Who is the best male soul singer?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love listening to Sam Cooke, but Otis is the greatest there ever was. Proof: performance at Monterey in '67. He blew the roof off the place. Came on after The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane and Booker T and the MGs, started playing "Shake" and stunned the whole crowd.

I guess my last question is getting answered. :lol:

On certain days I say Otis and then there are others where I pick Cooke. Guess it depends on my mood. I haven't heard many Cooke live performances so that might sway my vote. I agree with Getslow, Otis could blow the roof off a place.

This might be a better question, where does Otis rank among solo male artists in all genres?

Otis for me as well. I'm kind of surprised though, if you asked me who most people would choose I would have been certain it would be Sam.
I agree. I thought including him in with Cooke would have been considered the faux pas, not the other way around.

Among many people Otis seems to be known as the guy who sings "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"...

Otis

Marvin

The rest. On that short list would have to be Levi Stubbs.

No Sam Cooke at all? Interesting.

Levi would probably make my list of 5...top 10, no doubt. Sam Cooke would be my #2, and I'd have Solomon Burke or Mervin Gaye in #3 and #4, although I'm not sure which would go where. Smokey Robinson and Luther Vandross would be up there too.