October 18, 201114 yr The Bengals defintely did well here. But time will tell how well they did. They have been picking well lately in the draft IMO, so theres a chance this trade could be huge for them.
October 18, 201114 yr And the Bengals have a ton of flexibility to move around in the draft next year. 2 first rounders plus whatever they got for Chad. Glad to see MB did the right thing. If only Mikey Brown had a good track record for moving around in the draft. One of the shortfalls of not having a GM that knows personnel.
October 18, 201114 yr 2010 - 4000 yards 26 TD 20 INT 4 fumbles lost QB rating of 82 that year and 86 for his career. That screams average to me. I won't even count that 6 of those went for 6 on the other team. Just curious but what were his numbers in 2010 after Owens went down and Chad missed the last few games?
October 19, 201114 yr :thumb: Whether you believe Carson is average, below average, could be above average in the right situation is irrelevant. He wasn't worth the price Oakland paid. Surely nobody would argue that. The only way Oakland gets its value back in this deal is if Carson takes them to a Super Bowl. This is a trade teams make when they think they've found the last piece to the Super Bowl puzzle. Not to get a stopgap QB. Palmer may surprise us and go Rich Gannon on the league. Then it would be a good deal. I disagree. If he starts for four years it was well worth it. Jackson knows he probably only has two years. Oakland isn't known for keeping coaches. At best drafting QB's in the 1st round is a 50/50 proposition. He feels CP is a top notch talent. If he's right a 1st and 2nd is a good deal.
October 19, 201114 yr Poor Carson, looks like he didn't have enough to spring for the good Timex... That's how he managed to have so much money saved up in the bank like he'd claimed.
October 19, 201114 yr If only Mikey Brown had a good track record for moving around in the draft. One of the shortfalls of not having a GM that knows personnel. I disagree EZ and so does ProFootballTalk.com: Bengals fans have a right to be excited about their young team. For all his faults, owner Mike Brown has done a nice job drafting in recent years at the top of the draft. His top two picks this year: Andy Dalton and A.J Green — have re-shaped the franchise. In 2009, the team added a strong starting tight end (Jermaine Gresham), a fine pass rusher (Carlos Dunlap), and a good defensive line piece in Geno Atkins. The Bengals have seen some of their other recent picks slowly develop into solid contributors: Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, and Jerome Simpson. Go back even further and you find some top-shelf talent picked like cornerbackLeon Hall, tackle Andrew Whitworth, and cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who left for Houston. This is a better track record than most of the league. If Dalton is for real and the Bengals can hit on their two first round picks next year, they have the makings of a strong young core that will be dangerous in the AFC North.
October 19, 201114 yr According to the way that many others have reacted to the situation over the day, I have to disagree with that. Many have been questioning it seeming to think that this is more beneifcial to the Bengals, which I agree with. I hope that Carson does well with Oakland, but I am much more optimistic about Cincinnati's future. Most people have questioned what they have given up for him. Which I mean who wouldn't question that, what the Bengals got in return is maybe something you thought a team would get for trading Peyton Manning. I supported Palmer, but definitely didn't think he would get that in return. That is the main thing people have questioned, and that is a good thing to question.
October 19, 201114 yr 2010 - 4000 yards 26 TD 20 INT 4 fumbles lost QB rating of 82 that year and 86 for his career. That screams average to me. I won't even count that 6 of those went for 6 on the other team. 2010- 4600 yards 33 TD's 23 interceptions, 9 fumbles, QB Rating of 90. I guess the above QB with the numbers above would be considered just average to correct? Yes he threw for a lot of yards and 33 td's but since he had 23 interceptions and 9 fumbles and a QB rating only 6 points higher than Palmer this guy would qualify as an average QB to right?
October 19, 201114 yr I'm surprised to hear more than a few thinking this will have an immediate impact on ticket sales.
October 19, 201114 yr Just curious but what were his numbers in 2010 after Owens went down and Chad missed the last few games? 48/66 for a 72% completion percentage. 574 yards, 5 touchdown, 2 interceptions. For an average QR of 117 for the last two games. Which also came against the #1 defense in the NFL in the Chargers, and a top 10 defense in the Ravens. Which both teams were still playing for a lot, Chargers were hot and playing for the playoffs. Ravens played everyone and went all out trying to win the division that day. Palmer honestly had every reason in the world to come back this year, young talented receivers, new OC, etc. So makes you wonder what made him decide this.
