Holy Spirit

I got into a debate with another person on this. Who/What is the Holy Spirit. I have some ideas of course and I'd like to read some imput from folks here. I promise I will not argue and just post what I believe but using scripture.

STANDING UP WITH MY LEFT HAND ON THE BIBLE AND RIGHT HAND IS RAISDED, but wearing a Bama cap/shirt.

Big question.

Simple answer: one of the three persons of the Holy Trinity, consubstantial with the Father and the Son.

The Holy Spirit is probably the toughest aspect to pin down of the Trinity because the Spirit has never spoken for itself. God the Father spoke directly to his people in the Old Testament. God the Son spoke directly to his people in the New Testament. God the Spirit has spoken through the prophets and through the saints. Tough to pin down at times.

My favorite passage about the Spirit is in Romans 8, where Paul discusses how the Spirit translates our prayers to God when we're so broken we don't know what to pray. From my perspective, that is beyond cool.

The Holy Spirit has numerous roles, but He makes God very personal, in that He dwells within the life of every believer. And the Spirit is a "He" not an "it."

The Holy Spirit is probably the toughest aspect to pin down of the Trinity because the Spirit has never spoken for itself. God the Father spoke directly to his people in the Old Testament. God the Son spoke directly to his people in the New Testament. God the Spirit has spoken through the prophets and through the saints. Tough to pin down at times.

So when you pray, you are praying the Holy Spirit?

Marvel, they were needed for the Gospel to be heard for people who didn't understand the spoken Language, the gift has been done away with 1st Corinthians. Jesus hears all Langages and doesn't need the gibberish. The other gifts also ceased, if someone says they still have these gifts I ask them to go to the nearest Children's Hospital and put these gifts of healing to work. They can't heal, Praying to Jesus in his name and asking for Prayers for the Medical Staff.

Marvel, they were needed for the Gospel to be heard for people who didn't understand the spoken Language, the gift has been done away with 1st Corinthians. Jesus hears all Langages and doesn't need the gibberish. The other gifts also ceased, if someone says they still have these gifts I ask them to go to the nearest Children's Hospital and put these gifts of healing to work. They can't heal, Praying to Jesus in his name and asking for Prayers for the Medical Staff.

I didn't realize speaking in tongues had to do with healing. So people who speak it now are faking it?

They were gifts, Tongues/Healing/Foretelling. They were given to the Disciples in Acts 2, so if you claim to have one you had them all. Later they were not needed, they ceased. Man cannot heal by touching you, the tongues are used by a lot of folks but are not serving a purpose, does Jesus need a special Language to hear people, they don't give him enough credit.

Paul even tells people back then someone cannot tells others what you are saying you need to sit down and be quite. You had to have someone to interput your tongues. Its a waste of time.

They were gifts, Tongues/Healing/Foretelling. They were given to the Disciples in Acts 2, so if you claim to have one you had them all. Later they were not needed, they ceased. Man cannot heal by touching you, the tongues are used by a lot of folks but are not serving a purpose, does Jesus need a special Language to hear people, they don't give him enough credit.

Paul even tells people back then someone cannot tells others what you are saying you need to sit down and be quite. You had to have someone to interput your tongues. Its a waste of time.

Who is the arbiter of these things?

So it is impossible, or illogical in better terms, to say that the holy spirit does not bestow this gift to people any longer?

Jim, Paul in 1st Corinthians.

Marvel, thats right, If you went to France to share the Gospel and couldn't speak French you would have the gift of Tongues and be able to speak French so they could understand you. Now there are people who can learn and speak it. Or French people have the Bible translated in French. So when you hear "Tongue Speaking" what good is it?

Jim, Paul in 1st Corinthians.

Marvel, thats right, If you went to France to share the Gospel and couldn't speak French you would have the gift of Tongues and be able to speak French so they could understand you. Now there are people who can learn and speak it. Or French people have the Bible translated in French. So when you hear "Tongue Speaking" what good is it?

Please help a poor, decrepit soul, as I'm not interested in digging out one of my Bibles (yes, I have multiples). This is one of the few times I'll ask for a verse for my lazy behind.

Learn to speak it? I thought that was a sin in itself. I was always under the impression that it is blasphemous to speak it unless you are bestowed by the Holy Spirit. Also, does that mean that people who claim to speak it in church service are indeed faking it?