Is religion a consequence of location?

Zlatan

I have really enjoyed the politics and religion forum since I discovered it, and I have a question. I've read what I consider to be some interesting opinions on religion. I read a post a while back about the thought that Muslims and Jews are destined to Hell. It got me thinking if the very people who claim that believe that they themselves would be Muslims and Jews if they were born there.

Here's my question: Would you be a Muslim if born in Herat, Afghanistan? Would you practice Hinduism if you were born in Allahabad, India? Would you practice Buddhism if you were born near the Shansi caves in China, and so on?

Or, alternatively, would you have sought out the religion to which you now believe to be the true proclaimer of that which is unseen?

This is obviously all here-say and speculation, but I'm curious to hear what you think.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a chicken/egg thing when it comes to the areas listed?

Exactly. The only reason the parents influence the children the way that they do is because they were taught that way, IMO. I think the general consensus so far is that we'd all be saying Christians are going to Jahannam if we were Muslims. So what's the point? It's finger-pointing non-sense to me.

I was raised in Alabama and my folks are Bama fans. But as I grew older I knew I could switch to Auburn anytime, a person can change from their parents Religion, but in some cases the location might make it very hard to do so. In the hollars where I'm from there were Baptists/Southern Baptists/Free Will Baptists.

I know/heard of a lot of folks who once were Catholic due to their parents and now attend non Catholic Churches. And just a few who were vice versa on this one.

Could we also add Marriage for a reason?

Well sure it is, and it often times comes down to the most basic of locations. What are your parents religious belief. For some it may very from there but for the vast majority it will stay similar to their parents but perhaps more "flexible" so to speak.

Edited by sportsfan41

I was raised in Alabama and my folks are Bama fans. But as I grew older I knew I could switch to Auburn anytime, a person can change from their parents Religion, but in some cases the location might make it very hard to do so. In the hollars where I'm from there were Baptists/Southern Baptists/Free Will Baptists.

I know/heard of a lot of folks who once were Catholic due to their parents and now attend non Catholic Churches. And just a few who were vice versa on this one.

Do you think you would be a Christian if you were born in Afghanistan?

Apples and oranges, Al.