Stronger division over that last 10-15 yrs, A or AA

WVA Boy

Stronger Class over last 10-15 yrs: Single A or Double AA  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Stronger Class over last 10-15 yrs: Single A or Double AA

• A
    • AA

Actually, this doesn't exactly help your arguement either since it does nothing to disprove the statement that 1A is dominated by about 4 schools.

As for the ratings, it had nothing to do with any average of rankings, it was merely taken from the Massey Ratings. I looked it up myself to see if that was the source and the numbers were identical. That's just one rating system...:thumb:

We hear this arguement every year and it generally is started by a NKY football fan who thinks anyone outside of the tri-county area is inherently inferior in football... :rolleyes:

The biggest difference in the two classes is the fact that most AA teams are rural based school systems while the dominant A schools are not. Anyone who has ever worked in a county school (talking about schools where there is only one or two high schools in the whole county) knows the difficulties faced by coaches and staff involved in extracurricular activities.

Actually Westsider said it was a "combination" of three rating systems. If it is merely the Massey system then take that up with him. I was trusting that what he was sharing was what he said he was. :thumb:

If you look at those ratings then the top 9 in A are consistently a notch or so above the top 9 in AA by points on the most part. (i.e. 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, etc.) Personally I think it's so close it would be hard to distinguish as one class being "hands down" superior to the other. (which is what Dino said in his first statement.0

For the record I'm far from a NKY fan who thinks football begins and ends there. I just think that while AA is still very good, it has lost four marquee programs in the last 10 years. (Mayfield, Danville, Boyle, Lex Cath) That kind of loss makes the field more wide open than ever but not as strong as it once was.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Westsider said it was a "combination" of three rating systems. If it is merely the Massey system then take that up with him. I was trusting that what he was sharing was what he said he was. :thumb:

If you look at those ratings then the top 9 in A are consistently a notch or so above the top 9 in AA by points on the most part. (i.e. 1 vs. 1, 2 vs. 2, etc.) Personally I think it's so close it would be hard to distinguish as one class being "hands down" superior to the other. (which is what Dino said in his first statement.0

For the record I'm far from a NKY fan who thinks football begins and ends there. I just think that while AA is still very good, it has lost four marquee programs in the last 10 years. (Mayfield, Danville, Boyle, Lex Cath) That kind of loss makes the field more wide open than ever but not as strong as it once was.

Good Post! :thumb:

Your argument is not going to hold water. Mayfield and Danville are exactly as you described, Mayfield & Graves County HS's Danville & Boyle Co HS's

Look again...I said MOST are rural based schools. Besides, Mayfield and Danville are anything but rural schools like what I was referring to, covering large areas. They are both independent systems drawing their students from a much smaller areas, as is Beechwood and private NCC. This is a huge advantage shared by these schools as well as by most of the top teams in AA (OC, Russell, Fort Campbell). Most A schools are small community schools as opposed to schools covering an entire county.

Ah, Dino, you might want to look at Westsider's post on the previous page. He shows the average of ratings from the top ratings systems in the state and while the ratings are close, Class A has higher ratings.

I would go with A for one other reason: When Danville and Mayfield were in AA they dominated the class (Danville in particular). Since being moved to A Mayfield is still a perennial contender and Danville has won 3 state titles since 2000.

That doesn't hold water based on the fact that the teams winning in AA now were all AAA then!

Interesting numbers, but they really don't mean that much because you can't generalize teams of an entire class. It's possible that the A teams are playing higher-level 3A teams than the 2A programs are, or vice versa. You have to have some controls established in a survey like that.

I do agree with some of what you are saying, but you make one good point hidden in your post! They must play the game before we will ever know any thing!

That doesn't hold water based on the fact that the teams winning in AA now were all AAA then!

:creepy: Kind of confused by what you mean here BJ.

If you are referring to Belfry and Russell I thought they had been in AA for a while now.

Russell has been in AA at least since '95 (that's as far back as KHSAA playoff records go online) and Belfry has been in AA since at least '99.

I thought the statement was for the last 10 to 15 years? Belfry has been in AA for over 1/3 of that time and Russell for at least 2/3.

:creepy: Kind of confused by what you mean here BJ.

If you are referring to Belfry and Russell I thought they had been in AA for a while now.

Russell has been in AA at least since '95 (that's as far back as KHSAA playoff records go online) and Belfry has been in AA since at least '99.

I thought the statement was for the last 10 to 15 years? Belfry has been in AA for over 1/3 of that time and Russell for at least 2/3.

I just don't understand how you can say A is better because of the fact that Danville and Mayfeild was in control of AA! During that period of time most of the recent AA winners were in AAA! It is hard to say that any class has been a power over the other based on the amount of movement in the different classes! A has changed so much in 10 to 15 years! Like wise with AA and AAA! I do feel as if AAAA may have less change than most, but I would have to researched that! All classes have changed so much! I wasn't trying to discredit you! I just think 10 or 15 years is a large period of time to compare!

Not that this means anything, but Mayfield and Danville aren't nearly "in control" of A as they were in 2A in the late 80s and early 90s.

What does that have to do with the teams that were in AAA! Danville has made more of a case than Mayfield! Plus look at the teams that weren't in AA at the time!

I just don't understand how you can say A is better because of the fact that Danville and Mayfeild was in control of AA! During that period of time most of the recent AA winners were in AAA! It is hard to say that any class has been a power over the other based on the amount of movement in the different classes! A has changed so much in 10 to 15 years! Like wise with AA and AAA! I do feel as if AAAA may have less change than most, but I would have to researched that! All classes have changed so much! I wasn't trying to discredit you! I just think 10 or 15 years is a large period of time to compare!

When Danville was dominant in AA (late 80s early 90s at their height) one of these recent AA champions (Belfry) that used to be in AAA didn't stand a chance against Danville (especially on a neutral/controlled field). I think the score in 1993 was 63-7. So, I think Hatz' point is valid. And, saying that Danville and Mayfield aren't as "in control" of A as they were in AA in the late 80s early 90s further proves his point. Beechwood and NCC make it tougher for Danville and Mayfield to win it every year. Hence, the competition must be greater in A.

When Danville was dominant in AA (late 80s early 90s at their height) one of these recent AA champions (Belfry) that used to be in AAA didn't stand a chance against Danville (especially on a neutral/controlled field). I think the score in 1993 was 63-7. So, I think Hatz' point is valid. And, saying that Danville and Mayfield aren't as "in control" of A as they were in AA in the late 80s early 90s further proves his point. Beechwood and NCC make it tougher for Danville and Mayfield to win it every year. Hence, the competition must be greater in A.

Very good point! I also remember Belfry going to a state game after a defeat of Danville while they were both 3A in the 80's!

You still have to qualify what we are talking about before you can make a case either way in this debate.

Are we comparing the top 5 from each class? Top 15? The whole class? It makes all the difference in the world. Anyone who argues the case without knowing that is going into battle unarmed, IMO.

We have an anomaly in this state where, IMO, at least half of the time the Class A winner has been stronger than the Class AA winner. But to say that the entire class is stronger because their winner is stronger is a huge miscue if you ask me. There is just nothing to suggest that would be true and it is an illogical conclusion to assume it so.