Poll on ESPN about Coaches and what their most important job is

Theoldguy

ESPN poll

What should the main job of a college coach be?

Win

Graduate student athletics

Serve as a Role model

I am sorry to see that most in Ky believe that the most important job of a college coach is to win and it is by the highest percentage of any other state. I am glad some states have their priorities set correctly.

Me, I think you can do both, as teams like "X" do it and that is win and graduate their student athletics.

ESPN poll

Win

Serve as a Role model

I am sorry to see that most in Ky believe that the most important job of a college coach is to win and it is by the highest percentage of any other state. I am glad some states have their priorities set correctly.

Me, I think you can do both, as teams like "X" do it and that is win and graduate their student athletics.

:thumb::thumb:

ESPN poll

Win

Serve as a Role model

Oldguy, I can't agree with you more. You can win but college is about getting a degree and a education. But at this day in age, most of society cares about nothing but winning.

If Coach Cal graduates every single kid and is an ideal role model but only wins 50% of his games, we will see if the University is quick to live up to their standards of integrity, graduation, etc. they expect of a coach.

Every school is different. Obviously it should all be done in conjunction with one another, but the way I look at it, head coaches are brought in to win games, get people to donate money, be an ambassador to the University, and in turn boost retention. They are contracted employees to deliver results (on the field).

I'm sorry but coaches are judged by wins. I don't care what you do off the field if you lose you get fired.

:thumb:

It's a parent's job to be a role model.

It's a teacher's job to make sure these kids graduate.

It's a coach's job to win games.

My theory with sports, both college and professional, is simple....Just win baby. I don't care how you do it, just win.

In a perfect world the coaches would be more concerned with acedemics than winning, but in reality their job is to coach and win games. How many division one football and basketball coaches make six or seven figures? How many teachers at those same colleges make the same?

:thumb:

It's a parent's job to be a role model.

It's a teacher's job to make sure these kids graduate.

It's a coach's job to win games.

My theory with sports, both college and professional, is simple....Just win baby. I don't care how you do it, just win.

And to expand, I assume you want your coach to be as good of a role model as possible, and to mentor kids through school, but that is not what they were hired to do. If that is the case, do not fire these guys when they do not win.

In a perfect world the coaches would be more concerned with acedemics than winning, but in reality their job is to coach and win games. How many division one football and basketball coaches make six or seven figures? How many teachers at those same colleges make the same?

At the D1 level, I would assume every single football coach makes at least six figures. Some lower tier in basketball maybe less than six figures.

ESPN poll

Win

Serve as a Role model

If I have to pick only one of three it has to be win. When in reality it's win while serving as a role model making sure you graduate as many as possible.

The fact is college sports is about money, period. A college football and basketball coach's job is to win.

To those who have posted who think it's all about winning, you make me sad!

Don't you worry about the young men and women later on in their lives, if they don't make it to the next level? What do they have if they don't make it to the next level but memories of what they did playing the game and today, you can't get a job with memories.

How many young men and women who played College sports move on to play Pro sports?

As the NCAA commercial explains, most of us go on to other careers, other than in sports!

I also agree that it isn't fair for a Coach to have a better than .500 record, graduate his players, be a good role model for the students and the Community where the University is located and then to get fired.

Universities were indeed founded for students to get a education and improve their lives and thus make our Country a better place to live. Can you name me one Universities that was built to win a NCAA Title and not for it's students to get an education!

Are sports important/fun? Yes, but not at the expense of getting all students a better education!

To those who have posted who think it's all about winning, you make me sad!

Don't you worry about the young men and women later on in their lives, if they don't make it to the next level? What do they have if they don't make it to the next level but memories of what they did playing the game and today, you can't get a job with memories.

How many young men and women who played College sports move on to play Pro sports?

As the NCAA commercial explains, most of us go on to other careers, other than in sports!

I also agree that it isn't fair for a Coach to have a better than .500 record, graduate his players, be a good role model for the students and the Community where the University is located and then to get fired.

Universities were indeed founded for students to get a education and improve their lives and thus make our Country a better place to live. Can you name me one Universities that was built to win a NCAA Title and not for it's students to get an education!

Are sports important/fun? Yes, but not at the expense of getting all students a better education!

Let me ask you this, whose job is to make sure a regular student gets his/her degree and makes something of themselves? Whether you like it or college sports is a business and the coach's first job is to win.

I had several friends that played football at UK during the Curry era....everyone of them to a man will tell you that Bill Curry was a man of the highest integrity and took a serious role in the development of his STUDENT ATHLETES...where did that get him? We can say all we want about how the world "should" be, but it isn't guys.

I think coaches have the responsibility to A.) Run a clean program B.) Represent the University responsibly and C.) Win. The support system should be in place through the program to help the students graduate and for that matter, most of the guys I knew graduated in 4 years whereas I was a "regular" student that took 5 1/2 years like most of my non athlete friends. Players have a lot of advantages built in already when it comes to getting their degree so I get a little put out when all of that is put on the coach. IMO, he has other repsonsibilities.

Let me ask you this, whose job is to make sure a regular student gets his/her degree and makes something of themselves? Whether you like it or college sports is a business and the coach's first job is to win.

PERFECT question. My father taught me growing up that I am responsibile for my own actions and the repurcussions that come with those actions. Nice post Woodsrider.