Who is the best male soul singer?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he may not rank very high, but my dad and I always liked Lou Rawls. I nearly cried when he butchered the national anthem once with his rendition, but still, one of my faves.

My list:

Otis

Sam Cooke (I still have my mother's 8track tape of Sam's greatest) I may listen to it this weekend in honor of her on Mother's day.

Marvin Gaye

Barry White

Lou Rawls

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
An Otis Redding album was just released. Picked it up on Itunes.

OTIS REDDING - Lonely & Blue-The Deepest Soul Of Otis Redding | Blurt Magazine

This gives me the chance to once again highly recommend the Stax Records tour in Memphis.

Picked up a copy on blue vinyl a couple weeks ago. It's gone for a ride on my turntable about 8 times now. Definitely worth a buy.

Here is my list.

1. Otis Redding....all time best, no one else compares

2. Sam Cooke....still pop in my Sam Cooke's greatest hits CD about once a month

3. Ray Charles

4. Wilson Pickett ... One of the most overlooked but great soul singers of all time

5. Marvin Gaye

6. Al Greene

7. Smokey Robinson

8. Frankie Lymon

9. David Ruffin

10. James Brown (He is the Godfather, but I just never got into him, not a fan of someone you can't understand a word he sings)

Here is my list.

1. Otis Redding....all time best, no one else compares

2. Sam Cooke....still pop in my Sam Cooke's greatest hits CD about once a month

3. Ray Charles

4. Wilson Pickett ... One of the most overlooked but great soul singers of all time

5. Marvin Gaye

6. Al Greene

7. Smokey Robinson

8. Frankie Lymon

9. David Ruffin

10. James Brown (He is the Godfather, but I just never got into him, not a fan of someone you can't understand a word he sings)

The Godfather of energy and charisma. Never liked his voice.

• 7 months later...

On this date in 1967, soul singer Otis Redding died at the age of 26 when the twin-engine Beechcraft Model 18 he was flying in crashed into the frigid waters of Madison, Wisconsin's Lake Monona on his way from Nashville to play a show at the University of Wisconsin. The crash left only one survivor, trumpeter Ben Cauley of the Stax Records band The Bar-Kays. The cause of the crash was never determined.

Otis is one of my absolute favorites. Here's a 'Sad Song' in honor of the 46th anniversary of his death.