September 11, 200521 yr If the private schools would not recruit the other player from surrounding schools, I would not have a problem. Everybody knows, for example in Lexington, no school plays Lexington Cath. unless it is tourney play. People will not say it is true, but recruiting goes on in high school sports. But we lived with this for how many years now and we have went. So, we need to just go play the games and get better and hope the kids do not want to go to a private school.
September 11, 200521 yr Why not give the public schools that want the split the option of forming their own association. Then all the public schools that aren't afraid of battling the private schools can still do so, and those wimping out, can knock on eachother for a title no one will care about.
September 12, 200521 yr "We always wanted to win the big thing," said Hauck, whose Boone County teams lost in the state finals three times to Louisville Catholic schools St. Xavier and Trinity. "We wanted to beat the best - whether it was St. X or Trinity or anyone else. It would have always been a question in the back of your mind (if there were separate playoffs)." Ky. high school insider
September 13, 200521 yr I understand the Public school point of view. I also understand the Private school point of view. The bottom line is this- The public schools and private schools are different as we all know, but every school system have their own crosses to bare. For example, some people can't afford to send their kid to a private school, which might not economically sound for them. Not everyone can have the same opportunities in life as others, but when that opportunity comes take advantage of it. The Private schools do tons of fund-raising that some small business people start locking their doors when they see us coming around. Their are a ton of parents who sacrifice to put their kids in school. Yes, alot of people send their kids to Catholic schools who are not Catholic because they know their is more structure and discipline involved and if you don't believe me I know, I have worked in both places. I am not saying all public schools are like this and you all know as well as I do it starts from the top. That is why I think the Catholic schools structure is better because they are taught from the same moral values the Catholic church in Rome teaches. Yes, you do hear about a few bad apples in the Catholic church, but I guarantee you the priests were taught a lot better and they went off and did their own thing because they left their basic structure and moral values of the church, which is selfish. Anyway, my point is their are whammies on both sides of the fence. If they want to kick the Catholic schools out fine. I promise you, in 2 yrs the KHSAA will have us back because of the economics of the whole thing. Money from gates. :ylsuper: A private, Catholic school may have moral values, I won't argue with that and that is a good thing, but what if we don't believe in Catholicism? I don't have the same beliefs as Catholics on a lot of issues so we can pretty much throw the whole catholic "moral" argument out IMO. And I will continue to argue that the money issue is not what High School sports should be about. The KHSAA is supposed to be a non-profit organization that just enforces the rules.
September 13, 200521 yr Author A private, Catholic school may have moral values, I won't argue with that and that is a good thing, but what if we don't believe in Catholicism? I don't have the same beliefs as Catholics on a lot of issues so we can pretty much throw the whole catholic "moral" argument out IMO. And I will continue to argue that the money issue is not what High School sports should be about. The KHSAA is supposed to be a non-profit organization that just enforces the rules. If you don't believe in Catholicsm, fine, but the true catholic church structure has high moral standards. Not every Catholic lives up to these standards. Some don't even try. That is another story. My answer would be don't send your kids there. The KHSAA is a non-profit organization, but all non-profit organizations have to make money to function.
September 13, 200521 yr If you don't believe in Catholicsm, fine, but the true catholic church structure has high moral standards. Not every Catholic lives up to these standards. Some don't even try. That is another story. My answer would be don't send your kids there. The KHSAA is a non-profit organization, but all non-profit organizations have to make money to function. I agree with everything you say, I went to a catholic elementary school so I know how the system works, to an extent, I didn't go to a catholic high school so I can't speak from experience on that. I don't really want to get into a religious debate on here cause we are talking about football. I am just saying that I personally don't see the benefit that some see in sending my child to a catholic school for the moral aspect, I think I should be able to teach my child that at home and in raising them, which is something that the public schools are sadly having to do nowadays. As for the money issue, if you dropped a chunk of schools out of the association, it would be that much less money needed to support the KHSAA so it would just be a wash.
September 13, 200521 yr Author I agree with everything you say, I went to a catholic elementary school so I know how the system works, to an extent, I didn't go to a catholic high school so I can't speak from experience on that. I don't really want to get into a religious debate on here cause we are talking about football. I am just saying that I personally don't see the benefit that some see in sending my child to a catholic school for the moral aspect, I think I should be able to teach my child that at home and in raising them, which is something that the public schools are sadly having to do nowadays. As for the money issue, if you dropped a chunk of schools out of the association, it would be that much less money needed to support the KHSAA so it would just be a wash. I understand. As for the money, It doesn't make sense. If Trinity, St.X, and Male draw the biggest crowds what will happen if the state championship only has 5,000 people. I am just saying from an economic standpoint it is not sound at all.
September 13, 200521 yr I understand. As for the money, It doesn't make sense. If Trinity, St.X, and Male draw the biggest crowds what will happen if the state championship only has 5,000 people. I am just saying from an economic standpoint it is not sound at all. But you still only talking about one game, I am talking about the whole season. I would still think that the 4A title game would draw lots of fans simply cause of the size of the schools. Is the money that comes from the KHSAA state championship games the only money the KHSAA gets all year?
September 13, 200521 yr Author But you still only talking about one game, I am talking about the whole season. I would still think that the 4A title game would draw lots of fans simply cause of the size of the schools. Is the money that comes from the KHSAA state championship games the only money the KHSAA gets all year? Yes.
September 13, 200521 yr This argument is not about Highlands, Beechwood, Danville, etc. It never has been. It is about how some people who support 4A schools (usually 4A schools in NoKy) complain about the fact that Trinity and St. X dominate. They want a state championship, but would rather focus their energies on complaining rather than improving. Yeah, that about covers it. The people pushing this proposal have already forgotten one thing: If you don't believe you can win, you've already lost. They don't even believe in themselves, their coaches or their kids.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.