The building up part. Russell played with its best player injured and as you said sparingly on defense and did not allow a TD against the starters. Against a team that was fired up and determined to prove a point.

IMO I think this teams needs to readless of the press and concentrate on whats going on on the field. I've watched them grow up since sixth grade. It has always been the same. A ton of talent, just a moody bunch of kids. HOPEFULLY, they will learn that they have a target on their back and they have to learn to play up to their potential an entire game. Then, they will learn to take it up a notch further.

IMO I think this teams needs to readless of the press and concentrate on whats going on on the field. I've watched them grow up since sixth grade. It has always been the same. A ton of talent, just a moody bunch of kids. HOPEFULLY, they will learn that they have a target on their back and they have to learn to play up to their potential an entire game. Then, they will learn to take it up a notch further.

:thumb:

Thoughts after watching the game.... 1. football in eastern kentucky is quite a bit down this season. Lots of O-fer teams. 2. Russell is solid, not as good as some previous Russell teams but still good. 3. East continues to struggle offensively. They need to add holsters to the uniform to hold the gun that they shoot themselves in the foot with. 4. The comments about East stacking the box with 11 people to stop the run is a bit misleading. East was playing man coverage. The truth of the matter is Russell stacks the box on offense most every down. Russell is amazingly simple and yet very effective. I do not understand how high school kids play man coverage verses Russell's receivers who simply block on run plays and release down the field on pass plays and yet they have trouble covering. It is like they get lulled to sleep and then when they wake up to realize its a pass the receiver is already up on them. 5. There is no staff anywhere in our area that can compare to the wisdom and experience and talent of the Russell staff, particularly the coaching triumvirate of McGlone, Jones, and Morris. They remind me of old farmer's that know their equipment, how to fix it, and how to use it. They will find your weakness and you will pay. East played man coverage and they had a player that they found in the secondary and picked on him time and again. Any time they needed a play they picked on that same d-back. Hats off to the Russell staff. 6. Don't let Russell's linebackers fool you...they fail the look test as they both look like JV kids but they pass the play test...making play after play. Russell had a couple of kids that looked alot like tarzan and they drew your attention; however, those two linbackers kept making plays. 7. I would like a dollar for everytime I heard people saying that Mason County will kill Russell...my reply is "not so fast my friends!" Here is why. First, no matter how many rah, rah posts the Russell fans put on here complaining about the emotional play of the red devils the truth of the matter is they are not going to be "up" for the East game until East becomes a team that requires them to be up for. You can only get up the way the crowd defines up a couple of times a year. This was not the game for the red devil faithful to be worrying about the emotional state of the team. Second, If East would not turn it over in crucial areas of the field the Mason game would have been much closer and the russell game would have been even closer. The first half fumble to give russell the 14-3 lead was huge. Third, the Tyler Jones factor. He played one of the grittiest games I have ever seen on an ankle that was 60% at best. Case in point. The first time he ran the ball he barely got tripped up...which hurt the ankle more...on a good wheel he was gone. If he is healthy the game would not have been as close as it was. So, take the 8 turnovers out of the East Mason game and you have a comparable score of the East Russell game but add a healthy ankle on #8 and the game margin of this game is much greater! So, give a slight nod to Mason but it will be close! I would like to see that game for sure. Best of luck to both teams...the raiders need to heal up, come up with some plays that can score, and take care of the comets in two weeks.

Must be the fresh air at East Carter ... Devils always grind out a win at East for several reasons mentioned above .... I was encouraged to hear East loaded the box and forced Devils hand a little .... Good for East ... Will help Devils grow , and that's what this season is all about - growing all these new players for playoffs ... Devils have talent

FBALL

Russell is 5-0.

FBALL

Russell is 5-0.

I am aware Jay.

But it almost looks like work to them. Not the fact that they have to try hard to beat teams because all teams do. But the fact that they look like they are not having any fun. They break the huddle and they look like OK here we go again. They just like like there is no joy in playing.

I heard alot of people last year that didn't like it when Kasey was dancing in pregame and jumping around and talking the whole time the game was going on. One thing was for sure though. He had fun playing the game and he did it very well.

I really like this group. They are very talented. I just think they need to play with the emotion and joy that they had when they were little kids. Its a game. Have fun, fly around, celebrate and quit acting like its a job.

Thoughts after watching the game.... 1. football in eastern kentucky is quite a bit down this season. Lots of O-fer teams. 2. Russell is solid' date=' not as good as some previous Russell teams but still good. 3. East continues to struggle offensively. They need to add holsters to the uniform to hold the gun that they shoot themselves in the foot with. 4. The comments about East stacking the box with 11 people to stop the run is a bit misleading. East was playing man coverage. The truth of the matter is Russell stacks the box on offense most every down. Russell is amazingly simple and yet very effective. I do not understand how high school kids play man coverage verses Russell's receivers who simply block on run plays and release down the field on pass plays and yet they have trouble covering. It is like they get lulled to sleep and then when they wake up to realize its a pass the receiver is already up on them. 5. There is no staff anywhere in our area that can compare to the wisdom and experience and talent of the Russell staff, particularly the coaching triumvirate of McGlone, Jones, and Morris. They remind me of old farmer's that know their equipment, how to fix it, and how to use it. They will find your weakness and you will pay. East played man coverage and they had a player that they found in the secondary and picked on him time and again. Any time they needed a play they picked on that same d-back. Hats off to the Russell staff. 6. Don't let Russell's linebackers fool you...they fail the look test as they both look like JV kids but they pass the play test...making play after play. Russell had a couple of kids that looked alot like tarzan and they drew your attention; however, those two linbackers kept making plays. 7. I would like a dollar for everytime I heard people saying that Mason County will kill Russell...my reply is "not so fast my friends!" Here is why. First, no matter how many rah, rah posts the Russell fans put on here complaining about the emotional play of the red devils the truth of the matter is they are not going to be "up" for the East game until East becomes a team that requires them to be up for. You can only get up the way the crowd defines up a couple of times a year. This was not the game for the red devil faithful to be worrying about the emotional state of the team. Second, If East would not turn it over in crucial areas of the field the Mason game would have been much closer and the russell game would have been even closer. The first half fumble to give russell the 14-3 lead was huge. Third, the Tyler Jones factor. He played one of the grittiest games I have ever seen on an ankle that was 60% at best. Case in point. The first time he ran the ball he barely got tripped up...which hurt the ankle more...on a good wheel he was gone. If he is healthy the game would not have been as close as it was. So, take the 8 turnovers out of the East Mason game and you have a comparable score of the East Russell game but add a healthy ankle on #8 and the game margin of this game is much greater! So, give a slight nod to Mason but it will be close! I would like to see that game for sure. Best of luck to both teams...the raiders need to heal up, come up with some plays that can score, and take care of the comets in two weeks.[/quote']

Those two LBs were sophmores. They will both be very good.

As for stacking the box. East had all 11 up there and had the cornors crashing quite a bit. Yes Russell does go two tight the majority of the time but you cannot cover the pass routes in man coverage. Yes they do actually have pass routes and do not just release down field.

Russells coaching is top notch. Coach McGlone is either the most patient or most stubborn man I know.