KHSAA Football Alignment for 2011-2014 announced

The Scribe

How many public schools do you know of that can offer financial assistance/tuition to out of district student athletes?

How many student athletes do St. X/Trinity have that transfered in from other school districts?

Bottom line is that public schools do not compete on a LEVEL playing field with private schools!!!

One for sure- Manual!

They can get anyone in the city in and they prove that in academics with their 40 odd National Merits every year.

With a quality coach, they could certainly compete with T and X!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is the key sentence in your post. Again, all of your points are valid, but the way I look at it is shut up and play football.

IMO, the T and X fans that are complaining are doing so because one of those teams will have their amount of semi final and state finals appearance cut back because of this. If you're satisfied with finishing runner up or making the state semi's, then I can understand why you're upset, but either way you're going to have to beat one another for the state title so why does it matter when that game is??

Again, Newcath and Beechwood were 2 of the top 3 programs in the state in 1A during the 90's and early 2000's, but nobody complained about them being in the same district.

Covcath and Highlands were two of the state's best programs for a very long time for their class and they were in the same district but nobody complaied about that either.

Don't expect any of us to feel "sorry" for T and X being in the same district, regardless of how the geographical location says they should be paired up with other teams.

Sour grapes...must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.

Question: Do these alignments take into consideration some schools' requests to play up? I seem to recall Boyle County, Johnson Central and LexCath petitioning to play up from 4A to 5A... does this mean their requests were denied?

The True 6A State Championship game has been moved back from Bowling Green to Louisville's Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium, and the date has been moved up a couple of weeks from the first week in December to the third week in November. At this time St. X., Trinity, Male, or Manual will be crowned as State Champion, with final confirmation coming two weeks later from the KHSAA. :ylsuper:

Now it's time to think about the biggest positive about this new alignment....MONEY, MONEY, MONEY....and how we are going to spend it all. :clap:

Thank you OX:clap::clap::clap:

When's the last time northern kentucky teams were put in district 7 like they are in 4A?

They're no 6A teams in North Eastern and South Eastern Kentucky so lets get that one out of the way. One thing that's odd to me is you have NE & SE Kentucky schools in district 7 in all classes except in Class 4A. What gives? Did the KHSAA not want to put Highlands and Covington Catholic in the same region as Boyle and Lexington Catholic? How can they justify putting Northern Ky and North Eastern and South Eastern Ky teams in the same region?

Edited by Czar

With all the teams making the playoffs in A and 6A, once again this shows the pure silliness of 6 classes of football in the commonwealth. The regular season means squat. What less than 20% of the teams don't make the playoffs?

With all the teams making the playoffs in A and 6A, once again this shows the pure silliness of 6 classes of football in the commonwealth. The regular season means squat. What less than 20% of the teams don't make the playoffs?

If I'm not mistaken that is an increase, I think currently only 18% don't make the playoffs. I'm not a 100% on that though.

Question: Do these alignments take into consideration some schools' requests to play up? I seem to recall Boyle County, Johnson Central and LexCath petitioning to play up from 4A to 5A... does this mean their requests were denied?

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't particularly understand why Lex Cath, in particular, would want to move up to 5A. And as for Johnson Central, unless they honestly feel geographically isolated, I don't understand why they would want to move out of their class, as competitive as they've been and as much respect as they've been garnering... :idunno:

If I am seeing this right Bell and Corbin will be in the West in a Region with Louisville Central? Seems that travel is excessive? Not sure what KHSAA is thinking. You have district 5 which is Bourbon and Estill that are a lot closer than District 4 Bell and Corbin are to Louisville.

I always thought the Sweet 16 was the cash cow for the KHSAA. Not football

The Sweet 16 dwarfs the football playoffs in terms of revenue generation for the KHSAA. Looking back on the past several years' KHSAA financial reports, the Sweet 16 usually generates around $1.7 million, while revenue from all classes of football typically brings in around $250K. Even in years when St X and Trinity have met in the final before 20,000+ spectators, revenue for all classes was about $300K. Considering the fact that total KHSAA revenue for 2008-09 was $4.5 million, the incremental revenue from an X/T final wouldn't amount to more than one or two percent. The X/T football final revenue effect has been overstated.

When's the last time Northern Kentucky teams were put in district 7 like they are in 4A?

That's roughly the same alignment we had in the late 90's/early 00's. I want to say it was switched around some time around 2003 or 2004. Holmes has fluctuated up and down in class size, as has Dixie Heights. Cov Cath and Highlands have been in the same district for decades. Harrison was usually in the same class, different district (if I'm not mistaken), and Pendelton County is the new kid on the block.

The Sweet 16 dwarfs the football playoffs in terms of revenue generation for the KHSAA. Looking back on the past several years' KHSAA financial reports, the Sweet 16 usually generates around $1.7 million, while revenue from all classes of football typically brings in around $250K. Even in years when St X and Trinity have met in the final before 20,000+ spectators, revenue for all classes was about $300K. Considering the fact that total KHSAA revenue for 2008-09 was $4.5 million, the incremental revenue from an X/T final wouldn't amount to more than one or two percent. The X/T football final revenue effect has been overstated.

And I put the lack of better revenue from the football finals at the feet of the KHSAA. If they want it to generate more revenue they have to make it a bigger more entertaining event. It can be done.