October 19, 201114 yr I'm surprised to hear more than a few thinking this will have an immediate impact on ticket sales. Those few will think they are right, because if the Bengals do well the next two games. Then the Steelers game is definitely selling out, and probably good chance for a few after that. Attendance was going to start going up anyways now.
October 19, 201114 yr Those few will think they are right, because if the Bengals do well the next two games. Then the Steelers game is definitely selling out, and probably good chance for a few after that. Attendance was going to start going up anyways now. Agreed. However, who really believes that people were staying away while CP was still a member of the team despite not showing up? Anyone?
October 19, 201114 yr The Bengals couldn't get a two for him now potentially got 2 #1's! It is an amazing deal for them. The only thing I hate is how people are thinking Mike Brown is a genius. Had J Campbell not gotten hurt he would have once again been an idiot like he was not trading Chad for two 1's with Washington several years ago. He got very lucky in this one. I can understand the inmates not running the prison though. The Raiders gave up way to much however I think you have to look at the big picture for them. They have been awful until last year. They are in a position to challenge San Diego for the Division. I listened to R Seymour talk and you could hear in his voice when they went from Campbell going down...to Boller starting...to Trent Edwards/Marc Bulger talk...to getting Carson Palmer. The message has been sent to the players we aren't playing around it's time to go win! TJ talked a lot about how Palmer had a bad elbow but is back to normal now. I think the Raiders gave up to much but understand the trade. They can't afford to backslide. They have been awful with their 1st round picks anyways. McFadden has been a stud with no threat of the ball being thrown downfield. Now he should be even better! It was also intersting to hear TJ talk about how even the offensive guys love Zimmer. He has an outstanding reputation in the Pro ranks!
October 19, 201114 yr The Bengals couldn't get a two for him now potentially got 2 #1's! It is an amazing deal for them. The only thing I hate is how people are thinking Mike Brown is a genius. Had J Campbell not gotten hurt he would have once again been an idiot like he was not trading Chad for two 1's with Washington several years ago. He got very lucky in this one. I can understand the inmates not running the prison though. The Raiders gave up way to much however I think you have to look at the big picture for them. They have been awful until last year. They are in a position to challenge San Diego for the Division. I listened to R Seymour talk and you could hear in his voice when they went from Campbell going down...to Boller starting...to Trent Edwards/Marc Bulger talk...to getting Carson Palmer. The message has been sent to the players we aren't playing around it's time to go win! TJ talked a lot about how Palmer had a bad elbow but is back to normal now. I think the Raiders gave up to much but understand the trade. They can't afford to backslide. They have been awful with their 1st round picks anyways. McFadden has been a stud with no threat of the ball being thrown downfield. Now he should be even better! It was also intersting to hear TJ talk about how even the offensive guys love Zimmer. He has an outstanding reputation in the Pro ranks! Do I think Mike is a genius? No. But he is the shrewdest negotiator I've ever represented. In spite of the "no trade" talk, I believe Mike had every intent to trade Palmer at the right time. Mike's been around for a while. He knows that starting QBs get hurt a lot and teams get desperate. Did he foresee the Raiders losing their starting QB? No, he's not a tarot reader either. But common sense and past history said that something like what happened with Oakland would happen to some team. And if it didn't before the trade deadline, Mike could trade Palmer in the spring. It was costing him nothing to park Palmer in S. CA. Heck, Mike had to be pleased as punch to hear Palmer was continuing to work out as that only helped keep Palmer's stock high. Combine that with Mike's "no trade" talk gave Mike the leverage to demand a lot in the trade. Mike has his shortcomings and I understand why people don't like him (a lot of it is Mike's personality which is drier than sand in the Mohave and a lot of it is dangerous pride in being Paul Brown's son), but he is one heck of a negotiator. We know how he out negotiated the Hamilton County Commissioners on PBS and got the Bengals an absolutely fantastic deal. I don't blame Mike for the sweet deal he got on PBS; I blame the idiots at Hamilton County. Great deal Mike and outstanding negotiation tactics. Now continue to stay out of Marvin's way in coaching the team and selecting draft choices. It's working well. Leave Marvin alone and he'll make you a lot of money. I know it's tough for you to do so, being Paul Brown's son and wanting to convince the world that you know as much about the game as your father did and have lived up to the expectations of being Paul Brown's son, but stay out of the way and the Bengals could be more successful (on the field and financially) than you could have ever imagined.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.