Is religion a consequence of location?

Zlatan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the specific religion (Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, etc), I actually think Former hit it on the head in post #5.

Worship, however, is inherent IMO & has nothing to do with either parents or location.

What does your last statement mean in regards to the question.

If many agree that your religion is based upon factors such as your parents and where you were born and the religion of that area then doesn't then how do we reconcile our belief that Jesus is with us in the womb? Does he already know who is joining the team and is only with them? Or, like FKW, he is with everyone but then some choose to look elsewhere? Is Jesus regional?

This external influence causes some serious questions as to things we've always assumed or have been taught.

I have three questions for my Christian friends here.

1. If you were born in Saudi Arabia do you believe you would be Muslim?

2. Do you believe Muslims are going to heaven?

3. Not very fair, is it?

1. Absolutely.

2. Yes I believe they will if they live their life as a good person.

3. N/A due to my answers to 1) & 2)....:D

1. Absolutely.

2. Yes I believe they will if they live their life as a good person.

3. N/A due to my answers to 1) & 2)....:D

Chicken. :D

Just kidding, based on your posts I do believe you aren't skating the issue and believe Muslims will go to heaven. So, I guess I need to expand, what are your perceived thoughts on the requirements to get into heaven? Is it just being a good person? If so, do I, an open atheist get in? This is of course assuming I'm a good person.

Just kidding, based on your posts I do believe you aren't skating the issue and believe Muslims will go to heaven. So, I guess I need to expand, what are your perceived thoughts on the requirements to get into heaven? Is it just being a good person? If so, do I, an open atheist get in? This is of course assuming I'm a good person.

I believe you would.

To me it's simple. If God is a loving God, which I believe he is, I find it impossible to fathom that he would turn away from heaven you or I or anyone else that lived their life properly, for the simple fact that they had a different set of beliefs. If a man lives in Iraq, has never been exposed to Christianity, is a devout Muslim and lives his life treating others as he wishes to be treated, will God really turn him away? I say no.

After all if you live your life treating others decently, with integrity and conviction, are you not truly following most of God's teachings anyways? :idunno:

I have three questions for my Christian friends here.

1. If you were born in Saudi Arabia do you believe you would be Muslim?

2. Do you believe Muslims are going to heaven?

3. Not very fair, is it?

I'm glad this has its own thread, because I've long brought this exact question up to people and I posed it exactly has FKYW has here.

In fact, I know I've asked it in several religion threads on here as they started getting off the main topic. I always took it a step further because if I was born in a country where let's say Buddhism is the primary religion and Christian missionaries came to try and spread their word...there is no way I would convert to Christianity after a life of having my own beliefs. Just like I wouldn't if a Muslim tried to convert me now. So that would mean that the Buddhist me would go to hell? I never thought that was right.

I believe you would.

To me it's simple. If God is a loving God, which I believe he is, I find it impossible to fathom that he would turn away from heaven you or I or anyone else that lived their life properly, for the simple fact that they had a different set of beliefs. If a man lives in Iraq, has never been exposed to Christianity, is a devout Muslim and lives his life treating others as he wishes to be treated, will God really turn him away? I say no.

After all if you live your life treating others decently, with integrity and conviction, are you not truly following most of God's teachings anyways? :idunno:

Which is why I have my own dilemna with what I just posted in #26. I've always been taught growing up that Jesus Christ said, "The only way to get through Heaven is through him." Meaning we have to believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior to get into heaven. Definitely something I've struggled with thinking about.

Good thread.

I believe you would.

So, what's the purpose of religion then?

I agree. God is just. The Incans of Machu Picchu never experienced any Christian influence. Certainly God would not judge them as if they had understood the Bible and the Ten Commandments.