A Friend of mine who is an educator....

RockPride

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the KHSAA would do their job and monitor recruiting then people wouldn't be concerned. It isn't that public schools want the privates out because they are so good. It is because there is a double standard in the KHSAA where one school can recruit in kids from anywhere including other states and the public schools have very distinct districts that they have to draw kids from. Now is that fair? NO!

Yes very defined districts like Fairview and Pike Central.

Exactly SilverShadow.

I think both Private schools and Public schools are great. However, privates don't have to really take into consideration "Special Needs" and "Behavioral Needs" kids like Publics. Also, speaking of socio-economic issues...take a look at some public schools in Kentucky that are making the grade despite big bridges to overcome...take a look at EZEL ELEMENTARY in Morgan County and look at their TEST SCORES according to the 2005 CATS test and look at the non-academic indicators such as free and reduced lunch, etc..and they look to be doing quite well compared to other schools in Kentucky. That is if we are getting into the argument of which is best?? not really sure if we are...as I was intending to provide FACTUAL information that derailed the Senators unthoughtful comments.

Good post.

Whether public or private, blaming the teachers is off base. There is a HIGH correlation of educational success with family involvement and support underlying a basic value for education. Private schools generally have this due to the financial commitment (or the financial commitment because of a belief of a better education, etc. in a private school) and many public schools have this familial support particularly charter and magnet schools. However, way too many "homes" do not have an environment valuing and supporting education for a myriad of reasons. It is a real challenge to keep a kid on the right track if there is no support at home.