Russell 28 East Carter 10

Cubster

By the way Russelldad with out going to far into it that is not exactly what the kid from Russell was doing.

Coach Baldwin was yelling even louder and rightfully so. That is not exactly what happened.

Also walking to and from the huddle in the 1st quarter I doubt is from fatigue.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the same time an East player was down on the ground. One of the Russell kids walked over to check on the player

I was there. This is not what happened. I know for a fact that Coach Smith would not berate a kid for checking on an injured player.

So' date=' if you feel a need to place blame on individuals, UOTE']

I had no intention of blaming any particular player for east, especially the defense. My post was intended to compliment the Russell staff that they found the weakness in our defense which was a mismatch between one of their receivers and whoever was trying to cover him from east...not really sure if it was the exact same person all the time...could have been 2 or 3 different db's that were burnt by the russell end.

As I look back on the wording of my post I can see that it appeared as if I was calling out one particular player and that was not my intention. Apparently I struck a nerve and I apologize.

Best of luck to the Raiders! Heal up and get wound up for the comets!

No need to apologize. I'm sure your intentions were good. If I see a lack of effort, then I will be critical too, but I believe the effort is there and that's all I expect from the players as well as the coaches. Work hard and give your best effort, that's all that should be expected.

(previous quote)There is no staff anywhere in our area that can compare to the wisdom and experience and talent of the Russell staff, particularly the coaching triumvirate of McGlone, Jones, and Morris.

I could not agree with you more about these three. I would also have to add Hurley and Locey. All do an excellent job of both coaching and teaching during the game. The only one that really puzzles me is Smith. Two or three times I have seen him get in players faces and rant and rave. Case in point, at East Carter game, there were probably 4 minutes to go in the game and Russel was up 28 to 3. And a flag was thrown on a punt by Russell. At the same time an East player was down on the ground. One of the Russell kids walked over to check on the player and when Smith seen him do that he yelled and got into the face of the russell player berating and embarassing him in front of his teammates and all of the fans, about not coming straight to the sideline and letting the coaches take care of their players. He was yelling so loud at him that I could hear some 50 yards away on the other side of the field. I watched the player try to tell him what he was doing but Smith didn't give him a chance and sent him straight to the bench. Personally, I don't think any coach at this level needs to act that way towards any player. As I said earlier, these are 15,17 year old kids and acting that way can often do more harm than good. Besides embarrasing the player it also makes the rest of the coaching staff look bad. Maybe he needs to take some pointers from McGlone, Morris, Jones, Hurley and Locey.

You obviously haven't been watching Russell football long.

I've seen a few of the coaches you listed in players faces.

This isn't the JFL.

Don't be so sensitive.

Thanks, oldrambler. Just speaking from the heart. I've been reading some other posts about Russell players walking around everywhere, and what people have to realize is that of the 80-90 players on the team, only 15 to 16 are players are playing any significant time. I know that guys like Jones, Foster, bailey, abrams are playing every snap of every possession including special teams. The only rotation I see on offense is Max Rogers, for Bates and Bender at the end position opposite M. Dillon. On defense, Hicks, spells Dixon and Bender for a few plays and Cornwell gets spelled for a couple of plays by Jacob Moore. Other come in for 3 or 4 plays here and there, but that's it. Last year with that crop of seniors, guys could get whole series off on defense sometimes. We just don't have the same depth this year. Hopefully we can have some backup/role guys continue to step up in practice and maybe by playoff time we can give some of those players a series off at the beginning of the game. That way they will be fresher in the 4th qtr and not walking around.

One of the big problems is that vertually every game was a toss up into the fourth quarter. It's hard to play the backups much.

One of the big problems is that vertually every game was a toss up into the fourth quarter. It's hard to play the backups much.

I've not noticed it as a problem at all. The coaching staff has subbed pretty liberally I think. You have seen a few younger players getting minutes early in games particularly on defense.

Also this team is not as explosive as the last few teams. There is no Gross or Clark in the backfield. They move the ball and shorten the game by controlling the clock. The are not going to score points in bunches.

The play calling has also been very conservative. The offensive line has played well so keep it simple so the new starters can learn on the fly so to speak. I think you will see the offense open up a little more in the second half of the season.

okay I understand where your going. thanks RaiderNation. I was just going on what I heard Coach Smith saying to the player about not coming to the sidelines on a dead ball. I still think thought that acting that way at any high school level event whether sports, academics or classroom does more damage to a young person's self-esteem, and self-worth about themselves than it does help. I have coached Youth Sports for years and I have never seen one instance when calling a kid out like that in front of teammates, friends, family and fans has ever turned out for the good. Good luck to the Raiders the rest of the season.

I applaud any coach who holds kids accountable for taunting or unsportsmanlike acts on the field.

If this is the case kudos to Coach Smith.

More parents should hold their kids accountable.

I applaud any coach who holds kids accountable for taunting or unsportsmanlike acts on the field.

If this is the case kudos to Coach Smith.

More parents should hold their kids accountable.

Plus, it helps to reinforce to the players that a 15 yrd penalty at a critical point in the game can swing momentum to the other side of the ball. It seems personal fouls are being called much more often. Our biggest problem has been the "late hit" penalty this year. Devils have to be careful on the sideline tackels especially.