Question for X fans and faithful

CentreRocks I am not saying St. Xavier does not also encourage the best athletes from all over to come to their school, it is just another area that Trinity is doing better at than St. Xavier. It is not just the coach's although who aid in this effort. It is the total communities of each program and the programs' success that aids in this area. It is one of the reasons St. Xavier and especially Trinity has done to distance themselves from other Jefferson County schools. With arguably some of the best talent in Jefferson County schools this year, St. Xavier nor Trinity in the end were even closely contested. St. Xavier as well as Trinity is open to all as I think you and I can both agree, but more than ever on both teams athletes from the other than traditional CSAA route to the schools is contributing greater and greater to the programs. Nothing wrong with this, it is just a changing demographic that I feel is improving both football teams and keeping them ahead of the competition.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CentreRocks I am not saying St. Xavier does not also encourage the best athletes from all over to come to their school, it is just another area that Trinity is doing better at than St. Xavier. It is not just the coach's although who aid in this effort. It is the total communities of each program and the programs' success that aids in this area. It is one of the reasons St. Xavier and especially Trinity has done to distance themselves from other Jefferson County schools. With arguably some of the best talent in Jefferson County schools this year, St. Xavier nor Trinity in the end were even closely contested. St. Xavier as well as Trinity is open to all as I think you and I can both agree, but more than ever on both teams athletes from the other than traditional CSAA route to the schools is contributing greater and greater to the programs. Nothing wrong with this, it is just a changing demographic that I feel is improving both football teams and keeping them ahead of the competition.

Well said Alan60! What alumni from both schools and people in the community have to understand is the demographic in Louisville has changed since the 70's and 80' when T and X were 99% catholic (Just a guess). The economy, increasing tuition cost at the grade school and high school levels have reduced the number of boy's to draw from during the 2000's. Just look at the number of Catholic parishes which have combined with other parishes in the community. It's simple math. Bottom line is if a non-catholic student wants to go to T or X to play football, basketball, baseball etc., good for them. When they graduate, they will be a better person for our community. Isn't that what we want? I personally know kids who attended both school that told me they didn't really understand the true brotherhood that exist within, until they became seniors and/or returned after graduating for various events. This in know way is a dig at the publics...and I mean no disrespect to anyone's Alma Matter. I'm just stating the facts. Why do you think the alumni base is so strong at both schools. Those who might disagree with my assessment, have never been in the halls of of both schools. Let's move on... the Rocks have a game with Ryle on Friday! Well it's time to get off my soap box. GO ROCKS! #20!

Very good points about he change in demographics for various reasons, for whatever reason Trinity has won the battle of talent lately. Glaser can and will win again, how soon you all forget last year. Prior to that Trinity made one or two plays and X didn't to win games over X from 2000-2008. Bottom line, you must make plays to win and Beatty's teams have done it more frequently.

As the numbers in the Catholic grade schools continue to drop, the private high school demographics are definitely changing to fill the open spots.

We can agree on something. If you look at the Catholic grade school population in the Louisville, it will fall over the next few years. Trinity and St X will either attract students from non Catholic schools or they will get smaller - maybe a little of both.

Bottom line is if a non-catholic student wants to go to T or X to play football, basketball, baseball etc., good for them. When they graduate, they will be a better person for our community. Isn't that what we want?... This in no way is a dig at the publics...and I mean no disrespect to anyone's Alma Matter. I'm just stating the facts. Why do you think the alumni base is so strong at both schools. Those who might disagree with my assessment, have never been in the halls of of both schools. Let's move on... the Rocks have a game with Ryle on Friday! Well it's time to get off my soap box. GO ROCKS! #20!

That type of snobbiness and belief is driving the separation between public and privates. I am all for Go Tigers and go Rocks but you used the term "better". It comes off as an elitist.There are "better" people in every school. I would submit Nicole Scherzinger, Manual graduate, lead singer from the Pussycat Dolls and winner of Dancing with the Stars is better in her field than most every Trinity and St X grad.

That type of snobbiness and belief is driving the separation between public and privates. I am all for Go Tigers and go Rocks but you used the term "better". It comes off as an elitist.There are "better" people in every school. I would submit Nicole Scherzinger, Manual graduate, lead singer from the Pussycat Dolls and winner of Dancing with the Stars is better in her field than most every Trinity and St X grad.

Leave it to you JR to put that type of spin on it. Touche'. Can't argue with such logic.

