KHSAA - Recommended Guidelines on Filming Games for Trading Purposes

As the new season approaches, we'll have some new camera personnel stepping in for various schools to perform the game filming duties for tape trading throughout the season.

Is there a KHSAA set of recommended guidelines on how games should be filmed for consistency purposes? I've been searching through the KHSAA's site, and have not been able to find anything yet.

It's my understanding that two years ago the KHSAA put this in their rules. I find it at http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/tournamentrules/fbtournamentrules.pdf on page 4 and 5 where it says item "G" for video standards. It used to be recommended, but at the request of the state coaches association and the Commissioner's Football Advisory Committee, it was made mandatory. There are penalties in place if its not complied with in postseason, for the regular season, most schools put adherence in their game contracts. Eliminates the days of "my dog ate the video" or the trade copy somehow being green and blue while the home copy was perfect. Hope this helps.

Here are some of the things that I do, these are things the Coaching Association has requested but some schools I have noticed do not do. These make it a lot easier to follow the game.

1. Begin filming at the huddle break, if in no huddle offense begin filming while team is walking to the line.

2. Film three seconds after the whistle has stopped the play.

3. Film one yard behind the deepest back on offense, and one Yard behind the deepest LB on defense.

4. Film the down and distance markers between each play.

5. Film the scoreboard after every score and at the end of each quarter.

6. Film the coverage of kicks not trying to find the ball in air.

7. Film official hand signals for penalties.

8. Film wide on kicks.

9. Stop the tape between plays and between showing down markers and scoreboard. This make the tap about 50 minutes instead of an hour and a half.

Speaking of game films, is there a mandate on what games and how many films must be traded? I know of a District opponent that refused to trade with us last year. It made for some good pre-game adrenaline and sweetened the victory just a bit.

Speaking of game films, is there a mandate on what games and how many films must be traded? I know of a District opponent that refused to trade with us last year. It made for some good pre-game adrenaline and sweetened the victory just a bit.

Two game tapes, one of which has to be the latest game.

Good, there needs to be standards for filming games. I can remember one time when I was in Highschool we recieved tape from Harrison County that was terrible. A two year old could have taped better.

One of the schools I film for picked us up following a season where their film guy was so terrible that several opposing schools accused them of doctoring the film. There are some truly awful ones out there.

G) Videotaping Standard and Procedures and Video Exchange Policy:

1) All Visiting teams will be given the same area to record from as

the home team.

2) All exchange video should be recorded digitally with a digital

Camera.

3) All exchange video should be recorded in DVD format or Online

4) All exchange video shall be recorded using a Tripod.

5) All exchange video shall be recorded from the highest possible

point in the stadium

6) All exchange video shall be recorded so that the teams numbers

are visible

7) All exchange video shall be recorded from the huddle to z few

seconds past the end of the play (5-10 seconds).

8) If the team is a no huddle team, the video shall begin recording

before any shifts or motions and continue past the end of the

play (5-10 seconds).

9) If there is a penalty, the video shall continue to record until the

penalty has been enforced.

10) All exchange video shall be recorded from the deepest

offensive back to the safety to begin the play, then zooming in

closer to the play in order to see the numbers on the players as

the play progresses.

11) On all Punts and Punt returns, the video should NOT follow

the ball. The video should begin with a wide view showing both

the punt and punt return teams, and then zoom in to the return

team after the ball is punted and received.

12) On all Kickoffs and Kick Returns, the video should NOT follow

the ball. The video should begin with a wide view of both the

kickoff and return teams and then zoom in to the return team

after the returner has received the ball.

13) The video shall show the down and distance with a short shot

of the downs marker between plays.

14) The video shall show the scoreboard after every score, at each

time-out, and between quarters.

15) All teams shall make available at least 2 tapes to exchange

(choice made by the opponent)

16) All teams shall exchange an updated roster, clearly indicating

offensive and defensive starters.

17) All Video shall be available by 8 am on the day following

the game if online exchange is utilized, or by noon on the day

following the game if there is a physical exchange of video.

G) Videotaping Standard and Procedures and Video Exchange Policy:

1) All Visiting teams will be given the same area to record from as

the home team.

2) All exchange video should be recorded digitally with a digital

Camera.

