Somerset 26 Paintsville 12

black wire

I would have to agree with NBN on last night's game and his take on the upcoming game between Somerset and NCC...

Thank you Coach Bill Mike Runyon, Thank you Seniors, and Thank you Paintsville Tiger Football team on a wonderfully memorable season jam packed with accomplishments, huge excitement to build upon, and additional credits to add the list of Tiger Football Tradition! I look forward to basketball and baseball and then FOOTBALL AGAIN!

Go Big Blue!!!

Why was Shane Cantrell tossed from the game on friday night. Great season for the Tigers and good luck next year. Now its time to put up the pig skin and bring out the orange leather for a while.

He allegedly threw a punch in the 3rd quarter after a PAT. :rolleyes:

The Tigers pass defense was great holding the Jumpers to 69 yds passing. The problem was as usual the run defense. From in the stands it seems to me the LB's were to slow to make any plays for minimal yards. The secondary was having to make the majority of the tackles as usual.

Good season Paintsville!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The Tigers pass defense was great holding the Jumpers to 69 yds passing. The problem was as usual the run defense. From in the stands it seems to me the LB's were to slow to make any plays for minimal yards. The secondary was having to make the majority of the tackles as usual.

Good season Paintsville!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I don't know what game you were at? The linebackers played well all night long, with the exception of the 1st quarter and from where I stood that was due to the d-lineman getting blown off the ball, getting in the linebackers path. How many rushing yards did they give up?? I know Newell exploded in the first for some yardage but after that I don't remember too many yards on the ground after the 1st period, with the rest of his yardage coming from the outside. Secondary is suppose to make tackles when a team runs outside if the DE's get sucked in or blocked. The pass defense wasn't exceptional either they had a letdown resulting in a TD. The defense isn't what killed the Tigers, it was the offense. Go watch the film, you'll see all of these accounts. The offense sputtered all night with the bright spot being the big guys Williams and Ward. Pugh threw for 2 Ints. one of which was returned for a TD and then a blocked field goal returned to the Paintsville 1. An offense like Somerset, it's hard to make a goal line stand from the one. Paintsville's defense gave up 21 and if you don't count the Somerset possession starting at the one they gave up 14. The Tigers offense put up 12. I was impressed with the Tiger defense overall, as most expected the high-powered Jumper offense to explode and it didn't happen.

He allegedly threw a punch in the 3rd quarter after a PAT. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: is right.

#25 from somerset was the one causing the problems.

The referees should have kept their eyes peeled a little better, we were 80 yards away and could clearly see the altercation, no punch was thrown and no one deserved to the ejected.

Good job somerset, one more step to your dream.

Great season paintsville.

:rolleyes: is right.

#25 from somerset was the one causing the problems.

The referees should have kept their eyes peeled a little better, we were 80 yards away and could clearly see the altercation, no punch was thrown and no one deserved to the ejected.

Good job somerset, one more step to your dream.

Great season paintsville.

#25 isn't on the PAT team, if you are referring to him causing problems in the altercation. It was between #9 of Somerset, and Cantrell of Paintsville... Cantrell threw more than one punch, and after 9 made the block, Cantrell kept hitting him. The scuffle went to the ground and the Somerset player put his hands over his head showing that he wasn't initiating the problem. I don't remember Cantrell getting a first personal foul, and if he didn't, I agree that he shouldn't have been ejected from the game, but the scuffle was clearly his fault. I was in the Somerset endzone.

#25 isn't on the PAT team, if you are referring to him causing problems in the altercation. It was between #9 of Somerset, and Cantrell of Paintsville... Cantrell threw more than one punch, and after 9 made the block, Cantrell kept hitting him. The scuffle went to the ground and the Somerset player put his hands over his head showing that he wasn't initiating the problem. I don't remember Cantrell getting a first personal foul, and if he didn't, I agree that he shouldn't have been ejected from the game, but the scuffle was clearly his fault. I was in the Somerset endzone.

Second man always gets caught, that's just about a given in any situation. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, it definitely wasn't an altercation of any sort. Both were guilty of the infraction, which was within 20 yards of the scuffle. Players get locked up and struggle, it happens in any sport and any level. I'm not saying there shouldn't have been flags thrown. Maybe Cantrell did something I didn't see.

