Martha Layne Collins High School

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shelby County must be really growing. Probably where it's close to the Louisville area. Same thing with Oldham and Bullitt.

How many other new schools are in the plans for the next few years? I know Lone Oak, Raceland, and Heath are consolidating to form a new school in McCracken County. I suppose that will also be its new name, McCracken County High School. There's also new schools planned for Warren and Laurel counties.

Most new consolidations have gotten away from adding the "Central" to their names. Harlan County chose not to do that. I never understood why Perry and Letcher added it to their new schools. There's already dozens of Centrals throughout the state, and many of them have that one word on their uniforms (and there's really only one Central High School in the state). Why not simply go with Perry County High or Letcher County High, since there was no school by those names before, which wasn't the case in Knott County when Carr Creek, Hindman, and Knott County High consolidated in 1975.

Shelby County must be really growing. Probably where it's close to the Louisville area. Same thing with Oldham and Bullitt.

How many other new schools are in the plans for the next few years? I know Lone Oak, Raceland, and Heath are consolidating to form a new school in McCracken County. I suppose that will also be its new name, McCracken County High School. There's also new schools planned for Warren and Laurel counties.

Most new consolidations have gotten away from adding the "Central" to their names. Harlan County chose not to do that. I never understood why Perry and Letcher added it to their new schools. There's already dozens of Centrals throughout the state, and many of them have that one word on their uniforms (and there's really only one Central High School in the state). Why not simply go with Perry County High or Letcher County High, since there was no school by those names before, which wasn't the case in Knott County when Carr Creek, Hindman, and Knott County High consolidated in 1975.

I thought Letcher Central was formed from the consolidation of Whitesburg, Letcher, and Fleming-Neon. I could see why they did add Central to the name.

I thought Letcher Central was formed from the consolidation of Whitesburg, Letcher, and Fleming-Neon. I could see why they did add Central to the name.

That was the name of the schools that consolidated, you are correct. But Letcher High School was not known as Letcher County High School. It received its name from the local community where the school was located in Letcher, Ky., just like Fleming-Neon H.S. and Whitesburg H.S. were named after their local communties.

Titans, colors, red, white and blue. I've heard enrollmment would be AAAA for football classification.

If they're spliting Shelby County High 50/50 the new schools enrollment should be around 930. Right now Shelby County has 1,858 students, according to the KHSAA website.

Wonder how much longer will it be before Scott County High will build a new school? They are busting at the seams right now with an enrollment of 2,235.

If they're spliting Shelby County High 50/50 the new schools enrollment should be around 930. Right now Shelby County has 1,858 students, according to the KHSAA website.

Wonder how much longer will it be before Scott County High will build a new school? They are busting at the seams right now with an enrollment of 2,235.

I think Scott has plans for a magnet school for technical school/performing arts that they are planning to build. It will become a second high school when enrollment would dictate that. I would think with that many kids that they would be looking to building a second high school instead of a performing arts magnet facility. I believe that is supposed to be in the west end of Georgetown on US 460.

Thanks for correcting me on Letcher High School, I forgot that they did not include county in the name.