8th Region All Region Team

NKU99

To your point, North Oldham and Anderson only played six games in Region. Of those, four were in the district.

The point has some validity. The NCKC teams see each other a lot, and their coaches undoubtedly cast a slightly disproportionate amount of votes to the NCKC teams' players. On the other hand, the larger schools - particularly those on the fringes of the region - the Oldham schools, Shelby, Anderson, and SK - play a lot more teams from other regions. They may have difficulty seeing a star player who's on a team they don't play and their votes may be more "fragmented" among the top players.

All of this said, I'm not sure how you "fix" it. It's probably handled in about the best way possible. Unless you're going to start mandating games between schools, you're always going to have coaches who can't see players. Unless you think another class of voters would do a better job (media? fans? Let's be real! :ohbrother:), the coaches are going to be your best bet for an analysis of the players. I like the setup the way it is...

I think there's two players whose absence is glaring: Emily Lape (Oldham County) and Brooke Hill (Gallatin County). That said - I haven't seen Hill this year (see the point above), so perhaps she didn't have the same kind of season this year as she did last season(???) (I don't know) :idunno:

Lape has been dominating since returning to the Oldham lineup, and set a new school record by scoring 45 points vs. Spencer County. An incredibly accurate shooter, she's a big girl who hits an astonishing percentage beyond the arc. Probably should have been on this list, but who to push off?? All are top-tier players.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point has some validity. The NCKC teams see each other a lot, and their coaches undoubtedly cast a slightly disproportionate amount of votes to the NCKC teams' players. On the other hand, the larger schools - particularly those on the fringes of the region - the Oldham schools, Shelby, Anderson, and SK - play a lot more teams from other regions. They may have difficulty seeing a star player who's on a team they don't play and their votes may be more "fragmented" among the top players.

All of this said, I'm not sure how you "fix" it. It's probably handled in about the best way possible. Unless you're going to start mandating games between schools, you're always going to have coaches who can't see players. Unless you think another class of voters would do a better job (media? fans? Let's be real! :ohbrother:), the coaches are going to be your best bet for an analysis of the players. I like the setup the way it is...

I think there's two players whose absence is glaring: Emily Lape (Oldham County) and Brooke Hill (Gallatin County). That said - I haven't seen Hill this year (see the point above), so perhaps she didn't have the same kind of season this year as she did last season(???) (I don't know) :idunno:

Lape has been dominating since returning to the Oldham lineup, and set a new school record by scoring 45 points vs. Spencer County. An incredibly accurate shooter, she's a big girl who hits an astonishing percentage beyond the arc. Probably should have been on this list, but who to push off?? All are top-tier players.

This is a very true statement- these schools are very loyal to their conference teams(they play each other 2,3 or 4 times per season) and most won't even play the larger schools within the region. I would like to see the region require all schools within the region to play each other every 2 to 3 years- some kind of rotating schedule, so many teams per year. maybe by district or something. I know it would make it difficult schedule wise but might allow teams to see eachother more often. Just a thought.

IMO the all region team should be done differently. Im not sure how it would be better served but I don't really think very many pay much attention to it as it is. Too many politics involved IMO.

I don't Know about the politics, but you should wait till after the tournament to vote on the team.

I don't Know about the politics, but you should wait till after the tournament to vote on the team.

As has already been stated...the vote after the tournament, is for the region's All-Tournament Team. The only players eligible there, are the ones who's team played in the regional tournament.

The All-Region Team, has any player in the region eligible, regardless of what their team does as a whole.

And ColonelMike...I didn't have an easy answer to "fixing" the problem, just wanted to point out the fact that some girls may get votes by coaches who have never seen them.

And as to Lape and Hill...I didn't get to see Emily play this year, but did see Brooke play several times. And I too, was surprised to not see her name there. I believe her scoring average was about the same as last year's, and considering that she didn't have Ashley Jones (graduation) to help draw the defense away this year, I'd say holding steady this year may have actually been an improvement. Don't know, just my opinion.

Surprised that Emily Lape from Oldham Co did not make the list- she did miss some games early on but has been a big factor for them since her return. Also, is this in voting order? Am guessing so...

No. It is not the complete list. It's just the kids i could remember off the top of my head.

And ColonelMike...I didn't have an easy answer to "fixing" the problem, just wanted to point out the fact that some girls may get votes by coaches who have never seen them.

I agree with your point...I just don't think there's a better way to do this... unless we're going to mandate schedules, which I think will never fly.

I have a question about POY Award. I thought it went to the best senior since that player gets an auto tryout for KY IN All Stars. I may be wrong but I was told that several years ago to make sure that players from rural regions were given the chance to try out. Just wondering if anyone has the answer. Thanks.

The only problem that I see with the "system" is that a lot of the voting is probably done on "reputation". When you consider how broad the region is, there's a lot of teams that will be more likely to play teams out of their region, than in their region. For example, Simon Kenton played 8 games in the region this year...but, 6 of them (3 teams, twice) were in their district. So, those 3 teams, along with the 2 others, for a total of 5, actually had coaches that had to face Wainscott.

Meanwhile, Walton-Verona played 9 different teams in the region, so Dixon was seen by nearly twice as many coaches. And yet Wainscott is POY? And before all the Lady Pioneer fans jump my case, I'm not saying she's not deserving! She's a heck of a ball player. I've seen her play this year. I'm just wondering how many of the other 8th region coaches can say the same thing? It's not like they can go home after their game and turn on Sportscenter and even see a highlight package of what she did that night.

At least at the tournament, those voting actually see the players they're voting for.

I would say that most if not all the coaches have seen every team play more than once. Scouting is an essential part of coaching and there has never been a game that I have attended that other coaches were not in attendance.

I would say that most if not all the coaches have seen every team play more than once. Scouting is an essential part of coaching and there has never been a game that I have attended that other coaches were not in attendance.

I can tell you for an absolute fact that many 8th Region coaches have not seen every 8th region team. There simply isn't the time.

And even if they've sent an assistant coach to scout a team they don't expect to play, just on the off-chance they might meet in the region tournament, the guy with the vote still doesn't have first-hand knowledge.

Maybe at the top level, a coach will be "thinking ahead" about a possible matchup in the region, and either send an assistant or go for himself (or herself) to see another team play. But the middle-of-the-pack and lower level schools are going to be focused on just trying to get to top of their district.

Plus, you figure in all the scouting games that would be lost due to both teams playing on the same day, and the shear distance required to get from one end of the region to the other...and I think a lot of coaches would just stay home.

I can tell you for an absolute fact that many 8th Region coaches have not seen every 8th region team. There simply isn't the time.

And even if they've sent an assistant coach to scout a team they don't expect to play, just on the off-chance they might meet in the region tournament, the guy with the vote still doesn't have first-hand knowledge.

I agree. In addition, they will probably not see a weaker team that they don't believe will make it to the region.

Without a doubt politics and reputation is involved. This would seem fairly obvious by the names on the list because there is no way all coaches see these players. Except for the kids, who really takes any of these lists seriously?

Without a doubt politics and reputation is involved. This would seem fairly obvious by the names on the list because there is no way all coaches see these players. Except for the kids, who really takes any of these lists seriously?

Generally speaking, being included on the All-Region team is a nice feather in the cap, and a pat on the back for a good season.

NOT being named to the All-Region team doesn't necessarily mean you didn't belong there... you may just have been seen by too few coaches...