NFL Draft Round 1 Updates...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They supposedly are in love with Dalton or at least Gruden is. Most teams will move back.

They still might get Dalton. I know the pain of the trades the Bengals didn't make are still there, however just cause you can make a trade it doesn't mean its for the best move of the team. They got a guy who many people think is one of the best to come out since Calvin Johnson. So this helps out at receiver especially considering three of their top 4 receivers are in their last years of their contracts. So that needed to be addressed, and it was. They still very well could get their QB in Dalton in the 2nd round still now too. Not to mention this gives them even more reason to trade Chad, and they can do that starting tomorrow to try to get another draft pick. By not making the trade, they are able to follow a plan that looks pretty good right now.

By the way if I was the Bengals I would be trying to trade for one the Pats 2nd round pick which is 33rd I believe. I would try to trade Chad, and say a fifth round pick or something like that for the pick. Then draft Dalton, then hopefully Bowers is still there for the 35th pick.

They still might get Dalton. I know the pain of the trades the Bengals didn't make are still there, however just cause you can make a trade it doesn't mean its for the best move of the team. They got a guy who many people think is one of the best to come out since Calvin Johnson. So this helps out at receiver especially considering three of their top 4 receivers are in their last years of their contracts. So that needed to be addressed, and it was. They still very well could get their QB in Dalton in the 2nd round still now too. Not to mention this gives them even more reason to trade Chad, and they can do that starting tomorrow to try to get another draft pick. By not making the trade, they are able to follow a plan that looks pretty good right now.

By the way if I was the Bengals I would be trying to trade for one the Pats 2nd round pick which is 33rd I believe. I would try to trade Chad, and say a fifth round pick or something like that for the pick. Then draft Dalton, then hopefully Bowers is still there for the 35th pick.

I didn't see WR's or TE's as a weakness for the Bengals coming into the draft. They used a 1st and 3rd on pass catchers last year. They used a 3rd the year before on a pass catching TE and they have Caldwell, Simpson and Ocho. I like Green. I think he'll be a good pick. I would have taken 5 picks for AJ Green though. The draft is a crap shoot. I'd rather have more chances to hit my number.

I wouldn't take Dalton if I was them either. That gives Palmer all the leverage.

I didn't see WR's or TE's as a weakness for the Bengals coming into the draft. They used a 1st and 3rd on pass catchers last year. They used a 3rd the year before on a pass catching TE and they have Caldwell, Simpson and Ocho. I like Green. I think he'll be a good pick. I would have taken 5 picks for AJ Green though. The draft is a crap shoot. I'd rather have more chances to hit my number.

I wouldn't take Dalton if I was them either. That gives Palmer all the leverage.

Those three guys you said Caldwell, Simpson, and Ocho are all on their last years of their contracts. Ocho being one that they probably want gone before this season. So WR is a need, and now is a position where in future drafts we don't need to use high picks on again for a long while. Also how does drafting Dalton give Palmer all the leverage? He would be in the 2nd round, his contract won't be a huge ridiculous contract like a top 10 QB would have. I mean even if Palmer never said he wanted to be traded, they probably this year still would take a QB early in the draft. The Palmer situation IMO has not effected what they would have done IMO. The only way it would have changed things and gave Palmer the leverage was if they drafted a QB with that 4th pick.

Also their best chance at getting Palmer back probably was getting Green too. Palmer talks about how he wants a fresh start, well that is basically what he would have on the offensive side of the ball if he came back.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110428/COL03/304280065/Green-talent-who-s-going-throw-him

The best teams are built inside-out. This isn’t a concept the Bengals have embraced. Mike Brown likes taking “skill’’ position players. Since 1999, the Bengals have drafted in the first round two quarterbacks, two cornerbacks, two wideouts, a halfback and a tight end.

No defensive linemen. No speed-rushing defensive ends. Only two offensive linemen, and one of those was Andre Smith.

And today, they have another bright, shiny new wideout who “makes circus catches look easy,’’ Gruden said.

Those three guys you said Caldwell, Simpson, and Ocho are all on their last years of their contracts. Ocho being one that they probably want gone before this season. So WR is a need, and now is a position where in future drafts we don't need to use high picks on again for a long while. Also how does drafting Dalton give Palmer all the leverage? He would be in the 2nd round, his contract won't be a huge ridiculous contract like a top 10 QB would have. I mean even if Palmer never said he wanted to be traded, they probably this year still would take a QB early in the draft. The Palmer situation IMO has not effected what they would have done IMO. The only way it would have changed things and gave Palmer the leverage was if they drafted a QB with that 4th pick.

Also their best chance at getting Palmer back probably was getting Green too. Palmer talks about how he wants a fresh start, well that is basically what he would have on the offensive side of the ball if he came back.

Who's going to throw to Green to make the pick worth it?

Teams with very good QB's draft a line to build around him and keep him healthy. How many WR's drafted in the top 5 have ever won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years? You don't think Carson sees that? How many pass catchers have the Bengals drafted in the first 3 rounds lately? They also signed TO and Coles. Andre Smith is a predictable bust. You need strong lines on both sides of the ball. That's how you win. Adding 5 picks and trading back was the smart move. Brown isn't smart. End of story.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110428/COL03/304280065/Green-talent-who-s-going-throw-him

The best teams are built inside-out. This isn’t a concept the Bengals have embraced. Mike Brown likes taking “skill’’ position players. Since 1999, the Bengals have drafted in the first round two quarterbacks, two cornerbacks, two wideouts, a halfback and a tight end.

