A Friend of mine who is an educator....

RockPride

You have to look at the big picture when comparing public and private schools. It is not just the academic aspect of the school, most public schools are close to if not stronger than a good number of the private schools in Louisville with the exception of St. X. It is the spiritual and community aspect of catholic education that separates the two. Those benefits of private schools are not going to show up on test scores, and I would not expect most public school supporters to understand their importance. But when asking the question why are these private school so successful in everything they do, you have to consider these qualities to see the big picture.

Pure arrogance!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think overall are public school education is below average in the state. You can talk hard work and troubles. But numbers don't lie and there are other area's across the country who have harder conditions but still seem to do better than ky.

I think in general the schools who seem to succeed more in public schools are the one's with open school distritcts. I.E. the Highlands and JCPS of the world.

Highlands is an open school district? They accept anyone and everyone who applies? How much you want to bet?

quoted this exact following statement:

"The public schools, for such lunacy, have no tradition and no pride and they have dumbed down the curriculum………….so why stop there? If you can’t compete in the classroom or the playing field, change the rules and you won’t have to compete. Just instill mediocrity. But at least the teachers and administrators won’t have to do anything except draw a paycheck paid by our tax money."

Your friend is a moron.

Pure arrogance!
Arrogance describes the public school officials who constantly look for scapegoats to explain poor academic and athletic performance .

Arrogance is seeing many parents paying twice for their children's eduction through taxation and tuition and assuming that private schools must be guilty of some sort of misconduct to attract student athletes.

Arrogance is seeking to lower standards to make students, parents, and athletes feel good about themselves by excluding top teams from competition.

Arrogance is public school administrators' failure to see improvement of the schools for which they are responsible as the proper means to level the playing field in high school sports.

There are some excellent public schools in Kentucky and they successfully compete with like-sized private schools in every area. People in charge of public schools should focus on replicating their success instead of placing an unfair burden on private schools, whose supporters are also supporting the public school system in this state.

For now 10 years I have been the adult sunday school teacher in my church. I have on numerous occasions preched the word at several churches. I dont think I need a school to tend to the spritual needs of my child. I will take sole responsibility for that myself.

One of my children is also a exceptional athlete at the middle school level. I FULL well know how things work with both public and private schools.

That's about as insulting as I've ever heard. You can tell your friend there are plenty of public schools who haven't dumbed down curriculum and there are LOTS of teachers and coaches who do more than draw a freaking paycheck. And that kind of attitude is exactly why some of the public schools have problems with uppity snotty people who think they are too good to attend a public school. My public school has over 50 kids getting college credits this year on our campus with a partnership with a local university, has instilled a new freshman academy with teacher's working overtime, had 3 national merit scholars last year, and on and on.........don't lump all "public" schools in the same boat just because you are upset about some stupid athletic vote. Athletics schould not drive high schools. Get over it, the BOC won't let it happen anyway. You educator friend obviously isn't very educated.

I would not post a reply...because I was so HOT after reading RockPrides post.

Great post akw :thumb:

Arrogance describes the public school officials who constantly look for scapegoats to explain poor academic and athletic performance .

Arrogance is seeing many parents paying twice for their children's eduction through taxation and tuition and assuming that private schools must be guilty of some sort of misconduct to attract student athletes.

Arrogance is seeking to lower standards to make students, parents, and athletes feel good about themselves by excluding top teams from competition.

Arrogance is public school administrators' failure to see improvement of the schools for which they are responsible as the proper means to level the playing field in high school sports.

There are some excellent public schools in Kentucky and they successfully compete with like-sized private schools in every area. People in charge of public schools should focus on replicating their success instead of placing an unfair burden on private schools, whose supporters are also supporting the public school system in this state.

So to be consistent with the comments of Tigershark, maybe I should just reply you do not get it. :rolleyes: Maybe just hold an opinion that you are biased in your observation and really not qualified to hold judgement. No, my friend, you are entitled to your opinion, but in this case, the arrogance is the assumption one does not understand a fairly simple, narrow view point as shown by Tigershark.

I have been trying to stay out of this.

Tigershark, quote your testing source to make this rank claim.

Take a look at the United States Department of Education, National Education Association, and Fedstats Web Sites. Those along with Ranking Agencies such as the National Assessment of Educational Progress Report Card, and Morgan Quitno Press; State and City Ranking Publications will show that Kentucky is making improvements like I mentioned before but continues to rank between 37th and 48th in the Country in all Educational Statistics.

If you are happy with even the top ranking of 37th in the country than congratulations, but I am just am not satisfied with those marks, Those rankings just don’t make the grade.

Pure arrogance!

Like I said you just wouldn’t understand, the private schools in Kentucky are having success in both their academic endeavors and on the athletic fields, and a good number of Public School Supporters have given up tiring to compete so they have voted to eliminate their competition. That is a wonderful lesson for the children in those schools, when the going gets tough, just give up and change the rules, take the easy way out.

So to be consistent with the comments of Tigershark, maybe I should just reply you do not get it. :rolleyes: Maybe just hold an opinion that you are biased in your observation and really not qualified to hold judgement. No, my friend, you are entitled to your opinion, but in this case, the arrogance is the assumption one does not understand a fairly simple, narrow view point as shown by Tigershark.
I've never won a debate calling my adversary arrogant. If the tactic has worked for you in the past, then why fix what's not broken? :D

Like I said you just wouldn’t understand, the private schools in Kentucky are having success in both their academic endeavors and on the athletic fields, and a good number of Public School Supporters have given up tiring to compete so they have voted to eliminate their competition. That is a wonderful lesson for the children in those schools, when the going gets tough, just give up and change the rules, take the easy way out.

OK, now name the source for the great private school test scores.

Here is a link the Senator may want to check before he spouts next time...

http://www.msubillings.edu/caer/quality_rankings_of_education_in.htm

Teacher Quality impressive with a #7 ranking....

More published later.

Did you read at the bottom of the page describing the data in the sited tables. They have nothing at all to do with test scores. This is an economic research site that examines the quality of education with economic factors.

Did you read at the bottom of the page describing the data in the sited tables. They have nothing at all to do with test scores. This is an economic research site that examines the quality of education with economic factors.

This coming from the same person who said there is more to test scores in education. That is why us dumb public school supporters do not understand the private schools?! :rolleyes: