LexCath's biggest win ever?

jbwill2

For the LexCath fans, which win in your football program's history do you consider the "biggest?" Please feel free to interpret the word "biggest" in any way you want. I know that a few years ago, LexCath beat Saint X one year and beat Male in another year. Last year, they defeated the defending state champ Boyle County in a televised game. This year's games would include the win against CovCath, the win at defending champ HHS to claim their first regional title, and the win against RC, which put them in the finals.

Obviously, if LC wins tomorrow, that would be the biggest win.

From my HHS-biased perspective, I would have to think that the win against Highlands was their biggest to-date. Given that they had never beaten HHS before, that HHS was the defending state champ, that the game was in Fort Thomas, and that the win marked LC's first-ever regional championship, all this points to a VERY BIG win.

I'd say the Highlands win for the fact it was finally after 6 failures, our first regional championship. The Louisville Male a few years ago was huge at the time because we knocked off a defending 4A champ. In 15 years this program has definately beat some good teams but for now the Highlands win this year is biggest.

We grew up in northern Ky and went to the Catholic schools and we were always against Highlands so to see them beat HHS was like a win for all the aunts, uncles and cousins that went before. There was so many family members at that game and that made the win even better.

Rather than just the "biggest" win, how about....

"Sweetest".....Last year over Boyle County. They had been LexCath's biggest arch-rival.

It's a shame these two teams no longer meet unless in the State Championship.

Central Kentucky needs a 3A rivalry on par with the Highlands-CovCath rivalry.

"Biggest"...This year over Highlands. I have never bought the "failure or hump" theory when you are fighting Highlands, CovCath and Boyle for Regional honors. This region is the toughest road to the State Championship year-in, year-out, with the greatest success rate of state championships, so getting past this Regional is indeed big.

I firmly believed it was a matter of time for LexCath to win it, and for all the reasons jbwill2 gave on accompishing it over Highlands (adding on I grew up there) this team did it right.

"Greatest"...The win over nationally ranked Male in 2001. With 7:37 remaining, a monster storm hit while LexCath trailed on the scoreboard 21-18. Rather than conceding the game (as one other team had done 2 weeks before), Sphire held out for 2 hours for the restart. When play resumed, a total of 32 combined points were scored in that 7:37, with LexCath winning 38-33.

It was the type of game traditions are built on.

"Most Important"...Last week over Rockcastle. Lexington Catholic is going to State!

Go Knights...win State!

We grew up in northern Ky and went to the Catholic schools and we were always against Highlands so to see them beat HHS was like a win for all the aunts, uncles and cousins that went before. There was so many family members at that game and that made the win even better.
Don't for get your old buddies on the opposing side. ;):D

Besides, your family took up half the stands. :lol:

Winning their first state championship has to be the biggest and\or most significant. But their win in 96 vs. Beechwood was the first win vs. a dominant program and made a statement that they were ready to take the journey towards being a state championship quality program.

I remember a game way back in 2000 during the second round of the 2A playoffs when LexCath had to travel all the way up to Flatwoods and take on a very rough, tough, down right ornery Russell team. It was cold, rainy, muddy, sloppy field, hostile, packed crowd and they were playing a very, very good football team with an outstanding coaching staff who was also trying to take a big step that year for their football team. That game came down to a last second, 4th down pass in overtime to win it, 26-20, for LexCath and to march on with a battle with Boyle County in one of the best high schools games ever. Boyle-18, LexCath-16.