To me, the biggest difference in the coaching relates to the offense that Beatty brings to Trinity. Beatty may, I believe, call the West Coast offense a “pass/choice(?)” offense. It is a complex pro-like offense that tries to create mis-matches. It is important for the quarterback to know when to throw the ball. What the receiver does depends significantly on how the defense sets up. Hardly any high school team runs it so it’s hard for the defense to prepare for it.

St. X didn’t seem to have the big offensive line this year that they sometime have. This may be crucial for St. X to be successful the type of team St. X has. I believe, though, in the not too distant past I've heard Glaser quote Woody Hayes "Three things can happen when you throw the football, and two of them are bad." Too, they had less depth on defense on more players played both ways than they ever have in a long while.

Some fault Beatty’s lack of people skills. As a coach, Beatty seems to adapt and learn well during the course of the season. Trinity seems to play their best in big games.

It’s hard to argue with the amount of wins St. X has had over the years, yet it interesting to imagine what might be with the resources St. X has.

Leave it to you JR to put that type of spin on it. Touche'. Can't argue with such logic.

Just thinking that "brotherhood" only goes so far. Which is more impressive" Who's in your math class? James Quick. or Nicole Scherzinger? " I am sure who I would pick but I am worried about my Catholic brethren's choices.

Anyway, this is a feeble attempt to thread jack a topic as inflammatory as I starting a topic on How far could Coach Beatty go before Trinity would let him go? ( by the way, I supported his time out and play calling against Manual.)

Well said Alan60! What alumni from both schools and people in the community have to understand is the demographic in Louisville has changed since the 70's and 80' when T and X were 99% catholic (Just a guess). The economy, increasing tuition cost at the grade school and high school levels have reduced the number of boy's to draw from during the 2000's. Just look at the number of Catholic parishes which have combined with other parishes in the community. It's simple math. Bottom line is if a non-catholic student wants to go to T or X to play football, basketball, baseball etc., good for them. When they graduate, they will be a better person for our community. Isn't that what we want? I personally know kids who attended both school that told me they didn't really understand the true brotherhood that exist within, until they became seniors and/or returned after graduating for various events. This in know way is a dig at the publics...and I mean no disrespect to anyone's Alma Matter. I'm just stating the facts. Why do you think the alumni base is so strong at both schools. Those who might disagree with my assessment, have never been in the halls of of both schools. Let's move on... the Rocks have a game with Ryle on Friday! Well it's time to get off my soap box. GO ROCKS! #20!

If that is not a dig at publics, than what is it? A non-dig way of saying that kids will be better if they go to Trinity or X?

I hope Coach Glaser stays forever, fine person evidently but still can't admit that the Rocks sometimes just have a better team. The Rocks have beaten him so many times in the big games in the last 9 years, he always has some stupid statments to say ---Well their not 38 points better that us-- The best team did not win---, The Broom incident-- tipping his hat--- These are all class-less acts in my opinion. I know the X faithful have to be embarrassed by some of his actions and statements. But heres hoping for him to stay forever!!! Go Rocks

Just thinking that "brotherhood" only goes so far. Which is more impressive" Who's in your math class? James Quick. or Nicole Scherzinger? " I am sure who I would pick but I am worried about my Catholic brethren's choices.

Anyway, this is a feeble attempt to thread jack a topic as inflammatory as I starting a topic on How far could Coach Beatty go before Trinity would let him go? ( by the way, I supported his time out and play calling against Manual.)

JR

Apparently both you as well as the Manual HC :thumb:

Thank you for that.

Do you really know Nicole ????/:cool:

I hope Coach Glaser stays forever, fine person evidently but still can't admit that the Rocks sometimes just have a better team. The Rocks have beaten him so many times in the big games in the last 9 years, he always has some stupid statments to say ---Well their not 38 points better that us-- The best team did not win---, The Broom incident-- tipping his hat--- These are all class-less acts in my opinion. I know the X faithful have to be embarrassed by some of his actions and statements. But heres hoping for him to stay forever!!! Go Rocks

I am with you there brother. A big Amen.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that T can take kids that St.X can not because we don not have any classes for kids with learning problems etc. that is a big deal.

This is not intended to pour salt in wounds, but rather an honest question. Is it time for a change at X? Is Glaser the guy you want for the next 5-10 years? If so, is it time to demand and update to the offensvie scheme?

You have a short memory as St.X led the state in scoring last year and a few others recently and threw it quite a bit, also threw the ball very well before Mattingly got hurt.