Top teams in 8th and 9th regions?

aptr

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8th Region Henry Co should be tough this season and Walton Verona is a wild card. A bunch of talented young players.

9th Region seems a bit down this year. There will be a few teams that are improved from last season but Conner and Ryle are the head of the class. If I had to pick a dark horse I would have to say Boone, Cooper, maybe even St. Henry. NCC has a nice pitcher and if Sandfoss plays again, she will help a lot.

Just an observation: Northern Kentucky ( 8th and 9th Regions) softball doesn't seemed as evolved as much of the rest of the state has. This is not a knock on kids talent. I am referring to the way the game is taught and coached. That being said, Walton Verona and Henry County will be solid. They could contend.

Just an observation: Northern Kentucky ( 8th and 9th Regions) softball doesn't seemed as evolved as much of the rest of the state has. This is not a knock on kids talent. I am referring to the way the game is taught and coached. That being said, Walton Verona and Henry County will be solid. They could contend.

It all starts with youth leagues. You'll notice Ryle, Boone, and Conner near the top of the 9th every year and that's because of the oustanding youth system that Kenton County doesn't have. It may have changed but a few years ago my daughter had to go to Boone County to get into a good league. It shows.

It all starts with youth leagues. You'll notice Ryle, Boone, and Conner near the top of the 9th every year and that's because of the oustanding youth system that Kenton County doesn't have. It may have changed but a few years ago my daughter had to go to Boone County to get into a good league. It shows.
Not sure I would call the Boone County youth league outstanding. Compared to other parts of the state it is not very good. Other parts of the state have middle school programs and facilities for the girls that are far better than what northern Kentucky has. The 2 large schools in Kenton County(SK and Dixie) have been on par with the 3 large Boone County schools as well. For whatever reason softball just never has really caught on in Northern Kentucky like it has the rest of the state, while at the same time Soccer and Volleyball are top notch here.

Not sure I would call the Boone County youth league outstanding. Compared to other parts of the state it is not very good. Other parts of the state have middle school programs and facilities for the girls that are far better than what northern Kentucky has. The 2 large schools in Kenton County(SK and Dixie) have been on par with the 3 large Boone County schools as well. For whatever reason softball just never has really caught on in Northern Kentucky like it has the rest of the state, while at the same time Soccer and Volleyball are top notch here.

Its been a few years since my daughter played in the Boone league but it was strong at the time as compared to anything offered in Kenton Co.

Volleyball really hurts softball IMO. Club volleyball keeps girls from also playing softball.

Its been a few years since my daughter played in the Boone league but it was strong at the time as compared to anything offered in Kenton Co.

Volleyball really hurts softball IMO. Club volleyball keeps girls from also playing softball.

You are right I don't think Kenton even offered a fastpitch program until maybe 3 or 4 years back. Makes it hard to compete with areas like London, Hopkinsville and Owensboro that are really serious about softball.

They are still behind many areas of the state. I have witnessed this in travel tournaments. NKY teams generally do not fare well in these tournaments ( KY NSA State, ASA State, Sluggerfest, etc....). Aside from the Cincy Doom organization, the same can be said of the whole Cincinnati area in general. I'm not saying that there aren't talented players in NKY/Cincy area, just as a whole. Keep in mind, I have only seen the 12u and 14u age level the past couple of years. I know of several girls at this age level that travel extensively to play on competitive travel teams. The Louisville Stunners 13u team won the USSSA 13U World Series and The Louisville Lady Sluggers 12u team won the ASA "A" Northern Nationals in 2009. Those teams have 2 or 3 NKY girls playing importants roles for them.

As far as NKY, I know the NKY Bandits and the KY Xplosion have several talented players. And some of those girls come from areas that some of you would not consider NKY ( I do). Sorry, did not intend to get of the 8th anf 9th Region topic.

8th Region Henry Co should be tough this season and Walton Verona is a wild card. A bunch of talented young players.

9th Region seems a bit down this year. There will be a few teams that are improved from last season but Conner and Ryle are the head of the class. If I had to pick a dark horse I would have to say Boone, Cooper, maybe even St. Henry. NCC has a nice pitcher and if Sandfoss plays again, she will help a lot.

Not sure why you think the 9th is down. Only 1 player at Conner and Ryle graduated. I think the 9th is as deep and as good as it ever has been.

From what I understand, Conner lost their big pitcher and will look for 3 younger pitchers to carry them along with a strong offense. Ryle lost a very solid player that was very quick, they will not beat themselves(well coached).

I think the 9th is wide open this year. Connor has to be the favorite since they won it last year. As far as surprises I think St Henry or Holy Cross could sneak in if things went there way. HC has two girls that play travel ball for Cincy Doom 95, they are one of the top travel teams in the nation at the U14 level. HC also has two good pitchers and an outstanding catcher. St Henry has some solid pitching and there center fielder and leadoff hitter is one of the better players in the area.