Great Idea for the Private/Public Split

Rambo4343

How is desiring to put the teams that dominate every year in another class not watering down 4A? That would mean that teams like Boone Co., Henderson Co., Tates Creek, etc., would have an easier road to a state title. Sounds like a hollow victory to me, since they didn't get better, they just had the bar lowered for them.

More like Male and Manual would own 4A, and in 5 Years we'd be looking for ways to kick out magnet schools...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is desiring to put the teams that dominate every year in another class not watering down 4A? That would mean that teams like Boone Co., Henderson Co., Tates Creek, etc., would have an easier road to a state title. Sounds like a hollow victory to me, since they didn't get better, they just had the bar lowered for them.

Again, back a few years back whenever it was that they decided on class football, did they water down the state championships and Highlands, Danville, etc, state championships hollow?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the student body of Beechwood does not care that their state championships did not come against the best of the best. AND of course I thought that was why we played the games for the kids, not a bunch of adults.

I don't think the winners of the Class A tournament in basketball care that it is not against the vast majority of the programs in the state.

If you kick out the private schools, I don't think 99% of the High School students that attend school at the state championship school will care that St. X or Trinity are there. Now some adults may get their ego bruised, but I thought HS athletics was for the kids.

I could be mistaken. I usually am.

I got the best idea. Why don't we make it like this. Let's have Div. 1 with all the teams that think they can compete with the St.X., Trinity, Male, Highlands. Div. 2 are all the whinners and teams that can't compete with these schools and then we can make it fair for everybody. It is like stages in a baby or a kid riding there bike for the first time. When they feel they can take off the diapers or the training wheels they can come up to Div.1. What a great idea.

:dancingpa :thumb: :ylsuper: :banana: :banana:

Would you say that being arrogant or being classless would be the most important prerequisite to being allowed in your D-1?

Look, the school I support is 3A. I really don't care if they boot the privates out or keep them in. I do strongly object to the statement that I read over and over in these threads: "If you don't like it, you should work harder". It is my observation that a majority of teams across the state work very hard as do their parents and boosters and (in many cases) their administrations. I will not argue the merits of a private education vs. a public school enviroment, I wish all had this option. I will say that if you want to argue athletic superiority, go ahead, but do not be so blind as to think that it is soley due to work ethics.

I like this. Since EVERY public school student gets ~ $8,000 from the government for his/her education (maybe more), I like the idea of eliminating this financial aid.

WOW. Where do we sign up for this? Because I know for a fact that NO WAY do we receive this money. There is a $25 a day Average daily Attendance fee that each school district receives to educate the student that is IN ATTENDANCE that day. They don't show up and we do not get that money.

Now some of you I know are already reaching for the calendar. 175 days of instruction. Perfect attendance $4,375.

And this is a tired argument. Public schools MUST provide a lot more services than private schools usually do. Transportation for one.

Again, back a few years back whenever it was that they decided on class football, did they water down the state championships and Highlands, Danville, etc, state championships hollow?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the student body of Beechwood does not care that their state championships did not come against the best of the best. AND of course I thought that was why we played the games for the kids, not a bunch of adults.

I don't think the winners of the Class A tournament in basketball care that it is not against the vast majority of the programs in the state.

If you kick out the private schools, I don't think 99% of the High School students that attend school at the state championship school will care that St. X or Trinity are there. Now some adults may get their ego bruised, but I thought HS athletics was for the kids.

This argument is not about Highlands, Beechwood, Danville, etc. It never has been.

It is about how some people who support 4A schools (usually 4A schools in NoKy) complain about the fact that Trinity and St. X dominate. They want a state championship, but would rather focus their energies on complaining rather than improving.

This argument is not about Highlands, Beechwood, Danville, etc. It never has been.

It is about how some people who support 4A schools (usually 4A schools in NoKy) complain about the fact that Trinity and St. X dominate. They want a state championship, but would rather focus their energies on complaining rather than improving.

I understand better now. Thank you. From an outsider looking in, I was seeing a different view from what was being said.

So you are okay with separation by school size but not other measures. Is that correct?

I am fine with any separation that uses reasonable criteria. A proposal that says that if you attend a private school and don't have enough money you can't play sports is a really bad idea and one that will generate a really bad response.

You just hit on the heart of the issue. It isn't about kicking out private schools. Schools are just buildings. These proposals are about kicking out KIDS, our kids. If people come after our kids, they are going to get a fight. And you are right HS athletics are for the kids, and that includes our kids.

You just hit on the heart of the issue. It isn't about kicking out private schools. Schools are just buildings. These proposals are about kicking out KIDS, our kids. If people come after our kids, they are going to get a fight. And you are right HS athletics are for the kids, and that includes our kids.

This is not my words, so don't :flame: get me too bad. But the argument I have heard to what you are saying, is you CHOSE to take your children out of the public school system and that should include the athletic system that the public schools are using.

There exists financial aid in the public school system as well. The free/reduced price lunch program, etc. That term is too generic.

So you want to penalize a student for the schools providing him/her, maybe the only, meal they will receive that day. And please don't tell me that I am exaggerating with "the only." I have students that the breakfast they eat in my class and the lunch that we serve is their only 2 meals of the day.

Now some of you I know are already reaching for the calendar. 175 days of instruction. Perfect attendance $4,375.

WOW! Are you saying that total expenditures for a high school student in Kentucky are only $4,375 per year? That isn't a lot. With a teacher to student ratio of 20:1, that's only $87,500 per year for everything from teacher salary, to administration, to building operations, to supplies. WOW!

WOW! Are you saying that total expenditures for a high school student in Kentucky are only $4,375 per year? That isn't a lot. With a teacher to student ratio of 20:1, that's only $87,500 per year for everything from teacher salary, to administration, to building operations, to supplies. WOW!

I had to know that number for a class project about 2 weeks ago and called our Director of Pupil Personnel. He gave me that figure.