Newport Central Catholic 13 Lawrence County 3

dd734

Interesting game. Cain had a shakey start--had trouble finding the plate. Shepard had command in 1st, but put a couple runners on base--one walk, one HBP (Cain)--neither team scored in 1st inning. Cain was a bit better in 2nd, although he was helped by NewCath's heads-up defense, who took advantage of poor base running by LC. He got out of the 2nd inning unscathed. Bottom of 2nd inning is when the game got interesting: storyline is the horrid umpiring. W/ Hightchew on 1B, pitcher throws over, ball gets away--Hightchew to 3B---on his way home when LC RF holds hands up, indicating that the ball was lodged in the tarp. Umps throw up hands---then kid (literally) picks up the ball as if it were laying on the ground. By then, Hightchew had scored. Umps convene--send him back to 3B. Next batter is Cain--Sheperd hits him in the hand on a high, inside smoker (87 mph). Ump says Cain swung at pitch and refuses to give him 1B. Cain could not finish his at-bat and never re-enters the game. Cain's replacement reaches 1B on a bang-bang infield hit. From there, the flood gates opened. NewCath scores 7 runs with 2 out in 2nd. Chandler Sheperd was knocked out of the game before he ever got out of the 2nd inning. Many other crazy umpire instances in this game--can't list them all. By the time LC got out of the 2nd inning, the game was 90 minute long. 6 inning game took 3 hrs 20 minutes. LC defense was horrible. NewCath gave them a beating.

Based on your description of what occurred, I'm not sure how this quite falls into the category of "horrid umpiring." Sounds like LC's pitcher was very wild, their defense was poor, their offense was practically nil, and NCC got some timely hits. A 13-3 run rule is kind of hard to pin on the umpires.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The announcers simply do not understand the rules. The hands are not part of the bat. If you get hit on the hand it's a HBP UNLESS they deem you to be swinging. It didn't look like he was swinging though.

God bless the young lady calling the game but ...wow. She said that in baseball and softball "most runs are scored with two outs."

One of the most - if not THE most - misunderstood rule in the game. Guarantee you take a survey of people who consider themselves baseball knowledgeable and 90% tell you that hands ARE part of the bat.

Bottom of 2nd inning is when the game got interesting: storyline is the horrid umpiring. W/ Hightchew on 1B, pitcher throws over, ball gets away--Hightchew to 3B---on his way home when LC RF holds hands up, indicating that the ball was lodged in the tarp. Umps throw up hands---then kid (literally) picks up the ball as if it were laying on the ground. By then, Hightchew had scored. Umps convene--send him back to 3B. Next batter is Cain--Sheperd hits him in the hand on a high, inside smoker (87 mph). Ump says Cain swung at pitch and refuses to give him 1B. Cain could not finish his at-bat and never re-enters the game. .

I think you are conflating innings.

Hightchew got hit in the 2nd inning. The next batter was Sullivan. Sullivan hit a ball to RF that scored 3 with the error on the RFer. Cain then got hit on the first pitch.

So what inning did the "hands up" happen?

So what inning did the "hands up" happen?

Is it possible you are confusing this play with another? In the 4th Brady Hightchew was on first and Sullivan hit a ball down the line that the umpires seemed to hesitate on calling fair or foul. They then got together after the LC coach said that the umpire raised his hands to indicate a foul ball. Runners returned. Batter went back to the plate where he then doubled.

Each IHigh broadcast I've listened to has been dreadful.

Wazoo Sports did the "A" State Tournament live from Whitaker Bank Field, providing great calls, insight, replays, camera work, etc..

Why in the world wouldn't the KHSAA bring them back to do the KHSAA State Tournament? I'm sure they could have gotten it sponsored up - or at least done the quarters, semis,and finals.

Yes Clyde, TOG was there and with his book, lol.

I agree with the comment about the umpiring! It looked like Cain POSSIBLY went into the pitch, at least that is what we were thinking were I was sititing, but there is no way that was a swing! I THOUGHT the "tarp play" was the 2nd inning, but heck that 1/2 inning was so long I don't remember, but as was mentioned as soon as he called time he had the ball in his hand seconds later. The Sullivan hit was a foul ball, that was odd, the ump at first just stood there and didn't say if was fair or foul. The plate ump finally stepped in and he did make the correct call! But why did the ump at 3rd feel the need to question the call?

Also, what was the deal with the LC 1st base coach and the NCC dugout?

Congrats NCC...for my money this school has something special going on athletically. They are good in every sport I can think of boys and girls. Decent academic reputation from what I have heard too. Congrats to Coach Schulkens (sp), AD Rob D, and Principal Noll.

I think TOG went to the game and I'm sure he had his book. I'll be curious to know how many pitches the kid threw in the 2nd inning.

You ask, you receive....23 in the 1st inning, 59 in the 2nd inning for a total of 82 pitches and from the Speed Gun on the score board at the ball park, the fastest pitch he threw was "89" and that was just one pitch, most were in the "84" range!