That week SEC Conference didn't !!!!

Wildcat Dad

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SEC is still weak...

6-2 in the tourney. 1/4 of the Elite 8 field is SEC teams. They have done okay. :D

I am not bashing the Big East. I still think top to bottom it was the best conference. However, they didn't have as many teams perform well in the big dance. WVU is the hot Big East team right now and they will give the Cats all they want on Saturday. This games makes me more nervous than any so far in the tourney, because WVU will be the best team UK has faced IMHO.

6-2 in the tourney. 1/4 of the Elite 8 field is SEC teams. They have done okay. :D

I am not bashing the Big East. I still think top to bottom it was the best conference. However, they didn't have as many teams perform well in the big dance. WVU is the hot Big East team right now and they will give the Cats all they want on Saturday. This games makes me more nervous than any so far in the tourney, because WVU will be the best team UK has faced IMHO.

UK should win by 10+. I would agree with you if they hadn't lost their point guard.

And by no means am I a Big East guy.

Who else should have gotten in?

The Miss St. team that lost to the 2nd to last ACC team at home? :lol:

State and Ole Miss did more than enough to get in. Ole Miss has played 5 games against teams in elite 8. State made a solid SEC tourney run too on top of a decent record. They certainly deserved in over a team like Louisville that lost to the power house Western Carolina at home. Wake Forest also looks like a joke now. Other than Xavier the A-10 was a complete wash with their 2 extra bids as well. UTEP who Ole Miss beat by 10 choked.

Not to mention not all teams bring their A game once they are in the NIT and some teams just quit like Mississippi State.

State and Ole Miss did more than enough to get in. Ole Miss has played 5 games against teams in elite 8. State made a solid SEC tourney run too on top of a decent record. They certainly deserved in over a team like Louisville that lost to the power house Western Carolina at home. Wake Forest also looks like a joke now. Other than Xavier the A-10 was a complete wash with their 2 extra bids as well. UTEP who Ole Miss beat by 10 choked.

Not to mention not all teams bring their A game once they are in the NIT and some teams just quit like Mississippi State.

I'll agree with you on all the teams you mentioned besides Wake Forest, they actually won at least one game in the tournament.

I think Ole Miss and State could make an arguement, but so could of the teams that made it and a few others that didn't.

Other than Xavier the A-10 was a complete wash with their 2 extra bids as well.

Yes, because Richmond and Temple's first round opponents, St. Mary's and Cornell, were both just absolutely rotten and didn't do anything in their own right. :rolleyes:

Using the NCAA tournament to measure conference strength is an absurd exercise. This time of year it's all about matchups and yes, when the team who finishes sixth in a conference meets a team that won theirs, it's not unlikely that the conference winner -- even if it's a smaller conference -- is better.

Yes, because Richmond and Temple's first round opponents, St. Mary's and Cornell, were both just absolutely rotten and didn't do anything in their own right. :rolleyes:

Using the NCAA tournament to measure conference strength is an absurd exercise. This time of year it's all about matchups and yes, when the team who finishes sixth in a conference meets a team that won theirs, it's not unlikely that the conference winner -- even if it's a smaller conference -- is better.

What quality non conference wins do those A-10 teams boast this season? Temple beat Villanova but the A-10 win column outside of that isn't great. Richmond did beat have some good wins against the SEC and I give them props for that. But Temple is a conference champion so your argument doesn't hold water there, both regular season and tournament. I don't mean to just pick on the A-10. But if post season success isn't what we judge by, then how do we judge? On how the conference beats up on each other? That's an even worse way to tell.

It also doesn't help to see how badly Saint Mary's was embarrassed tonight. Nor how Cornell was embarassed by UK. Ole Miss and State both gave UK a better game than Cornell. And Baylor, lost to the SEC 5th seed in the west alabama while beating Xavier.

The A-10 benefit greatly from Joe Lunardi who works for an A-10 school I believe is what ESPN was saying not long ago. He helped pushed them miles in the media and the rest of the media fell in love too. But in actuality it should have been at most a 2 bid league. And it definitely never deserved the 4 or 5 Lunardi was trying to lobby for most of February.