Second man always gets caught, that's just about a given in any situation. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, it definitely wasn't an altercation of any sort. Both were guilty of the infraction, which was within 20 yards of the scuffle. Players get locked up and struggle, it happens in any sport and any level. I'm not saying there shouldn't have been flags thrown. Maybe Cantrell did something I didn't see.

I agree. There are a million and one emotions going through a players head in football games, and sometimes when mixed with adrenaline you get these little scuffles. I think the flag was the correct call, but the ejection was not. Teams from this area typically don't see referees from NKY until the playoffs, and up there, they call a whole different ballgame. Somerset should definitely be able to attest to that after the Paintsville football game. These guys will call anything and everything, and won't hesitate to throw players out of games. Personally, I'm a "let the players play the game" kind of guy. I hope Cantrell wasn't a senior. That would be a terrible way, and a terrible call to end your career on.

I don't know what game you were at? The linebackers played well all night long, with the exception of the 1st quarter and from where I stood that was due to the d-lineman getting blown off the ball, getting in the linebackers path. How many rushing yards did they give up??

Well Mojo Newell had 125 yards and the others had somewhere around 40 apiece. It is a good thing that Somerset played in to the Tigers hand by trying to throw. Newell could get around 7-10 yds everytime he touched it. Take a look at all the games the games the Tigers have lost JCHS, Pikeville and Somerset. In all of these games we haven't had a good run defense! I am not saying the linemen weren't getting in the LB's path but a good LB has to fight through it!

I don't know what game you were at? The linebackers played well all night long, with the exception of the 1st quarter and from where I stood that was due to the d-lineman getting blown off the ball, getting in the linebackers path. How many rushing yards did they give up??

Well Mojo Newell had 125 yards and the others had somewhere around 40 apiece. It is a good thing that Somerset played in to the Tigers hand by trying to throw. Newell could get around 7-10 yds everytime he touched it. Take a look at all the games the games the Tigers have lost JCHS, Pikeville and Somerset. In all of these games we haven't had a good run defense! I am not saying the linemen weren't getting in the LB's path but a good LB has to fight through it!

I'm not arguing with you we support the same cause, Somerset went to the pass in my opinion due to Paintsville stopping the running game after the first quarter. Newell had I think 105 at the half. The LB's didn't show up to play against Pikeville. The other two have premiere backs in Eastern KY. No body but Madison Southern actually held Blume under 100 yards. Most of Blume's yardage came on the outside. Newell is a fast back as well, he broke the one up the middle for a TD and ran outside most of the night after that. You're not going to run these guys down on an outside sweep unless they cut back or you're a D1 linebacker. The 5-2 defense Paintsville was in limits the range of the LB's and the DE's have to make those plays on the edge to cut the run back into the LB's. If your own d-lineman is in your face or in your path I guess you're suppose to fight through the blocker and your teammate right?? I guess you could do that take out the blocker and your lineman resulting in just taking yourself out of the play or get in pursuit angle get downfield and try to make a play. Heck that's 2 blockers and your teammate you have to fight off of to make a play?? Defensive lineman's job is to create havoc, demand a double team and keep blockers off of the LB's so they can roam to make plays. My only point is the run defense impressed me just as much as the pass defense. I think the entire defensive unit needs patted on the back for this game, heck the team does for whole season. If you're going to pinpoint the weakness and the cause of a loss in this one it was the offense. Paintsville's defense forced them to punt numerous times and created a couple of turnovers. Somerset converted Paintsville's turnovers into points, Paintsville didn't do the same with Somerset's turnovers. That was key to this game. I don't think anyone deserves the blame for the loss, things happen, these are only kids, they're going to make mistakes, they all played their guts out and the Somerset players will even tell you that. They played the best they could, I was impressed by the defense and proud of all of them.

If the comment was made about the Pikeville or Evarts game because they didn't play well, they were arm tackling and not making plays when in the position to do so. I call them like I see them, if I would have seen LB's play bad I'd tell you about it but I didn't see it this past Friday.