Colleges with Multiple Local 2010 Commits

Some players are actively recruited and scouted over a period of time, even by D3 schools. D3 players cannot receive athletic scholarships but can be offered varying amounts of institutional grants and academic money. D3 coaches scout/recruit certain players at AAU tournaments and visit high school games to show interest to players they are already interested in.

I believe committed means they have been asked to play by the coach , have been offered a financial aid/academic scholarship package, have told the coaches that they are going to play, they enroll/register, and sign to accept any offered grants/aid, etc. and play. In short, they are committed to playing there.

I don't believe there is an binding letter of intent signed at the D3 level like at D2 and D1. The signing ceremony/action is optional for ceremony/publicity and is not an NCAA reuirement for D3 schools since they don't/cannot offer ATHLETIC scholarships.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, that is the situation at Boone Co. I made some phone calls; I found this pretty amazing, there has only been one athletic scholarship come out of Boone County's basketball program in the last 5 years and that was McFarland.

I find that amazing also because there has been several good players come out of Boone during that time and not just McFarland. I guess his father's position helped with his situation. It's a shame the Gabbard received no offers because he was possibly the best point guard in Northern Kentucky. I think McQuery let him down by not helping him get to the next level. I know he has other responsibilities but this kid was the leader of his team. Without Gabbard, Boone would not have been as successful. I feel for the kid because he deserves better.

With the growth of AAU ball and the emphasis that colleges have placed on being able to look at multiple prospects at a single venue or tournament I don't know how realistic it is to expect the high school coach to have a major impact on recruiting. Some high school coaches are very good at helping their players with the recruiting process and some aren't. High school coaches as a rule have serious demands on their time. They are responsible for everything that goes on in their program from freshmen on up. They need to be aware of what is going on in their middle school programs and most either still teach classes or are in administration. Not to mention any family needs or obligations. While most might not admit it the needs of the few kids in their program who have the desire and skills to play at the next level are often not as high on the priority/to do list that they have on a daily basis. Not a referendum on whether McQuery should have done more for Gabbard but more of a general statement as to how the process works today.

Well said.

The recruitment from Asbury came too late in the year. Asbury was already out of scholarship money. I hate it for Mikey because he should have received a scholarship somewhere. Boone County's coach should have helped him get a scholarship. He's too good a player to be walking on somewhere.

Or maybe his AAU coaches should have done more work since it seems the consensus here is most recruiting is done during the summer.

Or maybe his AAU coaches should have done more work since it seems the consensus here is most recruiting is done during the summer.

I know you are saying that to be funny, but I agree with that. AAU is a crock.

I find that amazing also because there has been several good players come out of Boone during that time and not just McFarland. I guess his father's position helped with his situation. It's a shame the Gabbard received no offers because he was possibly the best point guard in Northern Kentucky. I think McQuery let him down by not helping him get to the next level. I know he has other responsibilities but this kid was the leader of his team. Without Gabbard, Boone would not have been as successful. I feel for the kid because he deserves better.

Honestly what did Boone do? They went to 1 regional final. Mikey is good, but if you travel the state most of the good teams have someone just like him. As I have said before, he can play in college somewhere, but he is going to have to pay to play. If people would stop telling these kids how great they are and UK or U of L should be recruiting them, maybe their expectations would be more realistic, and it wouldn't be such a letdown when it is Mt. St. Joe's or Asbury that is a knockin'. I think that is another disservice of AAU-it builds up the kids to think they are better than they are.

I hope Mikey lands somewhere if that is what he desires.

Honestly what did Boone do? They went to 1 regional final. Mikey is good, but if you travel the state most of the good teams have someone just like him. As I have said before, he can play in college somewhere, but he is going to have to pay to play. If people would stop telling these kids how great they are and UK or U of L should be recruiting them, maybe their expectations would be more realistic, and it wouldn't be such a letdown when it is Mt. St. Joe's or Asbury that is a knockin'. I think that is another disservice of AAU-it builds up the kids to think they are better than they are.

I hope Mikey lands somewhere if that is what he desires.

Whether Mikey lands a scholarship has less to do with what Boone did than what Mikey has accomplished in his 4 years both on an off the court. I think the reason people are talking about this is because we are shocked that he is not playing somewhere because of all of his accomplishments in both school ball and AAU ball. Plus, the fact that he is a leader on and off the court and has a very high GPA we know he would be a great pick up for any college team. He was offered a D2 scholarship prior to his senior season, and has had numerous interest from several small D1 schools and D2 schools throughout the year. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he named three decent schools that he was still talking to. I hope something works out for him because in all my years as a coach I have never seen a kid work so hard all of the time.

