Martha Layne Collins High School

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could you have Martha L. Collins High School and not be called the "Governors" as your mascot? Come on now...Titans????

Hadn't thought of that. That would definitely make sense.

Some mascot names go toghether like peanut butter and jelly. I mean, what else could Wolfe County be besides Wolves? The Wolfe County Bears just wouldn't be right.:D

Same for the Red Bird Cardinals, the Glasgow Scotties, and my school, the Owsley County Owls. No other names would seem right.

And Governors would fit like a glove for Martha L. Collins High. It's perfect.

Are we talking about Martha Layne or are we talking about Mercer Co.? Come on now let's do our homework and be different.

Maybe they'll still change it. Harlan County changed their mascot name a couple of times before settling on Black Bears. I believe they originally chose Knights as their name.

Forrest?

My original guess was that coach Ligon resigned from Bryan Station while the season was still going on to pursue this position.

I like Ligon and would love to see him return to the 8th. Great guy and good coach. But I can't imagine Ligon returning to Shelby County after the way he was dumped by Shelby County HS... The hint said "ICON"...is he an 8th region icon after three seasons at Shelby?... (How many seasons are required for "icon" status???)

Forrest is done. He is enjoying what he's doing now too much...he's traveling and teaching basketball camps to kids in places like China. I'd be shocked if he returned to full-time coaching.

Curtis Turley??? It is about time for him to move on from wherever he's at. Has Turley ever stayed anywhere more than three years?

I like Ligon and would love to see him return to the 8th. Great guy and good coach. But I can't imagine Ligon returning to Shelby County after the way he was dumped by Shelby County HS... The hint said "ICON"...is he an 8th region icon after three seasons at Shelby?... (How many seasons are required for "icon" status???)

Forrest is done. He is enjoying what he's doing now too much...he's traveling and teaching basketball camps to kids in places like China. I'd be shocked if he returned to full-time coaching.

Curtis Turley??? It is about time for him to move on from wherever he's at. Has Turley ever stayed anywhere more than three years?

Are you sure about Forrest I thought I saw him at the 8th region tournament, was he there to see some of the players that could be at Collins next year?

Are you sure about Forrest I thought I saw him at the 8th region tournament, was he there to see some of the players that could be at Collins next year?

Gary was there. He won't miss an 8th region game. He was also at the 29th games...

I would be absolutely shocked if he took the Collins job.

Was Ligon a HC at Shelby County?

Are we talking about Martha Layne or are we talking about Mercer Co.? Come on now let's do our homework and be different.

No doubt. That is Mercer County's nickname and colors. I hope they change it. The Governors is perfect along with the colors of the state flag. Unbelievable.

If indeed Turley is the hire, I hope Collins is ready to look for another coach within the next year. Only stayed at Lexington Catholic for one season (2004-2005) and didn't win the district that year and only scored 29 points in their regional semi-final loss. Next up was Dupont Manual where he stayed one season (2006-2007) and lost by double digits to every good Jefferson County team they played and didn't win the district. Then Warren East hired him and he gave them - you guessed it - one year (2008-2009) where they won just 7 games but also left them in such a way that they didn't win a single game over a Kentucky high school team this year. Coach Turley is a real estate agent's dream but not the guy you want to put stock into building you a long-lasting basketball program.