PIKEVILLE 2006

Thumbtack

I think they return a good group of talent at the skill positions. Mayo will be good at QB and Harmon should be tuff at RB. Add in the Honaker's and things appear good on paper.

CoachJ has some talent, but Im not sure he has the beef to get as far as Pikeville fans would like.

I see a good season for Pikeville. They will do well against 1a competition, but their lack of size hurts them when they step up.

The kids are working harder and doing some things in the weight room that they should have been doing years ago. Plus we have a very talented crop of freshman coming up from 8th grade next year. I believe well be better than we were last year and even better in the next couple of years. The future looks bright for this team. Keep it up Coach J.

How will their o-line and d-line be? Who is over the defense?

Coach Mike Copley runs the defense for the Panthers. They will be pretty good this year. Most of the D-line returns (Shurtleff, Rowe, Bryant), OLB Ted Honaker will be back, Mayo will probably move from FS to MLB, Tim Honaker might be the other LB, the secondary will have Harmon, Sword, & Jackson returning. These guys have been busting their butts in the weight room ever since the loss to Somerset. This will be a very good defensive unit.

How will their o-line and d-line be? Who is over the defense?

They will be better I guarantee it for one simple fact Coach Jackson and Coach Copely are dedicated to making those kids not just stronger, but faster. Anyone who watched the Belfry,NCC,and Somerset games last year know that if we are going to beat those teams like we used to we must get stonger and faster in order to even compete with them. We had the athletes this past year to stay with if not beat every team I just mentioned. The training and conditioning just werent there and that isnt coach J or the current staffs fault. This didnt happen in december and january when it should have. Coach J didnt arrive till april when spring practice was already over, so there wasnt a whole lot he could do about it. Ive seen a little of the current staffs off season program and needless to say Im impressed. I believe there is no reason why we wont be better next year and even better in the years to come. Coach J doesnt want just one good team he wants a good program.

Coach Mike Copley runs the defense for the Panthers. They will be pretty good this year. Most of the D-line returns (Shurtleff, Rowe, Bryant), OLB Ted Honaker will be back, Mayo will probably move from FS to MLB, Tim Honaker might be the other LB, the secondary will have Harmon, Sword, & Jackson returning. These guys have been busting their butts in the weight room ever since the loss to Somerset. This will be a very good defensive unit.

What do you think about our freshmen crop coming in next year?

All I can add is that Mike Jackson was a tough competitor in college, a tough competitor at Oldham County, and if commitment, strength and conditioning is what the program needs to get back to the top, he'll get them there.

Commitment and a good S&C program is what any program needs to either stay on top or get back there. Coach J is the real deal.

Commitment and a good S&C program is what any program needs to either stay on top or get back there. Coach J is the real deal.

WOAH! Way too much being said here about ONE person on this TEAM sport website...

Best thing the Head Coach is doing is allowing good people around him to do what they do best and get out of their way. I've been in charge of the weight room for some of my teams in the past, but Michael Copley -- our strength coordinator -- is too talented and too dedicated not to be allowed to be in charge of doing what he does best.

The workouts are intense, long, tedious in the way we require them to be technically-sound, are centered around building TOUGHNESS as well as strength (so they're GRUELING some days) BUT the kids keep on coming back -- and more new kids join in every week it seems. It's because Copley does what a good coach should: he pushes them hard, but does the "little things" good coaches do to make them WANT to come work hard.

A lot of credit for what's gone on so far too goes to a bunch of kids that were asked to make a pretty radical change in the way they trained and keep coming back for more.

Also, the coaches of our other sports have been EXTREMELY open to the idea that building STRENGTH is a GOOD thing in THEIR sports too...so there's not a situation where 5 or 6 of your best athletes are going 3 or 4 months without strength/quickness/agility/speed training -- and more importantly, INJURY PREVENTION.

Finally, the administration has been GREAT about responding to some needs we've mentioned...can't go into details here, but they've made a great commitment with VERY little "red tape" to work around to improve our training facilities (and not just for training football kids...for ALL kids in the school -- including non-athletes that just need a more healthy lifestyle).