Trading in my car..

Hangman

After 4.5 years together, I feel it's time that my Ford Focus and I part ways. A lot of little things have happened and collectively they make me despise that car. :lol:

When I bought it in 2007, I didn't have much in the way of credit and my grandmother had to co-sign for me. She lives in Georgia, and it's not the easiest thing in the world for me to get her here for a trade-in. Does a cosigner have to be present to trade the vehicle in? I don't think I will have a problem getting financed this time on my own, but wasn't sure how that worked and wanted some clarification before I wasted my time.

Anybody have any ideas of what I should consider getting? I'm looking to get a truck with decent gas mileage. I'm thinking a Chevy Colorado. Anything but a Ranger is an option... I have never liked Ford Rangers.

After 4.5 years together, I feel it's time that my Ford Focus and I part ways. A lot of little things have happened and collectively they make me despise that car. :lol:

When I bought it in 2007, I didn't have much in the way of credit and my grandmother had to co-sign for me. She lives in Georgia, and it's not the easiest thing in the world for me to get her here for a trade-in. Does a cosigner have to be present to trade the vehicle in? I don't think I will have a problem getting financed this time on my own, but wasn't sure how that worked and wanted some clarification before I wasted my time.

Anybody have any ideas of what I should consider getting? I'm looking to get a truck with decent gas mileage. I'm thinking a Chevy Colorado. Anything but a Ranger is an option... I have never liked Ford Rangers.

Speaking from experience...if you're going for a smaller truck (Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger/Frontier), go for the 4WD AND the V6. The smaller pickups tend to slide around a LOT more in the rain and snow than their bigger relatives because of the weight, so 4WD is almost a must in the winter, and if you're getting 4WD and gas mileage is a priority, you don't want a 4 cylinder because the when the little 4-banger engine has to drive the larger motor gears associated with a 4WD, it sucks gas just as much as a bigger engine. Case in point, I drive a '99 Tacoma 4WD with a 4 cylinder engine. When it was NEW, I got +/- 19 miles per gallon when it was in two-wheel drive, and about 15 miles per gallon in four-wheel drive. My buddy, who owned a '98 Tacoma V6 got more like 23 or 24 miles per gallon in two-wheel drive, and 18 or 19 in four-wheel drive.

Don't knock the ranger, I've still got mine from 2002 and it runs great and it does what I need. Granted I have other vehicles but the ranger has been a good little side vehicle/main vehicle for almost a decade now.

Personal preference. My dad had one and it was fine for him. I just didn't like it. Can't pinpoint why.

Did she co sign the loan? is she on the title? If shes on the title then yes she will have to be with you, (or a notary signiture of release from title) If she just cosigned the loan, either party can close the loan (as long as it is paid in full)

Sounds correct to me.

Speaking from experience...if you're going for a smaller truck (Colorado/Tacoma/Ranger/Frontier), go for the 4WD AND the V6. The smaller pickups tend to slide around a LOT more in the rain and snow than their bigger relatives because of the weight, so 4WD is almost a must in the winter, and if you're getting 4WD and gas mileage is a priority, you don't want a 4 cylinder because the when the little 4-banger engine has to drive the larger motor gears associated with a 4WD, it sucks gas just as much as a bigger engine. Case in point, I drive a '99 Tacoma 4WD with a 4 cylinder engine. When it was NEW, I got +/- 19 miles per gallon when it was in two-wheel drive, and about 15 miles per gallon in four-wheel drive. My buddy, who owned a '98 Tacoma V6 got more like 23 or 24 miles per gallon in two-wheel drive, and 18 or 19 in four-wheel drive.

Do you have an auto or 5 speed? There's a huge difference between the two. I would never get the auto, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the 5 speed. I've had 3 over the years, two were 4 cylinder 5 speeds and the other was a v6 5 speed. The 4 cylinders got much better mileage, and I never had an issue with power. Now I have a v8 Tundra, and while I miss the mileage of the little 4 cylinder, I wouldn't trade this thing for anything.

As for the OP, I've never heard anything positive about the Colorado or Canyon.

Do you have an auto or 5 speed? There's a huge difference between the two. I would never get the auto, but I wouldn't hesitate to get the 5 speed. I've had 3 over the years, two were 4 cylinder 5 speeds and the other was a v6 5 speed. The 4 cylinders got much better mileage, and I never had an issue with power. Now I have a v8 Tundra, and while I miss the mileage of the little 4 cylinder, I wouldn't trade this thing for anything.

As for the OP, I've never heard anything positive about the Colorado or Canyon.

...mine is an automatic. So was my buddy's V6, for what it's worth.

If you are looing at gas mileage as a factor, I think that you will be surprised how bad the gas mileage is for the small pick ups. Just get an F-150 their gas mileage is better or the same as the small trucks you mentioned.

I would pass on the Colorado! I got a Tacoma, wouldn't trade it for the world. Cost a little more but run forever! Or a Frontier if $ is an issue. I had an 04 Desert Runner edition and it was a good truck! Most of the chevy and fords develop annoying sounds and rattles after a couple of years. My Tacoma has 82k miles now and is 5 years old and still runs and sounds like new and not a single rattle.