Whether Mikey lands a scholarship has less to do with what Boone did than what Mikey has accomplished in his 4 years both on an off the court. I think the reason people are talking about this is because we are shocked that he is not playing somewhere because of all of his accomplishments in both school ball and AAU ball. Plus, the fact that he is a leader on and off the court and has a very high GPA we know he would be a great pick up for any college team. He was offered a D2 scholarship prior to his senior season, and has had numerous interest from several small D1 schools and D2 schools throughout the year. I talked to him a few weeks ago and he named three decent schools that he was still talking to. I hope something works out for him because in all my years as a coach I have never seen a kid work so hard all of the time.

This post sums it up about this kid. Nicely done. I hope to hear about him playing somewhere soon and would love to follow his career. He is a physical specimen for a PG and has some serious leaping ability.

Wabash Valley got some strong KY recruits. I think Transy also got some nice KY players.

Thomas More, Pikeville, and Union all have a bunch of local recruits.

Alice Lloyd (3)

Isaac Wilson (Corbin)

Blaine Green (Middlesboro)

Clint Stepp (June Buchanan)

Asbury (5)

Marquel Johnson (Henry Clay)

Austin Flannery (Scott Co.)

Kyle Bair (E. Carter)

Jaquail Fowler (PRP)

Lyndon Compton (Mercer Co.)

Ashland (OH) (2)

Will Evans (Lex. Christian)

Jordan Berlin (Wilmington, OH)

Brescia (3)

D.J. Ray (Bowling Green)

Troy Halcomb (Warren Central)

Brett Jackson (Warren Central)

Campbellsville (3)

Bryton Taylor (Campbellsville)

Cameron Hall (Glasgow)

J. Johnson (Holmes)

Centre (4)

Ben Watson (Highlands)

Taylor Newsome (Shelby Valley)

Colin Lopez (CAL)

Matt Lohr (St. Xavier)

Emory & Henry (VA) (2)

Tyler Mullins (Perry Co. Central)

Jake Davis (Seven Hills, OH)

Hanover (4)

Connor Jeffries

Grant Pangallo (Newport Catholic)

Jacob Reiger (Bishop Brossart)

Mitch McLeish (Ryle)

Johns Hopkins (2)

Daniel Corbett (Trinity)

Alex Nikolic (Manual)

Lindsay Wilson (2)

Jalik Alexander (Trigg Co)

Jerrod Harper (Caverna)

Mid Continent (2)

Willie Slusher (Holmes)

Lyle Rommelman (Community Christian)

Morehead St. (2)

Taylor Maze (Bath Co.)

Jamal Stephenson (PRP)

Pikeville (8)

Nick Noble (Breathitt Co)

Josh Whittaker (Hazard)

Chris Noble (Perry Co Central

Tyler Newsome (Shelby Valley)

Cody Hunter (Rowan Co)

Logan Hill (Burgin)

Eric Stidham (Buckhorn)

Dieb Gross (Pike Co Central)

Southeastern Ill College (3)

Demarko Foster (Newport)

Dominique Hagans (Lafayette)

Mike Walker (Lafayette)

Thomas Moore (10)

Will Yager (Caroll Co.)

Spencer Berlecamp (Kings, OH)

Ryan Vogel (Silver Grove)

DeCarlo Hayes (Male)

Chris Richards (Southern)

Blake Bryan (Villa Madonna)

Derek Schmidt (Newport Catholic)

Ryan Popp (Boone Co.)

Zeke Wright (Trigg Co.)

Dylan Hamilton (Bracken Co)

Transylvania (3)

Tate Cox (Knott Co Central)

Steven Kowolonek (Highlands)

Ashley Hatfield (Shelby Valley)

Union (8)

Ponzer (Walton Verona)

Cody Miller (Knox Central)

S. Stamper (Knott Co Central)

Matt St. John (S. Laurel)

Mickey Lewis (Franklin Simpson)

Tommie Boyce (Bowling Green)

Madison Johnson (Corbin)

Storm Burchett (Clinton Co)

Wabash Valley College (IL) (3)

Shaquille Wilson (Christian Co)

Ian Chiles (Ballard)

Donovan Johnson (Shelby Co)

Add Azrey Crisp (Montgomery County) to that list of Asbury signees!

• 2 weeks later...
Nice post Wildcatfan.

I do not see Mikey Gabbard on that list though and word is he was leaning heavily toward Asbury.

Any updates on that?

Mikey called today to let me know that he will be playing at WKU next year. They did not have a scholarship to give, so he will be a preferred walk-on with scholarship opportunities for his last 3 years. He was very glad that he gets to play at the next level, especially DI, and get a good education on top of that. Congrats to Mikey!

Mikey called today to let me know that he will be playing at WKU next year. They did not have a scholarship to give, so he will be a preferred walk-on with scholarship opportunities for his last 3 years. He was very glad that he gets to play at the next level, especially DI, and get a good education on top of that. Congrats to Mikey!

Glad to hear it. Wish him much success.