8th Region Stretch Drive

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walton is right there with South Oldham especially since Walton has beaten South Oldham.
Of course all of this "talk" is just January chatter, but let's open up this can of worms, shall we?

"Right there with South Oldham?" Since W-V has beaten them, what prevents them from being ahead of them? Shouldn't head-to-head comparisons matter, even if it was a thin margin of victory? Just a thought.

Of course all of this "talk" is just January chatter, but let's open up this can of worms, shall we?

"Right there with South Oldham?" Since W-V has beaten them, what prevents them from being ahead of them? Shouldn't head-to-head comparisons matter, even if it was a thin margin of victory? Just a thought.

Based on the game the two played, it could be argued that picking either W-V or South above the other is heavily debatable. W-V won on their own floor thanks to a somewhat controversial call that enabled them to wipe out a 4 point South lead in the final 15 seconds of the game. Whether the call was correct or not is irrelevant; W-V earned the win. So - if you choose one team simply because they won the head-to-head game, you have to pick W-V. But many observers go by the "rule" that you must win by, say, 3 points, in a win at home to claim the edge, and would argue that - on a neutral court - that gives South the advantage.

So I would say picking W-V over South - or vice-versa - needs more backing than just the game the two have played so far... I think that game was "inconclusive" - which should make us all salivate over the prospects of the two meeting again!

Honestly, I think the differences between the primary contenders is so tiny that you can make a valid argument for them in any 1-2-3 order you so desire...

There was such a fluke ending to that game that WV won that I think we have to throw it out. Yes they won by the final score but there were several calls that would have not happened with a better crew of ref's calling the game IMO. WV has a very nice team but I would have to put SO ahead based on strength of schedule. I give WV the nod over Anderson though. They did not impress me at all against SO on Friday night.

The emergence of Emily Housley at South as a major contributor on the offensive end is - IMO - elevating South to the role of favorite. They've always had Whitfield, who does so much so well, and Mary Dye, who's become an extremely versatile center, averaging nearly a double-double. But Housley's emergence as a third scoring threat has taken South to a new gear. Dramatic wins over Owen (on the road by 15) and at home against defending champ Anderson were eye-openers, in particular how South scored (67 points vs. Owen, over 70 vs. Anderson).

Coupled with Frank Wright's usual tough South defense, and I think the region target has shifted from Lawrenceburg to Crestwood.

Make no mistake, however, this region remains wide open. Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona, Anderson County, Owen County - there are plenty of contenders for the throne!

This season is heading toward the finish line with several teams sprinting neck-and-neck down the final stretch, so this "horse race" may end up a photo finish! And what interesting events continue to unfold! It's reasonable to believe that any/every team might hiccup or stub its toe, and if/when it happens it is not time to write the team off. Conversely, a big win or two now doesn't necessarily translate into cutting down the Gallatin Co. nets in a few weeks. But one thing IS certain, though, and that is that this season has been a great one for 8th region girls' basketball fans - and the remainder promises to be more of the same. Thanks, to the ladies who are playing and their coaches for a great ride so far.

I really thought it was a two horse race going into the season with Anderson the fave followed by WV. I believe now that it is the most wide open region in the last 5 years. South is likely the favorite but Owen has come charging to the front. SK is playing much better as Stowers has the freshman class starting to play the defensive system there. Should be a fun tourney...at Gallatin?

I really thought it was a two horse race going into the season with Anderson the fave followed by WV. I believe now that it is the most wide open region in the last 5 years. South is likely the favorite but Owen has come charging to the front. SK is playing much better as Stowers has the freshman class starting to play the defensive system there. Should be a fun tourney...at Gallatin?

I really like what I'm seeing in Owenton. They are not the favorite, IMO, but they have certainly played well enough against top caliber teams to make the case that they will be reckoned with and it wouldn't be a huge upset if they won the school's first-ever 8th region title.

The region is at Gallatin County, and I urge everyone to pack the place for the ladies. This will be FUN, folks! South, Anderson, Walton-Verona, Owen, Simon Kenton - all five of those should make it and will be the ones favored by most observers. But Gallatin is playing AWFULLY well right now, Carroll County has a scoring machine in Hannah Devine, Oldham County's racehorses force you to hit baskets and keep up with them, and no game will be a gimme! If your favorite team overlooks someone, they likely will go home early!

For those who cannot attend...Pegasus Sports will cover (as we always do) each and every game, both live and as an archive. http://www.pegasussportsky.com