Lexington Catholic 46 Tates Creek 45

Final from Tates Creek High School.

Story of the game: Tates Creek gets jobbed in their own gym. This is from someone who hardly ever critiques the officials, but tonight, it was just blatant and obvious on the part of one official. Anyone familiar with the 11th could probably throw out a 'wild guess' at who the one in question is.

I was not there, but just out of curiosity, how many missed free throws, layups, or turnovers did creek have? Not many games are ever decided by one call or series of calls despite what we as fans like to think. Coaches know this and talk about it often. I think even Calipari said it last year after a tough lost that could have went either way on a few foul calls. Mitchell was quoted as saying it this year when they lost to Duke.

I was not there, but just out of curiosity, how many missed free throws, layups, or turnovers did creek have? Not many games are ever decided by one call or series of calls despite what we as fans like to think. Coaches know this and talk about it often. I think even Calipari said it last year after a tough lost that could have went either way on a few foul calls. Mitchell was quoted as saying it this year when they lost to Duke.

Obviously neither team played perfectly, they are each two of the top teams in the state. I didn't keep any stats during the game, but I can tell you that this one ranks up there with the '99 Scott Co / Paducah Tilghman semi. I'm not a fan of either school. I didn't grow up in the 11th, and I don't have a team in the 11th. I just like watching good basketball; unfortunately, I wouldn't have that opportunity tonight.

I'm not arguing with your point that there aren't many of these games, nowhere nearly as many as people would like to think. But in my honest opinion, tonight was one of them.

Story of the game: Tates Creek gets jobbed in their own gym. This is from someone who hardly ever critiques the officials, but tonight, it was just blatant and obvious on the part of one official. Anyone familiar with the 11th could probably throw out a 'wild guess' at who the one in question is.

Can you give us an example of the type of call that were being made?

Can you give us an example of the type of call that were being made?

Do you mean calls or lack thereof, because I was referring to both. A bad call here and there is one thing, but this was a little more than that. Anyone whose seen this ref operate knows that he isn't stupid enough to let lots of atrocious misdeeds go uncalled, what's tough to overcome is the fact that you're playing a quality team that benefits from his many questionable and/or benefit of the doubt calls.

Heard a friend of mine who was at the game say the exact same thing. He was as neutral of a fan as anyone who was in the gym.

My thinking also. I wasn't there either but when the opportunity is there whether it be free throws, layups, turnovers etc etc no matter how bad the refs were you can't blame them. That has always been a cop out to me. Especially in 1 point games. You lose by 1 point you can pretty much guarantee it wasn't the refs fault. They are doing the best they can just like the boys on the court are. Like Pops from Friday said.....you win some, you lose some, but you live to see another day......or something to that effect.:D

I am not familiar with 11th region districts. Was this game a district game and who shares the district with LexCath?

I am not familiar with 11th region districts. Was this game a district game and who shares the district with LexCath?

This was a district game. Tates Creek won first matchup this season at LC. If Tates Creek would of won this game would have pretty much clinched 1 seed. Other teams in district are Lafayette, Lexington Christian, and Dunbar.

My thinking also. I wasn't there either but when the opportunity is there whether it be free throws, layups, turnovers etc etc no matter how bad the refs were you can't blame them. That has always been a cop out to me. Especially in 1 point games. You lose by 1 point you can pretty much guarantee it wasn't the refs fault. They are doing the best they can just like the boys on the court are. Like Pops from Friday said.....you win some, you lose some, but you live to see another day......or something to that effect.:D

The 1972 game between the Soviet Union and the United States was a 'cop out' then? If memory serves me correctly, that was a 1 point game with the final being 51-50.

BTW, are there records of a team playing a game with no turnovers, missed free throws, etc.? I thought this was part of the game, especially when two good teams play in a competitive game.

Do you mean calls or lack thereof, because I was referring to both. A bad call here and there is one thing, but this was a little more than that. Anyone whose seen this ref operate knows that he isn't stupid enough to let lots of atrocious misdeeds go uncalled, what's tough to overcome is the fact that you're playing a quality team that benefits from his many questionable and/or benefit of the doubt calls.

I meant both - so far you haven't given any particular details. Just vague generalities.

All I know is that my son played three years of varsity ball and the one game that stands out in my mind for absolutely horriffic officiatiing was a game at Lex Cath that his team actually won so I think there are certainly some issues related to Lex Cath and certain officials for reasons I am unaware of.

The 1972 game between the Soviet Union and the United States was a 'cop out' then? If memory serves me correctly, that was a 1 point game with the final being 51-50.

BTW, are there records of a team playing a game with no turnovers, missed free throws, etc.? I thought this was part of the game, especially when two good teams play in a competitive game.

Seeing how the US had been far superior to the Soviet Union in basketball we shouldn't have been that close to them in the first place.

Don't know about records of stats but if you lose by a point and go 7-10 from the free throw I can't blame the refs. Only guaranteed uncontested shot in basketball. Make your free throws.

In every game especially in high school there are multiple slip ups and brain fart type of plays on the court. Those aren't the refs fault.

No matter how bad the refs may be or even if they show bias as some claim they do toward LexCath I cannot blame the refs if we aren't doing what we are supposed to be doing. That is just how I am.