End of the Sweet 16

NEXT

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Prop 20 passing this is just the beginning of the end for the Sweet 16, which is the greatest athletic accomplishment there is in High School sport.

Hopefully Prop 20 will not make it all the way through. I was talking to a business colleague in Indianapolis about Prop 20 the other day. He said that several people he talked to were aware of the proposal and were hoping it did not pass, especially since it could ruin our Sweet 16. Since Indiana split their basketball tournament into classes, he said it has really taken the excitement out of their playoffs compared to the old days. He attended a large school that always ran into a SMALLER school in the old tournament and the smaller school beat them every year for a number of years. The year after Indiana's class system went into place, his school won state in their class and the smaller school, they usually lost to, also won state in a smaller class. He said it was really a hollow championship because he knew the smaller school was probably better but they didn't get a chance to find out on the court.

Remember when a lot of the small schools wanted to have classification for basketball? Remember how the All A classic was a way of giving the small schools a so called state championship during the season to keep the Sweet 16 the way it is? The Sweet 16 is what it is now because their is one true state champion, take away the one true state champion then you take away the glamor, the KHSAA knew this back then and fought to keep it the way it is.

The districts should remain the same, it is only seperate in post season. And the "Sweet 16" could be even better, there could be a private and public title game on Sat. night.

Yes, and I am sure the KHSAA could afford to rent Rupp for two tourny's.

Hopefully the Board of Control will figure out a way to keep the Sweet 16 the same. They have to figure out some way to make the private play semi close to the same rules as public schools. There are only a handful of private schools that have caused this. I believe the Board will get it worked out but the KHSAA was the ones that let it get out of control.

How many private schools were in the Sweet 16 last year?

I think it would impossible to have 16 private schools make the Sweet 16. I'm guessing it's at least usually 75 percent public schools.

Here are the teams from last year's Sweet 16:

Ballard

Bullitt East

Corbin

E'town

Henry Clay

Holmes

Lone Oak

Ohio County

Pendleton County

Perry County Central

PRP

Rowan County

Shelby Valley

South Laurel

University Heights

Warren Central

Say what you want about attendance at the Sweet 16, but a large part of the crowd consists of unbiased fans. For example, there are posters on here and people around the state that go to the Sweet 16 regardless of which teams make it. Do you think they'll continue to come when some of the best teams are not even eligible to make the tournament? People want to see the best of the best, and if this split becomes a reality then I think you'll see a lot of non-biased fans missing their first Sweet 16 tournament.

Can you imagine a tournament where Henry Clay or Lafayette is in it on a consistent basis, even though Lex Cath is the traditional powerhouse in the 11th region?

Can you imagine a tournament where Holmes is pretty much given the 9th region title because Cov Cath, Holy Cross & New Cath can't stop them from playing in it?

People want to see the best from each region, and Prop 20 will prevent that in SOME region almost EVERY year.

Say what you want about attendance at the Sweet 16, but a large part of the crowd consists of unbiased fans. For example, there are posters on here and people around the state that go to the Sweet 16 regardless of which teams make it. Do you think they'll continue to come when some of the best teams are not even eligible to make the tournament? People want to see the best of the best, and if this split becomes a reality then I think you'll see a lot of non-biased fans missing their first Sweet 16 tournament.

Can you imagine a tournament where Henry Clay or Lafayette is in it on a consistent basis, even though Lex Cath is the traditional powerhouse in the 11th region?

Can you imagine a tournament where Holmes is pretty much given the 9th region title because Cov Cath, Holy Cross & New Cath can't stop them from playing in it?

People want to see the best from each region, and Prop 20 will prevent that in SOME region almost EVERY year.

If this passes. There is only one other really conistent public program in the 9th region left and that is Highlands. Holmes wold win the region more often than not.

About unbiased fan attendance. I go every year with a group of friend regardless who plays. This would sway my decision. Also I know alot of High School's allow their coaches and people from athletic department to take school days off to go to the sweet 16.

So there was only one private school in the Sweet Sixteen last year?

It doesn't sound like it would have that big of an impact on basketball.

The private schools would probably have something like four regional tournaments with a final four during the Sweet Sixteen.

• 12 years later...
You could, but how much money will a second-class tournament make? Kentucky as a whole loves basketball, but they want to see the best of the best. Some years that may mean watching 16 public schools, and other years it may mean watching 12 publics & 4 privates. And, sometimes it may mean watching 16 private schools; however, with Prop 20, it assures 16 public schools and I can almost guarentee you that year in and year out, those schools will not be the true regional champion.

If you want to see the "best of the best" then the sweet 16 doesn't give you that either, sometimes far from it. Sweet 16 might be a great setup, but it definitely doesn't give you the best teams.

If this passes. There is only one other really conistent public program in the 9th region left and that is Highlands. Holmes wold win the region more often than not.

About unbiased fan attendance. I go every year with a group of friend regardless who plays. This would sway my decision. Also I know alot of High School's allow their coaches and people from athletic department to take school days off to go to the sweet 16.

In what world?