Man Robs Bank for $1 Just to Get Medical Care

I don't necessarily feel bad for the man either, because what he did was incredibly stupid.

So instead of being a "burden" on his family/friends, he's going to scare innocent people to death every time he gets released from jail until his medical problems are fixed? What if this doesn't work the next time? What will the next step be? Assault?

No one is suggesting that he was right to rob a bank. I'm not even suggesting Obamacare is the cure for all that ails. I'm just pointing out the issue, though some don't seem to think it is.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is suggesting that he was right to rob a bank. I'm not even suggesting Obamacare is the cure for all that ails. I'm just pointing out the issue, though some don't seem to think it is.

I'm not getting into the Obamacare debate. I'm simply saying that what he did was incredibly selfish, and stupid.

I am sure anyone who has ever looked at COBRA coverage due to a job change or job loss can see how this could possibly happen. I have no doubt there are thousands upon thousands of people who read this story and with empathy.

I'm getting ready to change jobs. I've already seen and decided that I'm going to have to risk it for 90 days. The cost of the COBRA is more than I pay in rent each month. :eek:

I'm getting ready to change jobs. I've already seen and decided that I'm going to have to risk it for 90 days. The cost of the COBRA is more than I pay in rent each month. :eek:

That is indeed very scary. Here is a recommendation. Go ahead and apply for COBRA but don't pay the premium. That will buy you a month or month and a half in case something happens during that time till the premium is due.

That is indeed very scary. Here is a recommendation. Go ahead and apply for COBRA but don't pay the premium. That will buy you a month or month and a half in case something happens during that time till the premium is due.
Isn't that fraud?

Isn't that fraud?

If you don't ever pay the premium, then you just decided not to take out the coverage. Or, put another way, you technically are not covered until you pay the premium. So you didn't "take" anything without paying. All you are doing is keeping the option open to get coverage for as long as possible. The insurance company sets that window of how long you have to decide when they tell you the deadline to pay the premium, which should be 1-1 1/2 months. I am saying apply for the coverage and keep your option to take out the coverage open as long as possible. Then if a serious health issue occurs in the month or so while you are deciding, then you can pay the premium and get coverage.

If you don't ever pay the premium, then you just decided not to take out the coverage. Or, put another way, you technically are not covered until you pay the premium. So you didn't "take" anything without paying. All you are doing is keeping the option open to get coverage for as long as possible. The insurance company sets that window of how long you have to decide when they tell you the deadline to pay the premium, which should be 1-1 1/2 months. I am saying apply for the coverage and keep your option to take out the coverage open as long as possible. Then if a serious health issue occurs in the month or so while you are deciding, then you can pay the premium and get coverage.

I get it. Sorry...I've been in putting together a binder of how to do everything I do for the last 2 days. I'm frazzled.

By choice I hope?

Oh yes. Absolutely. A huge change for me in a lot of ways. But relative to this thread, the cost of my medical/dental will decrease by approximately 55% + I get vision, which wasn't included before. There are other perks and some trade-offs, but again, keeping to the topic, I'm going to have a great benefits in about 113 days. :lol:

Oh yes. Absolutely. A huge change for me in a lot of ways. But relative to this thread, the cost of my medical/dental will decrease by approximately 55% + I get vision, which wasn't included before. There are other perks and some trade-offs, but again, keeping to the topic, I'm going to have a great benefits in about 113 days. :lol:

RM, you could get a short term Indiviudal policy in case something major was to happen to you. It wouldn't cover any preexisting conditions you might have but if something big was to happen, you would be covered from that.