3) All exchange video should be recorded in DVD format or Online

4) All exchange video shall be recorded using a Tripod.

5) All exchange video shall be recorded from the highest possible

point in the stadium

6) All exchange video shall be recorded so that the teams numbers

are visible

7) All exchange video shall be recorded from the huddle to z few

seconds past the end of the play (5-10 seconds).

8) If the team is a no huddle team, the video shall begin recording

before any shifts or motions and continue past the end of the

play (5-10 seconds).

9) If there is a penalty, the video shall continue to record until the

penalty has been enforced.

10) All exchange video shall be recorded from the deepest

offensive back to the safety to begin the play, then zooming in

closer to the play in order to see the numbers on the players as

the play progresses.

11) On all Punts and Punt returns, the video should NOT follow

the ball. The video should begin with a wide view showing both

the punt and punt return teams, and then zoom in to the return

team after the ball is punted and received.

12) On all Kickoffs and Kick Returns, the video should NOT follow

the ball. The video should begin with a wide view of both the

kickoff and return teams and then zoom in to the return team

after the returner has received the ball.

13) The video shall show the down and distance with a short shot

of the downs marker between plays.

14) The video shall show the scoreboard after every score, at each

time-out, and between quarters.

15) All teams shall make available at least 2 tapes to exchange

(choice made by the opponent)

16) All teams shall exchange an updated roster, clearly indicating

offensive and defensive starters.

17) All Video shall be available by 8 am on the day following

the game if online exchange is utilized, or by noon on the day

following the game if there is a physical exchange of video.

Hand that list to a high school kid who is usually the one filming and the end result may look worse than before.

Hand that list to a high school kid who is usually the one filming and the end result may look worse than before.

Maybe different in your part of the woods, but I have been filming for several years and I have not seen a high school kid filming the trade tape. I have seen high school kids filming a second "wide angel" copy, but not the trade tape.

Maybe different in your part of the woods, but I have been filming for several years and I have not seen a high school kid filming the trade tape. I have seen high school kids filming a second "wide angel" copy, but not the trade tape.

Definatley different then. I've only seen a few adults filming period. I always remembered Grutza's father filming for Mason County with a camera that looked like something from a Hollywood movie scene and that was several years ago. Many schools in EKY only have 1 tape period and that is with a student or injured player filming from the pressbox. A sideline or endzone film is obsolete unless your school has great funding for a endzone camera and trust me, there aren't many in EKY. Especially 1A schools in EKY, they may be lucky to even have the film taped. This is a major problem statewide, maybe not in urban or city schools Louisville, Lexington, but everywhere else it is a problem for a lot of schools.

It's interesting that this has been in the coaches hands for 4 full seasons and now we have comments. It has now been adopted by the KHSAA to help set some guidelines and these guidelines actually came from the coaches themselves.

It's interesting that this has been in the coaches hands for 4 full seasons and now we have comments. It has now been adopted by the KHSAA to help set some guidelines and these guidelines actually came from the coaches themselves.

I think those guidelines are an excellent way for someone to film, it is pretty lengthy and some may be unrealistic for some schools, however, it is a nice set of rules. Making it mandatory is another animal however. Just not enough personnel or funds for some schools.

Definatley different then. I've only seen a few adults filming period. I always remembered Grutza's father filming for Mason County with a camera that looked like something from a Hollywood movie scene and that was several years ago. Many schools in EKY only have 1 tape period and that is with a student or injured player filming from the pressbox. A sideline or endzone film is obsolete unless your school has great funding for a endzone camera and trust me, there aren't many in EKY. Especially 1A schools in EKY, they may be lucky to even have the film taped. This is a major problem statewide, maybe not in urban or city schools Louisville, Lexington, but everywhere else it is a problem for a lot of schools.

I don't mean to dispute you, but I am a long way from Louisville and the other teams that we play always have an adult filming, and several have two cameras. Many are not big wealthy schools. I am sure what you have said is true from your experience, just not what I've seen.

I think those guidelines are an excellent way for someone to film, it is pretty lengthy and some may be unrealistic for some schools, however, it is a nice set of rules. Making it mandatory is another animal however. Just not enough personnel or funds for some schools.

It is currently mandatory, with sanctions for those that are reported for not following it. Letters sent to coaches asks them to report anyone that is not following these guidelines.