No defensive linemen. No speed-rushing defensive ends. Only two offensive linemen, and one of those was Andre Smith.

And today, they have another bright, shiny new wideout who “makes circus catches look easy,’’ Gruden said.

Showing a column someone writes is suppose to show you were right? He is no more right or wrong on this than you or me. There are times when not making the trade is the better choice, and this time for once I think they made the right choice not to make the trade. Only time will tell when it comes to if they made the right choice.

I read this story about an hour ago, and he can't even get his facts right. It kind of takes away with what he is trying to say if he can't even present the facts right. He says they have not drafted any defensive lineman in the 1st round since 1999. When that is not even true, they drafted Justin Smith with the same #4 pick in the 2001 draft. Actually technically they drafted another defensive lineman in the 1st round in 2005 in Pollack. He was a defensive lineman, they just decided to play him at linebacker though.

If they take Dalton Carson has the leverage b/c he can hold out until the season starts while demanding a trade. If it's not granted come back the day before the season starts out of shape and start collecting checks. If Brown is going to be stubborn about dealing him that's his way of being stubborn back. I'm not saying he would do it, but to say he doesn't have leverage if they draft Dalton or bring in a FA is crazy.

Showing a column someone writes is suppose to show you were right? He is no more right or wrong on this than you or me. There are times when not making the trade is the better choice, and this time for once I think they made the right choice not to make the trade. Only time will tell when it comes to if they made the right choice.

I read this story about an hour ago, and he can't even get his facts right. It kind of takes away with what he is trying to say if he can't even present the facts right. He says they have not drafted any defensive lineman in the 1st round since 1999. When that is not even true, they drafted Justin Smith with the same #4 pick in the 2001 draft. Actually technically they drafted another defensive lineman in the 1st round in 2005 in Pollack. He was a defensive lineman, they just decided to play him at linebacker though.

How did I say I was right because of the column? I was just showing people the column.

Who's going to throw to Green to make the pick worth it?

Teams with very good QB's draft a line to build around him and keep him healthy. How many WR's drafted in the top 5 have ever won a Super Bowl in the last 20 years? You don't think Carson sees that? How many pass catchers have the Bengals drafted in the first 3 rounds lately? They also signed TO and Coles. Andre Smith is a predictable bust. You need strong lines on both sides of the ball. That's how you win. Adding 5 picks and trading back was the smart move. Brown isn't smart. End of story.

So you talk about how the Bengals draft bust like Andre Smith, yet you want them to have more draft picks where they can mess up? At least in this case they got a guy that everyone considers to be the best offensive player in the draft. So at least if this does not work, it can't be blamed on scouting because everyone thinks this. Its funny how people put down the Bengals and their scouting and how they don't draft the right guys, but you trust them to do it with more picks and guys who might be a reach to do well?

Also its a little to early for people to say who is going to throw them the ball. This draft is not over with, the free agency period has yet to begin. Also still always a possibility for a trade, so whats the point in talking about that. We are not in their War Room, so we have no idea what plan they have in mind. You would think they have some kind of plan to have someone to throw these guy the ball.

How did I say I was right because of the column? I was just showing people the column.

You talked about the same stuff he said in the post right before it, and then you post it. I think that is trying to show people that you are right, especially when you only posted part of it haha.

If they take Dalton Carson has the leverage b/c he can hold out until the season starts while demanding a trade. If it's not granted come back the day before the season starts out of shape and start collecting checks. If Brown is going to be stubborn about dealing him that's his way of being stubborn back. I'm not saying he would do it, but to say he doesn't have leverage if they draft Dalton or bring in a FA is crazy.

The Bengals no matter what were probably going to draft a QB this year, so that has nothing to do with giving Palmer leverage. Also the Bengals no matter what has to either draft one or get a free agent. They can do this, and still try to get Palmer back. If they don't do these things it does give Palmer the leverage because they will have to try to trade him then. If they do these things, they can afford to try to call his bluff.

So you talk about how the Bengals draft bust like Andre Smith, yet you want them to have more draft picks where they can mess up? At least in this case they got a guy that everyone considers to be the best offensive player in the draft. So at least if this does not work, it can't be blamed on scouting because everyone thinks this. Its funny how people put down the Bengals and their scouting and how they don't draft the right guys, but you trust them to do it with more picks and guys who might be a reach to do well?

Also its a little to early for people to say who is going to throw them the ball. This draft is not over with, the free agency period has yet to begin. Also still always a possibility for a trade, so whats the point in talking about that. We are not in their War Room, so we have no idea what plan they have in mind. You would think they have some kind of plan to have someone to throw these guy the ball.

My thinking is if they are going to get about half of their picks right or even a little less than that they are better off having more picks than just one. If Green misses they are hurt badly. If they get the 27th pick and 4 additional picks it gives them a chance to get lucky more than once including two first rounders next year. They have a lot more holes than just WR.

And MB being MB will fine Carson the max for every day he misses camp. Carson doesn't have the leverage either way the Bengals go with the draft.