Private Schools submit two proposals

Trinity alum

The private schools have submitted two proposals to the KHSAA. The first deals with enforcement issues. The second proposes a geographic limit on high school athletes at the larger private schools. The proposed limit is 25 miles. These are both compromise positions that the privates have put forth before. Will there be enough public school takers?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does stepped up enforcement mean?

Hearsay nailed it. However, in addition it means instead of having "witchcraft trials" the powers that be need to actually make and prove a case when they suspect there is a violation of the rules. Once a violation is PROVEN then the offenders should be nailed to the cross. However, if a case can't be made/proved that needs to be the end of it.

On this topic, someone in the know sent me this:

Numerous non-public schools submitted a territory proposal for the delegate assembly to consider. The BOC asked that it be removed, as it did for some proposals submitted by others. Their reasoning was that they don’t want any proposals on the agenda for this year that restrict student participation. The sponsors of the territory proposal followed the BOC’s request. This action by the BOC, which is within its jurisdiction, is aligned with clear messages sent by legislators over the last many months. Numerous non-publics have also resubmitted a proposal that would cause tougher enforcement of the association’s rules. The last time it was submitted it carried almost 50% support among delegates.

On this topic, someone in the know sent me this:

Numerous non-public schools submitted a territory proposal for the delegate assembly to consider. The BOC asked that it be removed, as it did for some proposals submitted by others. Their reasoning was that they don’t want any proposals on the agenda for this year that restrict student participation. The sponsors of the territory proposal followed the BOC’s request. This action by the BOC, which is within its jurisdiction, is aligned with clear messages sent by legislators over the last many months. Numerous non-publics have also resubmitted a proposal that would cause tougher enforcement of the association’s rules. The last time it was submitted it carried almost 50% support among delegates.

So the tougher enforcement stays and the territory proposal is gone?

• 2 weeks later...
The private schools have submitted two proposals to the KHSAA. The first deals with enforcement issues. The second proposes a geographic limit on high school athletes at the larger private schools. The proposed limit is 25 miles. These are both compromise positions that the privates have put forth before. Will there be enough public school takers?

1. How come it singles out larger private schools and not all private schools?

2. Enforcement, it works so well now. I believe the KHSAA is responsible for enforcement and if they are not doing their job, the state should come down on them. After all, the state decided to NOT listen to the vote a few years back and vetoed what the KHSAA and the members wanted.

3. Solve the whole problem. Come up with a formula, such as, private schools population counts 1.5 / kid or 1.75 (whatever # works best) and this would level the playing field in football. The next step would be to classify the other sports. Private and/or public; you will never have a level playing field as long as the smallest schools have to compete against the largest (basketball, baseball, softball)... If the KHSAA truly wants to fix the problem, which I am convinced they don't want to deal with the headache, they need to put all sports into classifications. For example, how can you expect Highview Baptist to compete with St Xavier; Berea to compete with Madison Central, Sayre to compete with Paul Dunbar.

I'm not sure that I understand the multiplier concept that well. Is that because the private school students are inherently better athletes? I'm not saying that it is not a workable solution or component of a solution, simply that I don't understand why one student body needs to be multiplied in order to make things more equal.

I'm not sure that I understand the multiplier concept that well. Is that because the private school students are inherently better athletes? I'm not saying that it is not a workable solution or component of a solution, simply that I don't understand why one student body needs to be multiplied in order to make things more equal.

I know all single sex schools are counted as twice their enrollment for classification purposes.

Yes but DeSales is moved up considerably because of it.

Okay so lets say everyone private is moved up a class because of a multiplier.

So Trinity and X stay 6A, CovCath moves to 5A where they already moved to.

NCC and Owensboro Cath. move up to 3A....... and meet in the 3A final. How is that leveling the playing field for those 3A public schools that did not have have those private schools in their class previously?