Walton-Verona at Owen Co.

This game should be a very interesting rematch of the early season tilt between two strong "A" schools - heck, two 8th region contenders. I doubt seriously that W-V will have its way with the Lady Rebs as it did in the first game. Expect a nail-biter of a game featuring two focused teams looking to take a big step toward the post-season. It's almost too close to call, but I'm giving a slight edge to Owen Co. this time around. It should be a "don't-want-to-miss-it" type of game.

Edited by retropop
typos

Walton may come into the game a little deflated after a tough loss in the All A and not practicing much in the last week. Don't know how focused they will be but I think they have more talent and depth that will lead them to a close win.

Walton by 12. Owen does not have enough scorers. Walton will focus on taking the ball out of Gayheart's hands and force others to make plays. If Gayheart does not put up 20+ points it could get ugly again.

I've seen Owen play more than a few times, and I disagree. I think the very thing that makes Owen a much better team than last year is the fact that they've developed additional scorers. Gayheart has become the complete package, and her passing skills are as impressive as her shooting skills. She's not just scoring now, she's making her team a lot better. She does a remarkable job of finding Neeley on the wings - a dead-eye shooter - Waldrop on the baseline, and Toole inside. You have to guard the entire team to stop Owen's offense.

In Owen's win at Anderson, I think Gayheart only had 8 points...beating the defending champs on their own court when your star player scores just 8 points is pretty impressive.

I've also been impressed by Owen's ability to create a transition game; I felt they were pretty much a half-court only team last year.

If there's a definitive Owen weakness, it's their lack of depth... that bench is extremely young.

Now - can they beat Walton? I think the answer is yes. Will they? Another question altogether. Two good teams...

Walton by 12. Owen does not have enough scorers. Walton will focus on taking the ball out of Gayheart's hands and force others to make plays. If Gayheart does not put up 20+ points it could get ugly again.
I agree Walton did a good job last time of running a second defender at her when she brought the ball past half court. It looked like she felt like she had to get rid of the ball and when she did she usually didn't get it back because it was turned over or bad shot selection. If she decides to beat the pressure out front this time (which she can) instead of giving it up she could have a big night.

And the results are in Owen 63 WV 38. Owen played a complete game. Tough defense, mixing it up and excellent ball movement, making that extra 2 or 3 passes and getting good looks. Owen is coming on strong the last few games.